NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Devontae Booker 2017 Season Outlook

boltup15

15 hours ago, Jetdog16 said:

Booker was better last year than some realize. He showed 3-down ability and can do everything pretty well. CJA isn't very good and has been on the brink of losing his job for 2.5 years now. Not saying it'll happen, but the potential for Booker to win a majority of the backfield touches is possible

No it’s not possible.   Until CJA gets hurt.    He is the cuff for Anderson but that’s it. 

Frankly the talk around Denver is that Jamaal will get more touches and CJA will maintain about a 50-55% share.    He’s the guy I’d roster if

you want a startable asset immediately.   

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

No it’s not possible.   Until CJA gets hurt.    He is the cuff for Anderson but that’s it. 

Frankly the talk around Denver is that Jamaal will get more touches and CJA will maintain about a 50-55% share.    He’s the guy I’d roster if

you want a startable asset immediately.   

Right. Glad you're so sure. CJA is going to get hurt anyway.

I went back and looked at the play by play because Booker's line last game was intriguing. Almost all of his production came when the defense was playing prevent and/or didn't care. End of the 1st half when Denver was deep in their own territory and final few plays of the game when Denver was mailing it in. He's not involved when it matters. He's definitely just a cuff to CJ and if CJ did go down Charles would get more work, which still might not leave enough for Booker to be a fantasy asset. 

Devontae Booker Week 9 Outlook - Broncos at Eagles

By Mike Tagliere (FantasyPros)Wednesday, Nov 1st

Where the Eagles have struggled is pass-catching running backs, allowing eight running backs to rack up 20 or more receiving yards. Since Booker's return, he has caught 10 passes for 114 yards in the last three games, while C.J. Anderson has just two catches for 24 yards, and Jamaal Charles has six catches for 27 yards. It's odd to say, but Booker may have flex value this week against the Eagles, while Charles is getting further and further off the map.

I have no choice but to start him this week. Hoping for the best...

As much as I’ve trash talked Booker this season, he has looked pretty good in limited action. You’re just at the complete mercy of the coaching staff and the nonsensical RB rotation they’re using. That said, he was pretty much the exclusive red zone back the last couple games and he’s a good pass catcher. Reminds me of Charles Sims tbh, with maybe a tad more running talent

Edited by lolcopter

13 hours ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

I read today that Vance Joseph wants to give him a bit more run. Are we looking at flex value?

Very possibly- If he’s the red zone and receiving guy.    In a bye week you could do worse.  Charles seems to be fading after his second fumble of the season.   

27 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Very possibly- If he’s the red zone and receiving guy.    In a bye week you could do worse.  Charles seems to be fading after his second fumble of the season.   

1 minute ago, Jetdog16 said:

Booker is the best back on the team. Doesn't fumble, can handle all 3 downs, etc. He could seize the job down the stretch, but one of these RB's needs to be kicked out of the rotation 

Booker's looking a ton better than last year, but with three capable backs I'd suggest that he will not emerge as they playoff star owners are looking for. Even if one of these guys goes down due to injury, it's still a two-headed committee. To me, Charles is looking solid, and he's demonstrating burst whenever touching the ball, despite last week's fumble. Booker has had fumble troubles of his own (3 last year), but if he keeps on running well and holding onto the ball, I reckon Charles' contract will not be renewed (it's a one-year deal) and Booker will be a great keeper for next year. Charles staying healthy was the big question, and he might be a good keeper for next year as well, assuming he lands on a favorable team.

1 hour ago, Jetdog16 said:

Booker is the best back on the team. Doesn't fumble, can handle all 3 downs, etc. He could seize the job down the stretch, but one of these RB's needs to be kicked out of the rotation 

Agree that he’s the best compliment for CJA but I’ve seen nothing to suggest he grinds out tough yards inside or can break/slip tackles like CJ.  Anderson turns nothing into 3 yards and 3 yards into 5.  That’s winning football.  Brock and CJ have a well established trust-  he’ll need that if they are to have any success going forward .  

Booker has mostly gotten chunk yards through dump offs in garbage time and a TD running through a massive Ron Leary hole.   CJ did all the dirty work to get them down there and then Booker comes in for the TD-  that was bs.   Just my opinion though.  

I just scooped Booker and I'm not a CJ owner. He'll never be the sole back but I think Booker has a shot at taking over the majority shares in the committee. Doesn't sound like much but it would make him more valuable than CJ currently is, due to his passing game work.

DEN is already giving him solid opportunity. It appears he's their main passing down and redzone guy. 

On 11/2/2017 at 8:50 AM, Jetdog16 said:

CJA has averaged 4.5 YPC and has yet to fumble, he is the best back on the team, no doubt about that. It would take an injury, which is much more likely than Booker beating out CJA, and then he would be a good option. But he's not currently the best healthy back on the team.

8 minutes ago, dakimbell said:

CJA has averaged 4.5 YPC and has yet to fumble, he is the best back on the team, no doubt about that. It would take an injury, which is much more likely than Booker beating out CJA, and then he would be a good option. But he's not currently the best healthy back on the team.

Just not true. Vance Joseph himself has said Booker was the likely starter this yr before going down. His skill set is much more versatile and he is much more athletic than "CJA".