Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Jay Ajayi 2017 Outlook


CL3VELANDBR0WNS
 Share

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

 

 

 

Who knows what this "for a while" issue is. Probably nothing, but with a player with past ACL issue anything knee related causes some concern.

 

Hasn't even taken a regular season hit yet. Seems like a mortal lock he's not making it through 16 straight games

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, cnewbykkn said:

Drake the clear no2?

 

I would guess that. Everyone I've heard says Williams is terrible. Knowing that, its confusing why drake is listed below williams on the depth chart... so not that clear, but yes, but also....?

Edited by grimsfield
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, grimsfield said:

 

I would guess that. Everyone I've heard says Williams is terrible. Knowing that, its confusing why drake is listed below williams on the depth chart... so not that clear, but yes, but also....?

I think it might be because Williams is the third down back and would come in to replace Ajayi on some passing downs but I don't think Williams would handle 1st and 2nd downs if Ajayi went down. That would be Drake.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, pushaZ said:

Dropped my kicker for Drake.

Let's see if the news brings up something important by Sunday.

 

If you truly are an Ajayi owner you should drop someone for an actual roster spot. I'm a Dolphins fan and Ajayi owner. Someone playing a full 16 straight games at the RB position is near impossible in today's NFL. Drake is gonna be a factor at some point.

 

If the preseason is anything to go by then the handcuff is going to be Drake.

 

He had a very strong camp and beat writers said he looked "starter good" because he was so fast and fluid. His runs to the outside edge are truly special. When Ajayi had his concussion Drake was the first back up and Williams worked exclusively as the 3rd down back. Williams is a terrible runner. Had negative yardage in his carries against the Ravens and 11 against the Eagles. He is the 3rd down back, that is his strength. Drake will take over the lead back role is Ajayi were to miss a game.

 

Also, I wouldn't doubt it if we see Drake get run much more this season. That run against Buffalo where he completely flipped the field and took it to the house in week 16 was a thing of pure beauty. To save Ajayi I wouldn't be surprised to see Drake spell him for a few series here and there. Gase and the staff loves the spring and summer he had.

Edited by mdw5048
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Edgeraid said:

 

I remember this being the knock against him in the draft, with it being reported that teams were passing because his knee was basically bone-on-bone. 

 

It was but I don't recall hearing anything like this about sore knees last year, so this doesn't seem like some routine thing that he deals with all the time unless it's just not been reported previously. Something to watch for sure and the fact he had to burn his bye week 1 is not good

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, owenmills said:

 

It was but I don't recall hearing anything like this about sore knees last year, so this doesn't seem like some routine thing that he deals with all the time unless it's just not been reported previously. Something to watch for sure and the fact he had to burn his bye week 1 is not good

I don't think it's a short term issue but I don't think he'll have a long career as his knees won't hold up. fine this year probably as long as it's managed correctly

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, vthokie3 said:

I don't think it's a short term issue but I don't think he'll have a long career as his knees won't hold up. fine this year probably as long as it's managed correctly

 

Honestly, who knows? He hasn't even played a game yet and it sounds like a flare up? Plus he doesn't even have a bye week to look forward to for rest and recovery. 16 straight weeks is a loooong time for a RB imo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The real question is if you're not an Ajayi owner can you hold off with a handcuff only like Drake through the bye weeks? 

Not sure if I know the answer to that but I do know that I shudder every time I hear the phrase "bone on bone"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, mdw5048 said:

...

 

He had a very strong camp and beat writers said he looked "starter good" because he was so fast and fluid. His runs to the outside edge are truly special. When Ajayi had his concussion Drake was the first back up and Williams worked exclusively as the 3rd down back. Williams is a terrible runner. Had negative yardage in his carries against the Ravens and 11 against the Eagles. He is the 3rd down back, that is his strength. Drake will take over the lead back role is Ajayi were to miss a game.

 

...

 

If I were an Ajayi owner I'd have Drake as a handcuff for sure. 

 

I was even toying with the idea of swapping one of my RB futures (currently Marlon Mack and Alvin Kamara) for him.  But ultimately I don't think there's much behind the Ajayi knee rumors.  The information that his knee is sore made me re-assess, but I still come to the conclusion that there's nothing there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • tonycpsu changed the title to Jay Ajayi 2017 Outlook
  • tonycpsu locked this topic
  • phatrat unlocked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...