NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Jay Ajayi 2017 Outlook

CL3VELANDBR0WNS

1 hour ago, jvmillion83 said:

There was another back that played with an angry hard running style about ten years back for Dallas and his name was Marion Barber.  Barber just became the starter at the end of the 2007 season (because Julius Jones turned into a bust) and had an excellent 2nd half which propelled him into first round fantasy status in 2008.  I remember that because I used my first round pick on Barber in both of my leagues.  The guy was evolving into a stud.

The result?  Through the first two months he was solid and had about three games that were unacceptable for your first round pick.  Then November happened and he was battling through nagging injuries and his ypg dipped.  From November until the end, he had one game over 100 yards and besides a game with 30 rushing yards and a TD, he was nonexistent, including missing a key week in December at Pittsburgh. 

This is what scares me with Ajayi.  They both have similar styles and Ajayi has already dealt with being banged up this offseason including concussion scares.  While he'll still produce during the season, at what point does his running style hit a wall like Barber in 2008.

Impressive recollection.  We don't get enough relevant trips down memory lane in this forum.

It is a simple concept, but running style is a legit data point.  That said, Ajayi is still new to the pro game.  If he can survive half as well as Marshawn did, Ajayi should be ok for the immediate future.  A few years from now may be a different story.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ajayi is definitely a 1st round pick, people can argue where in the 1st to take him but he's definitely a top 12 pick.

At least we know what his role is and it's not going to change. He's going to get 20+ touches every single week and looks like he'll be used in the passing game more than we initially thought and will never come out in a goal line down unless he just ran a 90 yard run and is tired.

No way this guy can be passed up IMO, the offense is too good which means double digit TD's.

Edited by raidaz18

4 minutes ago, Red Sox Nation said:

Well, there goes any shot whatsoever of getting him mid-2nd. Good luck owners. I was ice cold on him a month ago, but after watching more clips, the dude can BALL. Even in his bad games he broke a serious amount of tackles. 

The THREE 200+ yard games last year didn't tell you he could ball?

5 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

The THREE 200+ yard games last year didn't tell you he could ball?

Including playoffs, 6 of final 7 games with 61 rush yards or less. 0 td's in 5 of his final 6 games. This isn't roto, where all the games added up count in a lump sum. 3 200 yard games and 5 or 6 stinkers doesn't equal a "stud" in my eyes. Just an inconsistent player with injury concerns and lack of pass receptions. So, while I've warmed up to him, there's clear reasons to be concerned. 

2 hours ago, raidaz18 said:

Ajayi is definitely a 1st round pick, people can argue where in the 1st to take him but he's definitely a top 12 pick.

At least we know what his role is and it's not going to change. He's going to get 20+ touches every single week and looks like he'll be used in the passing game more than we initially thought and will never come out in a goal line down unless he just ran a 90 yard run and is tired.

No way this guy can be passed up IMO, the offense is too good which means double digit TD's.

The offense is too good? The f you talking about?

Just now, cyberwatty said:

I have been saying this as well. Everyone keeps denying what their eyes are showing them. 

All I see is an inconsistent RB with a short track record that was dependent on the production of an injury prone line. Is he going to bust? Not necessarily but no one is denying anything. The amount of red flags for a second round pick is alarming.

7 minutes ago, psygolf said:

That would take a rash of injuries...he doesn't have DJ's strength of schedule to warrant that projection.

Not really. It would take a full season of him playing with a healthy OL and a real QB (Cutler) who actually has a history of throwing to his RB a lot. 

Just now, joshua18 said:

Not really. It would take a full season of him playing with a healthy OL and a real QB (Cutler) who actually has a history of throwing to his RB a lot. 

His schedule is still stacked against him to finish that high, imo.

• tonycpsu changed the title to Jay Ajayi 2017 Outlook
  • tonycpsu locked this topic
  • phatrat unlocked this topic