NBC Sports Edge Forums

Devontae Booker 2017 Season Outlook

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, joey0480 said:

Three headed backfield regardless sadly

I don't see it that way. Bookers snap count % has been trending upward every week, peaking at over 50% last week. Booker is the most complete back on the team, leading the team in rushing last week as well as serving as the pass catching back. CJ is gone after this year, with a new OC and Lynch now starting I could see them trying to see what they have for future references. It might be the optimist in me, but I see him being a serviceable flex/rb2 ROS. 

1 minute ago, sasnumberonefan said:

I don't see it that way. Bookers snap count % has been trending upward every week, peaking at over 50% last week. Booker is the most complete back on the team, leading the team in rushing last week as well as serving as the pass catching back. CJ is gone after this year, with a new OC and Lynch now starting I could see them trying to see what they have for future references. It might be the optimist in me, but I see him being a serviceable flex/rb2 ROS. 

I’m betting on the same thing except it’s not the optimist in me...it’s the desperation lol

16 minutes ago, sasnumberonefan said:

Too soon to say about ROS IMO. But, this upcoming game against the Raiders could go a long ways towards making that prediction happen. And, not just in what he does, but how much and in what way he is used (more screens and wheel routes out of the backfield perhaps?). I can see a 16/62/1 rushing + 3/25/0 receiving line for him this week. Definitely flex worthy, especially in PPR leagues. 

38 minutes ago, sasnumberonefan said:

Lmao at “most complete back on the team”.  

Not even close

6 minutes ago, The G Man said:

Too soon to say about ROS IMO. But, this upcoming game against the Raiders could go a long ways towards making that prediction happen. And, not just in what he does, but how much and in what way he is used (more screens and wheel routes out of the backfield perhaps?). I can see a 16/62/1 rushing + 3/25/0 receiving line for him this week. Definitely flex worthy, especially in PPR leagues. 

Those are RB2 standard numbers.  RB1 in ppr.

Ive been keeping track of Bookers usage for weeks.  They kept using him in the red zone right when he returned from injury.  This quote from new OC yesterday.

https://milehighsports.com/bill-musgrave-on-his-new-job-the-new-offense-and-paxton-lynch/

What I find interesting is that the reporter didn’t specifically asked about Booker.  Yet Musgrave pointed him out on his own. Transcript below.

Reporter: Q. What is your philosophy on the running back group? Is it more bellcow approach in your eyes or running back by committee?

Musgrave A. Well I think I've seen what you've seen, is that Book has really been playing some good football, so I think Book deserves more touches and we'll see how the game goes. Fortunately that stable of running backs is a real deep stable with Jamaal and of course with CJ so we have confidence in all 3 of them.

1 hour ago, tjspark said:

I’m betting on the same thing except it’s not the optimist in me...it’s the desperation lol

Yep,although I'm sitting in 6th place(last play-off spot) I've got a few teams right on my rear,so it's time to make or break,starting Booker over Abdullah and Collins here.

CJ: 4.1 YPCarry (139 carries), 7.1 YPCatch (15 catches)
Booker: 3.8 YPCarry (40 carries) , 10.1 YPCatch (18 catches)

There is very little evidence Booker is a better running back in any respect. He's slightly better at receiving, but that can easily be attributed to the Broncos being behind in so many games and needing to play pass game a lot more.

The ONLY games that Denver has won all year, CJ Anderson had 20+ carries. PERIOD.

That's not to say that Denver coaching will not continue to fvck this up, but if Denver actually wants to win, CJ Anderson is the running back they should be using.

16 minutes ago, jonasdash said:

There is very little evidence Booker is a better running back in any respect. He's slightly better at receiving, but that can easily be attributed to the Broncos being behind in so many games and needing to play pass game a lot more.

The ONLY games that Denver has won all year, CJ Anderson had 20+ carries. PERIOD.

That's not to say that Denver coaching will not continue to fvck this up, but if Denver actually wants to win, CJ Anderson is the running back they should be using.

This is a run first team, if they give either one 20+ carries i think they can win more games

26 minutes ago, CABLE87 said:

This is a run first team, if they give either one 20+ carries i think they can win more games

that's very possible.  the problem is the coaching staff who have continually tried (and failed) try to make this a passing team

9 minutes ago, jonasdash said:

that's very possible.  the problem is the coaching staff who have continually tried (and failed) try to make this a passing team

Take it for what it's worth... but apparently Musgrave is making a new offense for Lynch:

On 11/23/2017 at 11:19 AM, jonasdash said:

Speaking specifically to that bolded bit--that can be a misleading stat. Did Denver run more therefore they got the lead and won the game OR was Denver winning due to other circumstances therefore they ran more to kill clock and preserve the lead. Correlation does not imply causation. Do not fall in to that trap. 

Don't really have a horse in the Booker/CJ race just pointing out that line of thinking is wrong.