NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mookie Betts 2017 Outlook

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mookie Betts hasn't struck out in 110 plate appearances dating to Sept. 12. According to Elias, it's longest streak by any hitter since Juan Pierre in 2004 (147 PA), longest by Red Sox hitter since Wade Boggs in 1984 (117 PA).

Billy-D_Approves.gif

1 hour ago, einstein2u said:

alright mookie. I am going celibate until he hits a homer.  no nothing until this dude hits a homer!

monk einstein until it happens.

Haven't you been doing that unintentionally anyways?

Also, he seems to be heating up so he should be alright. Plus I'll take 3/5 with a pair of doubles all day even if he doesn't hit a homer all year, honestly.

On 4/12/2017 at 9:33 PM, Triple Short Of a Cycle said:

Not like this

He's a streaky hitter. Plain and simple. He will get so hot it will be hard to believe, and of course, there will be the cold spells. At the end of the season, his stats will say he's the best hitter in baseball. As was the case last season.

Edited by Z06vette

I wouldn't trade him for anyone not named Mike Trout

even without a single steal or homer, he looks amazing. total control. amazing balance of quick-twitch and wiry-strength.

contact+speed+power.

A+  plate vision.

he oozes so much talent, the key is waiting for his pitch to drive-- and not just swinging because he can hit it. because he can probably hit anything. 

Still so young (won't turn 30 until late 2022!). I believe he has a tiny bit more filling out to do (muscle wise) and when he gets there, it's going to be Game Over for the rest of the league. And it might be already. 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS

NESN said he hasn't struck out once over his last 123 plate attempts lol, next closest was Pereza at like 43 or so and a few guys around 30 something. That's pretty amazing to me, his counting stats should really pick up sooner than later. 

9 minutes ago, tonywow said:

NESN said he hasn't struck out once over his last 123 plate attempts lol, next closest was Pereza at like 43 or so and a few guys around 30 something. That's pretty amazing to me, his counting stats should really pick up sooner than later. 

Wow, that's really crazy!

Any bets (no pun intended) on who's gonna break that streak?

I'm betting Brad Brach in the Baltimore series later this week

30 minutes ago, tonywow said:

Yeah, but he has 1 homer, maybe 7 or 8 doubles in that span. Hasn't really driven the ball well. He's too good of a hitter for that to continue for much longer, but 120 PA's with no power is an eyebrow raiser.

27 minutes ago, Red Sox Nation said:

Yeah, but he has 1 homer, maybe 7 or 8 doubles in that span. Hasn't really driven the ball well. He's too good of a hitter for that to continue for much longer, but 120 PA's with no power is an eyebrow raiser.

Interesting. Maybe substituting a bit too much power in order to simply get the bat on the ball? I love his bat to ball skills, and the PA streak without a strikeout is crazy in this day and age, but if it comes at the expense of his power that'll certainly cut into his value. 

14 hours ago, Red Sox Nation said:

i drafted betts for a 20/20 .300 season with all the R & RBI that come with hitting in one of the best lineups in baseball. So far he's done nothing to dissuade me. It's a loooong season.