NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jay Ajayi 2017 Outlook

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at Ajayi's injury history from college til now, you will be surprised. Miami is one of the few teams I follow very closely and they have already said they planned on holding him out of practices each week just to rest and recover. You can't play fantasy football on what ifs, sure you want contingencies, but you're going to regret that trade in just a couple of weeks.

2 minutes ago, bigdevo1 said:

Look at Ajayi's injury history from college til now, you will be surprised. Miami is one of the few teams I follow very closely and they have already said they planned on holding him out of practices each week just to rest and recover. You can't play fantasy football on what ifs, sure you want contingencies, but you're going to regret that trade in just a couple of weeks.

Ok

The knee soreness is going to stress us out but in reality it is probably not a big deal, like the Dolphins are saying.  Soreness can be easily managed.  Less practice reps and pain killing shots on Sunday and he is good to go.  During the week when he is not getting Toradol, sure it will be sore and they will rest him.  But Sunday is the day they see Dr. Feelgood.  Ajayi also seems like a pretty tough guy.  He can play through whatever pain is left after treatment.

I will be worried if there is new structural damage, which we have not heard of.  If they feared that, they would do an MRI or something.  He had soreness last year and all preseason.  Didn't stop them from giving him 28 carries.

The minor worry we could have is that the knee is going to give out, which is legit I guess, but he's been running on this knee for years.  I'm firmly in the camp of he is ok until he suffers a real injury.  That didn't happen last game.

This could be totally overblown, although I can't prove that it is. But There is not near enough information to trade away a likely top7 minimum fantasy RB. 

If you drafted ajayi in the second round this year the best opt is to let him be your consistent money maker every week. If the knee flares up, well a couple limited practices from one week of practice shouldn't allow you to draw conclusions that his season is all of the sudden threatened.

3 minutes ago, dmody91 said:

You picked up him knowing the deal and you took the gamble. My team is also excellent and I'm going to ride him out. 

Give up him and tyreek for cooper/Martin? 

No thanks.

'I picked him up at the end of the 2nd round and Hill in the 5th, I'm not attached. 

If if you think Ajayi is going to stay healthy and produce and "projected levels" for the next 15 weeks than you're crazy. Ajayi should have a big flashing "sell now" sign above his head.

2 minutes ago, Mr.STD said:

'I picked him up at the end of the 2nd round and Hill in the 5th, I'm not attached. 

If if you think Ajayi is going to stay healthy and produce and "projected levels" for the next 15 weeks than you're crazy. Ajayi should have a big flashing "sell now" sign above his head.

You're basing this on what precisely?

One game into the season and he posts a good game not great and you are selling. Miami has a healthy oline right now and passing game that teams must respect, regret will hit you when he puts up big points this week. You haven't even seen Martin play yet this year and cooper only gets the love over Crabtree because of his name. Crabtree is the top WR in that offense.

Just now, CrastersCreep said:

Oh right - because he's a violent runner there's 0 chance he lasts for the season

by all means, keep all your eggs in the "Ajayi will be healthy all season" basket. Sounds like a smart plan.

1 minute ago, bigdevo1 said:

Just because he breaks tackles doesn't equate to violent runner?  He is tough to bring down but a violent runner is Derek Henry, he runs tall and looks to bowl over people, that's not ajayi at all!

the guy seeks contact and is a total bull. I love him, but he will absolutely not be able to sustain production with the way he runs and his previous injuries. 

I have Ajayi as well and yes of course the news about his knee is being sore isn't enough for me to just give me away yet. He had 28 carries last week and he fully practiced today and I'm sure if it was something serious none of those things would have happened. His next five games @ NY, NO, TEN, @ ATL and home again against the Jets. If after those 5 games he is still healthy then you can consider moving him but going against 4 out of 5 of the worst run defenses in the next 5 weeks I'm going to ride this train.

20 minutes ago, Mr.STD said:

the guy seeks contact and is a total bull. I love him, but he will absolutely not be able to sustain production with the way he runs and his previous injuries. 

Ok? Good luck, just about everyone is trying to tell you why the trade is bad, but you want to make a decision on something that might happen, you are the guys that I love to trade. It's football, everyone might get injured!

46 minutes ago, Mr.STD said:

And his injury history was what? 

Did he have a bye or did he play 16 straight games?

He can miss a week and have his own "Bye" and I'll still take him over Martin and Cooper by himself. 

I am sporting a Jay Ajayi centerpiece in something like 17 out of 27 managed leagues and a similar proportion of my 33 Draft Masters leagues--so he's either going to go down for the year in one of the next couple of weeks, or he's going to be a top 5 RB on the season.

1 hour ago, devaster said:

I don't understand why someone would trade away Ajayi for Martin at this point. That is a bad trade. Why didn't you just draft Martin and Cooper if you wanted them more? They were available in later rounds if you wanted to grab them. Why draft Ajayi if you didn't think he would last the entire season and why draft him at such a premium ADP?

Cause those 2 weeks of production were worth it bro

Edit: one week

Edited by rigadoog
Irma

The funny thing is that if he makes that trade and ajayi got hurt this week it still wouldn't be a good trade because he can do better than cooper and Martin. I was just offered mike Evans and Crowell for ajayi this week and turned it down. Workhouse backs are rare in today's NFL and if you have one and he produces at a high level you ride with him all the way unless someone offers you something incredible. Cooper and Martin for ajayi by himself isn't even incredible, and then to throw tyreek in there to? That's an overall downgrade on both positions!

12 minutes ago, bigdevo1 said:

The funny thing is that if he makes that trade and ajayi got hurt this week it still wouldn't be a good trade because he can do better than cooper and Martin. I was just offered mike Evans and Crowell for ajayi this week and turned it down. Workhouse backs are rare in today's NFL and if you have one and he produces at a high level you ride with him all the way unless someone offers you something incredible. Cooper and Martin for ajayi by himself isn't even incredible, and then to throw tyreek in there to? That's an overall downgrade on both positions!

Unless you have stud WRs or weak at RB you're crazy for turning that down.

Edited by rigadoog
  • tonycpsu changed the title to Jay Ajayi 2017 Outlook
  • tonycpsu locked this topic
  • tonycpsu unlocked this topic