NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mookie Betts 2017 Outlook

All this jibber-jabber for a guy who is hitless so far tonight...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, absknicks said:

A bit of a letdown is a lot different than labeling him a bust

He was ranked in the 40s or 50s of 5x5 at the time and his OPS was hovering around .800. For a guy who went #2 overall, that's the textbook definition of a bit of a letdown to me. Sorry if you don't see it that way, but I'm guessing plenty do. 

I agree that we should stop here, though. This isn't going anywhere. 

Betts is at 16 on ESPN's player rater now. Is that solid?

2 hours ago, Dr. Whom said:

All this jibber-jabber for a guy who is hitless so far tonight...

Where were you two nights ago? Or does your keyboard deactivate when Mookie does well? 

13 minutes ago, JetsAwesome said:

i mean i know were supposed to bow to this guy but he has so many 0-5 nights for a star player - it kills you sometimes.   Im in an OBP and Slugging league so his 0-6 destroy my percentages.  Other lesser players draw walks or at least get one hit.

I mean is he 0-14  since the weekend explosion.  I wish he was a more consistent superstar because when he goes ice cold he kills you.

It is frustrating that he disappears for days sometimes weeks. Yes every player can be up and down in get it, but some games and stretches just been so darn rough.

I'm a Sox fan who watches most of the games. Just been too many nights when everyone else in the lineup has done at least something and he's popping up or grounding out. Even worse when it's against a crappy pitcher everyone else seems to have got a least a base hit.

As good as he's been though, I've never got the feeling watching him so far this year where he looks locked in. For a player of his talent, some of his at bats have looked terrible. Not sure why he's been so inconsistent and so many ofers, but I'd like to him scatter some production around a bit more. Hopefully he'll be more consistent second half.

For the record (not that facts mean anything around here, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

5 x 5 rating-

Mookie 14th overall 

LoMo 74th overall

Souza 93rd overall

And don't tell me about where guys were drafted. Mookie is almost top 15, and the quote was these others are performing "at or near his level."

EDIT- We can discuss Mookie struggling. 0-14. Inconsistent this season. Those are discussions we can have intelligently. But if it comes with whining & "alternative facts," you'll just be mocked. 

Edited by Backdoor Slider
18 minutes ago, JetsAwesome said:

this is basically all that i was saying and people are going crazy defending Mookie on here. There's game where the whole offense explodes and he won't have a single hit.  it's happened more than a couple of times this year!

He's not locked in - he has spurts of goodness then his average drops back towards 275 when he goes cold.  'Im not asking for perfect just moderate consistency - but people on this thread wont admit hes one of the most inconsistent superstars there is.  If I wanted inconsistent high end productions i'd roster LoMo or Steve Souza but those guys are waiver guys who are performing at or near Mookie's level.

Edited by Bugs bunny
8 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

For the record (not that facts mean anything around here, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

5 x 5 rating-

Mookie 14th overall 

LoMo 74th overall

Souza 93rd overall

And don't tell me about where guys were drafted. Mookie is almost top 15, and the quote was these others are performing "at or near his level."

EDIT- We can discuss Mookie struggling. 0-14. Inconsistent this season. Those are discussions we can have intelligently. But if it comes with whining & "alternative facts," you'll just be mocked. 

Ok some of that was def hyperbole on my part - but if you read my comments Mookie goes through long stretches on being bad then gets hot a couple of games to knock his numbers back up.  I was just saying his production wasn't consistent and for the price some owners paid they were expecting a little more consistency.  That's all!

Let me throw something out there. Hopefully i don't get crucified but I understand if I do. I love owning Mookie. I don't regret picking him in the first round. Having said that, I'm starting to think he might be a better Rotisserie player than a H2H player. The counting stats are there and I still think he can get really hot after the ASB. But a lot of his stats come in small pockets of hot streaks before he fizzles out for a little while. These hot streaks are really helpful in the weeks that they happen. But in H2H, my hope is that my first rounder is a consistent help to my team. Someone who I can rely on to contribute every single week. And Mookie really hasn't been that. He obviously hasn't been completely disappointing. He's given me great production. But I think in H2H, you would be lying if you weren't at least slightly let down by his first half. I'm really hoping he proves me wrong in the second half. 

Just now, Heisenberg90 said:

Let me throw something out there. Hopefully i don't get crucified but I understand if I do. I love owning Mookie. I don't regret picking him in the first round. Having said that, I'm starting to think he might be a better Rotisserie player than a H2H player. The counting stats are there and I still think he can get really hot after the ASB. But a lot of his stats come in small pockets of hot streaks before he fizzles out for a little while. These hot streaks are really helpful in the weeks that they happen. But in H2H, my hope is that my first rounder is a consistent help to my team. Someone who I can rely on to contribute every single week. And Mookie really hasn't been that. He obviously hasn't been completely disappointing. He's given me great production. But I think in H2H, you would be lying if you weren't at least slightly let down by his first half. I'm really hoping he proves me wrong in the second half. 

Fair. No idea which hitters are consistent week to week. My assumption is that only the batters you don't own are the ones (you think) are consistent. But maybe there's some statistics out there that support this. Won't get crucified for laying out things logically. 

^ that's a perfectly fair criticism. Although I don't fully buy it because I own him in H2H as well. I've never lost a week because of Mookie but he has won me weeks. If you drafted decently and had some waiver wire luck this year, Mookie isn't a problem. 

There's no established studies anywhere that say a player who goes off for 8 HR in a week then provides 0 HR the next 3 weeks is less valuable than a guy who consistently produces 2 HR/week. 

a 48 HR season is a 48 HR season regardless of how the production was accrued. 

1 minute ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Fair. No idea which hitters are consistent week to week. My assumption is that only the batters you don't own are the ones (you think) are consistent. But maybe there's some statistics out there that support this. Won't get crucified for laying out things logically. 

I guess I shouldn't have said "every single week". But there are definitely guys who are consistent the majority of weeks. Some examples off the top of my head (Judge, Votto, Trout, Harper)

4 minutes ago, Heisenberg90 said:

I guess I shouldn't have said "every single week". But there are definitely guys who are consistent the majority of weeks. Some examples off the top of my head (Judge, Votto, Trout, Harper)

Well Judge has been ridiculous. No one saw that coming. But this is what I'm talking about. Harper definitely hasn't been. 

Bryce hit .391 in April. .256 in May.   And in June, Bryce hit only 3 HR the entire month (9 & 6 the previous two). 

This is my point. In H2H you feel like just YOUR guys are inconsistent. It's just not the case.

Edited by Backdoor Slider

Maybe people will learn and stop playing H2H format in a game that has so much variance. It's hard to take people serious that focus on week long sample sizes.

If studs like Mookie are hurting you because of week long sample sizes, play with settings that better reflect season long production.

2 minutes ago, Heisenberg90 said:

I'm just pointing out what a top 5 pick should look like. .274 is disappointing. 

Betts is sitting at 18 overall on the player rater ahead of the following 1st rounders:

Jose Altuve

Nolan Arenado

Manny Machado

Kris Bryant

Josh Donaldson

Anthony Rizzo