NBC Sports Edge Forums

Colton Welker - 3B COL

Yea, not saying there is no impact...but this isn't the days of Andres Gallaraga, Larry Walker, and Ellis Burks.  A player has to be a stud like Arenado or Blackmon to set it and forget it.  Carlos Gonzalez was solid for years and he's just a dude on the road.  Most of the Rockies players are really only worth starting at home.  Maybe I phrased what I said incorrectly.  Just because he plays in Coors doesn't mean a player will be a stud.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Welker has been getting some talk in other threads.  He's super young and only been in the Pioneer (rookie) League. He seems to have good contact skills and a decent power\speed mix.  It's certainly n

Just a quick update on Welker! He's currently on a 14 game hitting streak that began on the 22nd of April, and his slash line is up to .333/.419/.522 with 4 HRs and a SB in 136 PAs. He's supporting th

This guy...    2-4 with a HR and a BB last night.. HR wasn't in Lancaster!    .519/.600/.963  how ridiculous is that 

33 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Carlos Gonzalez was solid for years and he's just a dude on the road.  Most of the Rockies players are really only worth starting at home.  Maybe I phrased what I said incorrectly.  Just because he plays in Coors doesn't mean a player will be a stud.

The first part was basically my point though about the Coors effect being real and substantial. Plus, Cargo was considered a stud for years though and the numbers I posted reflect those years as well as his recent ones. Arenado and Blackmon are both considered current studs and their career OPS still fully reflect the Coors effect.

As to your last point, of course I would agree that just because a player plays in Coors doesn't mean that player is a stud, but I'm more than willing to bank on a player that has a solid track record in the minors being a solid/very useful fantasy asset at Coors, where Rockies players play half of their games each season. I'm certainly not saying Welker will be a stud either, just that if he inherits the job from Arenado I'm completely onboard with trying to have him on my team based on the proven bump that Coors often provides.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Been looking good in his first stint at AA. His Ks have so far cut down at a a big  jump in competition this year. Good to see. I know everybody will be asking "but where is he going to play? they re-signed arenado".  If he hits this well, they'll find somewhere.

44 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Been looking good in his first stint at AA. His Ks have so far cut down at a a big  jump in competition this year. Good to see. I know everybody will be asking "but where is he going to play? they re-signed arenado".  If he hits this well, they'll find somewhere.

I know you expect this question, but where?

2 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

I know you expect this question, but where?

I think by the time he's up Murphy won't be there or will be hurt/not good. Murphy is 35 at the start of next season. I could envision him and McMahon or Rodgers being 1b/2b in some order. I like McMahon, but he's also done nothing in the majors.    I do think the likeliest of situation if he stays and hits in COL could be LF.  They currently have 1 decent long term OF option on their major league roster, Dahl, who is constantly hurt. In the end, I never worry about these things. I worry about if he will hit well enough to be a major leaguer, the rest works itself out eventually.  It's certainly possible he gets traded and play 3b for another team. That would certainly lower his stock from being in Coors. 

By the time he's ready, the NL will have a DH. So he'll be 1B/LF/DH. 

181 wRC+ in AA. He's top 10 in that league. Next youngest guy in top 10 is actually 2 years older than him. This is Hartford by the way, not the traditional thin air parks in the COL system. 

19 minutes ago, dod959 said:

By the time he's ready, the NL will have a DH. So he'll be 1B/LF/DH. 

181 wRC+ in AA. He's top 10 in that league. Next youngest guy in top 10 is actually 2 years older than him. This is Hartford by the way, not the traditional thin air parks in the COL system. 

True but for whatever reason he's still killing it at home vs the road

• 1 month later...
On 6/4/2019 at 2:24 PM, ThreadKiller said:
  1. Any chance they move this guy to 1B?

Yes, but the Rox will sign Adam Dunn that year and Welker will play once every 4 games. Ya know, don't wanna overwhelm him yet. 

Edited by Watermock
  • Haha 2