Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mookie Betts 2017 Outlook


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Mookie. Always showed up for me when I need it most- I swear y’all other Mookie owners are ungrateful and must expect him to just carry your team to a ship lol it don’t work that way 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If he rests tomorrow he may actually end the season with an OPS over .800 (.803).

 

Big-time letdown for a guy who went 2nd overall, but at least he eclipsed .800 for what seems like the first time in months. Will be interesting to see where he goes in drafts next season. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, 6Kill said:

Thank you Mookie. Always showed up for me when I need it most- I swear y’all other Mookie owners are ungrateful and must expect him to just carry your team to a ship lol it don’t work that way 

 

He was the 2nd overall pick who struggled to put up an .800 OPS all year long. This isn't a matter of anyone being ungrateful. If you're objective and understand what good production is- he was a letdown. It's really as simple as that. I'm glad you're a loyal Mookie fan, though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Max Rockatansky said:

 

Yes, he was exposed with a .927 OPS after the break.

 

On the other side Mookie Betts posted a stellar .735.

 

That guy is completely clueless. It's actually sad at this point.

Edited by absknicks
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Backdoor Slider said:

It appears there are guys on the board who play in roto 1 x 1 leagues where just OPS counts. I guess I see where you’re coming from if the 24 HR/26 SB didn’t help you. Maybe consider updating your categories? ??

Buxton 15th round or later went .253/68/26/51/28 and people are still saying what a disappointment in 459 AB. 

 

Guess maybe Mookie as a 2nd pick is also disappointing

Edited by Low and Away
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Elvis Andrus outperformed Trout this year. 

Fact!

 

 

This is fun. Should we do some more?? 

um, trout outperformed andrus in 240 less at bats

 

but feel free to try again

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

um, trout outperformed andrus in 240 less at bats

 

but feel free to try again

ESPN player Rater disagrees with you. How about Whit Merrifield? 

 

Have you realized how pointless this exercise is yet, or nah? 

 

Every year guys come out of nowhere and finish top 25. That’s what wins you leagues. Your 1st round pick finishing 27th doesn’t kill you. This has been explained ad nauseam.  

Edited by Backdoor Slider
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

ESPN player Rater disagrees with you. How about Whit Merrifield? 

 

Have you realized how pointless this exercise is yet, or nah? 

 

Every year guys come out of nowhere and finish top 25. That’s what wins you leagues. Your 1st round pick finishing 27th doesn’t kill you. This has been explained ad nauseam.  

you are so rustled by Betts sub par play that you are now resorting to calling whit merrifield and elvis andrus superior to mike trout

 

giphy.gif

Edited by jfazz23
Link to post
Share on other sites

[Guys, enough with the pissing match.  There is no One True Universally Accepted way to value players, and the debate isn't covering any new ground here.  Agree to disagree, or find a way to de-escalate the argument that doesn't involve all-caps sarcasm and snarky reaction GIFs.]

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

you are so rustled by Betts sub par play that you are now resorting to calling whit merrifield and elvis andrus superior to mike trout

 

giphy.gif

Why lie? Show me where I called them superior to Mike Trout. I said they finished ahead of him on ESPN Player Rater. That’s a fact. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Andrus produced more overall value than Trout this year.  Chances are Trout + the replacement player for the weeks he was on the DL probably beats Andrus.  None of this matters much though.  I agree with @Backdoor Slider, that while Mookie's year was not ideal it fell very far from killing you. He had a better year than Bryant, Machado, Miguel, Donaldson, Harper, Correa, Turner (but Turner + replacement is probably a winner), Rizzo.  

 

All I take away from this year, is that it's probably his floor year. He has like 5 more seasons in his 20s.   His walk rater rose and his babip was very low. Good recipie for a bounce back and more steals. Devers came in late, Hanley was pretty bad, the Red Sox probably get better offensively next year.  I'm fine with him in the first round next year, and I probably have him in the first half of the first round still.

Edited by brockpapersizer
Link to post
Share on other sites

For anyone worried about Betts' batting average, xStats (which uses statcast driven batted ball data) has Betts down for an xBA of .296. It was down from .310 last year, but still a lot better than the average he ended up with this year. You could say that he was actually unlucky in that department. All other counting stats were very nice.

Edited by lassetjus
Link to post
Share on other sites

I won one league with Betts and lost another...if you expect Betts to carry you then your up s--- creek from the start cause no single player will make the difference he didn't put up the stats we thought but didn't hurt us...

 

backdoor slider has argued for him all season and i agree with him 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Despite the lower batting average, Betts is still absolute money in points leagues due to his extremely low K%. 100+ runs, 100+ RBI, 25+ SB? I'll take that. Your first round pick won't necessarily determine how you finish in your league. I would be thrilled to end up with Betts, I just wouldn't take him if I have a top 5 pick.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, lassetjus said:

For anyone worried about Betts' batting average, xStats (which uses statcast driven batted ball data) has Betts down for an xBA of .296. It was down from .310 last year, but still a lot better than the average he ended up with this year. You could say that he was actually unlucky in that department. All other counting stats were very nice.

And honestly, it's the difference of a few hits. BA is overrated most of the time, and people really should either use a combo of BA + OBP or just straight up OPS. imo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Andrus produced more overall value than Trout this year.  Chances are Trout + the replacement player for the weeks he was on the DL probably beats Andrus.  None of this matters much though.  I agree with @Backdoor Slider, that while Mookie's year was not ideal it fell very far from killing you. He had a better year than Bryant, Machado, Miguel, Donaldson, Harper, Correa, Turner (but Turner + replacement is probably a winner), Rizzo.  

 

All I take away from this year, is that it's probably his floor year. He has like 5 more seasons in his 20s.   His walk rater rose and his babip was very low. Good recipie for a bounce back and more steals. Devers came in late, Hanley was pretty bad, the Red Sox probably get better offensively next year.  I'm fine with him in the first round next year, and I probably have him in the first half of the first round still.

 

By what measure? Some of those guys you mentioned OPSed .150 points higher than Betts. He was a significantly worse hitter than Bryant/Rizzo this year. And the other guys you mentioned he only was better than due to injuries. Bottomline this is a guy who could barely OPS .800 in a year in which the ball is juiced. That's startling for a guy who was seemingly the unquestioned #2 overall pick before the season.

Edited by absknicks
Link to post
Share on other sites

He revealed a couple weeks ago that he was bothered by pain in his thumb for much of the second half. I'd be shocked if that didn't factor into his struggles, since the power outage and batting average drop was like nothing we've seen from him before. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he bounces back to hit .290+ next year with more power.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...