NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ian Anderson - SP ATL

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He has two things in his favor: 1. 6'3" and only 170 lbs.  Lots of room left for muscle. 2. He's also the lead singer of Jethro Tull, which makes him AWESOME!

Wander Franco has 0 Ks in 9 games in High A Ian Anderson struck him out in the first PA of the bottom of the first.

Eh they are all slightly different development stages and a decent percentage of these guys will have injury issues.. It'll work itself out.  Cream will rise to the top. This is exactly how you build

6 hours ago, osb_tensor said:

i used to think of atlanta as a good organization for pitcher development.. is this still the case?

They definitely have a lot of options. Anderson, Touki, Soroka, Newcom, Allard, Anderson, Fried, Wentz, Gohara and Weigel could all be major league caliber starting pitchers eventually. My only concern is that they'll only have 5 rotation spots. Someone from that group will have to get traded or go to the pen.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Coach George said:

They definitely have a lot of options. Anderson, Touki, Soroka, Newcom, Allard, Anderson, Fried, Wentz, Gohara and Weigel could all be major league caliber starting pitchers eventually. My only concern is that they'll only have 5 rotation spots. Someone from that group will have to get traded or go to the pen.

Some will get traded some will flop. Really hope they all get a fair shot to be in the rotation.  I think the Braves will make a playoff push next year and probably trade a few of them away.

It's insane how many arms they have.

32 minutes ago, Coach George said:

Eh they are all slightly different development stages and a decent percentage of these guys will have injury issues.. It'll work itself out.  Cream will rise to the top. This is exactly how you build up a farm stockpile and let the brightest of them separate themselves..

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Anderson stellar in second start with Rome:

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/atlanta-braves-prospect-ian-anderson-stellar-in-second-class-a-rome-start/c-224301816/t-185364810

Braves No. 6 prospect Ian Anderson struck out eight and allowed two hits and two walks over five scoreless innings Friday afternoon, notching his first Class A win as Rome rolled, 9-2, over Charleston at State Mutual Stadium.

Making the second start of his first full season, the 18-year-old right-hander, who throws in the low-to-mid-90s with his fastball to go with an above-average slider and average changeup, wasted little time finding his groove, striking out the side in the first inning. He retired nine RiverDogs in a row to open the game -- six via the strikeout and each of those on swinging third strikes -- and threw first-pitch strikes to six of them.

Taken with the third overall pick in 2016 out of an upstate New York high school, the 6-foot-3 hurler has acclimated himself well so far to the South Atlantic League. In his first two starts, he's allowed only one earned run on four hits and five walks while striking out 16 in 9 2/3 innings. That's impressive for a teenager who is supposed to be just finding his footing at the full-season level, but he's not trying to focus too much on the numbers just yet.

On 2017-02-21 at 5:34 PM, Coach George said:

Chances are not all of them live up to the prospect rankings or the expectations. Fact is, if 3-4 of them are staples in the rotation in the future and 1-2 are relief arms in the pen then you have been successful! This is similar to the way teams like the mets and giants have done it in the past. It has worked out well for both clubs. It mostly reminds me of the cubs with hitters however. The cubs were terrible, stockpiled all the young hitting they could get their hands on through picks and trades and look how that worked out! Atlanta is doing the same with pitchers. Right now Allard, Anderson and Soroka look like the best of the group and Newcomb figures to be a rotation staple in the bigs fairly soon. A lot can change with young arms but it could be fun for Braves fans in a couple seasons!

• 1 month later...

A general question about Atlanta pitching prospects...are any of you guys worried about the new ballpark in Atlanta? Are you starting to look to deal a guy like Ian or Newcomb knowing they will be pitching in a top 3 hitters park if they do make it to the show? I shy away from Rockies pitching prospects because of Coors. Same with Arizona pitchers. I am about to put Atlanta in that same category and seeing if anyone had similar concerns.

2 hours ago, thezing1 said:

A general question about Atlanta pitching prospects...are any of you guys worried about the new ballpark in Atlanta? Are you starting to look to deal a guy like Ian or Newcomb knowing they will be pitching in a top 3 hitters park if they do make it to the show? I shy away from Rockies pitching prospects because of Coors. Same with Arizona pitchers. I am about to put Atlanta in that same category and seeing if anyone had similar concerns.

i agree with your concern, but i believe it's too early to determine what degree of a hitters park Atlanta is. it's my recollection that park factors take several seasons to actually stabilize, and while it appears to be hitter friendly at this point, there's certainly not enough data to support this statement. i don't think you're wrong at all, but until something is a bit more concrete i'd hate to do anything rash with my current prospects and/or make future draft decisions based on this assumption.

i agree with arizona and colorado, and if atl turns out to be the same, i would definitely shy away from their pitching prospects in the future.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2017 at 10:49 PM, Ben Edelman said:

He has two things in his favor:

1. 6'3" and only 170 lbs.  Lots of room left for muscle.

2. He's also the lead singer of Jethro Tull, which makes him AWESOME!

Easy nickname; Locomotive Breath

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bigbossman said:

what's going on with this kid?  He pitched only 3 innings last start....no hits, six Ks....was there a rain delay or did he get hurt?

Lakewood Blue Claws 2 - Rome Braves 3

Box Score

• Randy Ventura - 4-for-4, PO, CS (all hits were singles); .305/.350/.340, 103 wRC+
  • Ian Anderson - 3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 6 K;

Ian Anderson continues to work with limited pitch counts, but hurled three perfect innings to begin this game for Rome. The R-Braves scored all of their runs in the second with a flurry of activity, including a hit-by-pitch, a double, three singles, a sacrifice fly, two steals, and another bunt single. They left the bases loaded, so the damage could have been far greater.

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Amazing how little attention he received last year (and really still is too low on many lists popping out). Prob one of my favorite pitching prospects, who could really leap to the top of the arm landscape, when presumably guys like Whitley, Luzardo, Honeywell, Soroka and Mize graduate soon. I don't think ATL is in any hurry with him, but if he really continues to wow in AA and the command makes marginal gains he could be fast tracked, esp given the window for the braves.

• Like 2

Just a CBS recap from last year:

He continues to get better every year, and held High-A and Double-A hitters to a .199 AVG while allowing just two home runs en route to a 2.49 ERA. The 6-foot-3, 180-pound righty has prototypical size and an athletic delivery. He used his mid-90s fastball and plus curveball to lead the Florida State League with a 28.5 K%. That mark climbed to 30% across four starts in the Southern League, as his changeup steadily improved as the year went on. His command and control waxes and wanes, but when he is pounding the zone he is one of the best pitchers in the minors. Anderson logged a 1.17 ERA, 0.67 WHIP and 66 strikeouts in 53.2 innings across the nine starts where he walked one or fewer.

• Like 3
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The free passes are getting ridiculous and a big concern. Seems to be a problem in Braves system with many of their pitching prospects. The upside is big here but a 7.07 BB/9, which is what he's got thus far in AA this season isnt anywhere close to cutting it. 

Im beginning to think we may not see him in Atlanta in 2019. 

He's one of only 5 pitchers in AA under 22 years old though. He hasn't had excellent command prior to AA, but I'd guess the increase in walks has to do with the aggressive placement. I think he'll get it worked out. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...