NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jay Ajayi 2017 Outlook

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, cowboy5xsbs said:

I expect Blount to be the goalline back and Smallwood to take the third down passing back role.  That leaves ajayi with everything between the 20's I would assume.  

still will get better stat than he was in miami, maybe bump from 40 to 60 yards.

4 minutes ago, cowboy5xsbs said:

I expect Blount to be the goalline back and Smallwood to take the third down passing back role.  That leaves ajayi with everything between the 20's I would assume.  

Ajayi will be the 3rd down back, PFF has him much better at pass protection than Smallwood and we all know he is better in space.

Edited by No1Statistican
2 minutes ago, No1Statistican said:

Ajayi will be the 3rd down back, PFF has him much better at pass protection than Smallwood and we all know he is better in space.

Ajayi will be much more than the third-down back. I think you'll see him used in just about every situation except maybe short-yardage and goalline.

I own him and have no idea what to think. Boy, this is nuts. They don't run the ball that often and Wentz is doing well at the QB position. 

Yes, giving a 4th rounder for a guy to just be used in pass protection seems crazy. I notice the Eagles fans on here say they are unhappy with Blount but I have heard reports about that since preseason. You would have to think they cut one of the 4 RB's as there is no way they can keep 4 on the roster. I have to believe it will be Smallwood or Clement. 

I was planning on starting Ajayi at the FLEX this week before this news. Now, I can't see him being productive after getting a couple practices in before the game. Just traded for a WR on a bye this week too so I can't use him at the FLEX either. I will have to weigh my options but one would think he is not a good start this week at ALL. 

Edited by PackerBacker555
Just as I hit the post button, Army-of-1 puts a great post out there! Thanks!
6 minutes ago, PackerBacker555 said:

I own him and have no idea what to think. Boy, this is nuts. They don't run the ball that often and Wentz is doing well at the QB position. 

Yes, giving a 4th rounder for a guy to just be used in pass protection seems crazy. I notice the Eagles fans on here say they are unhappy with Blount but I have heard reports about that since preseason. You would have to think they cut one of the 4 RB's as there is no way they can keep 4 on the roster. I have to believe it will be Smallwood or Clement. 

The Eagles have the 4th most rushing attempts in the league.  And that's with Blount being terrible.

6 minutes ago, PackerBacker555 said:

I was planning on starting Ajayi at the FLEX this week before this news. Now, I can't see him being productive after getting a couple practices in before the game. Just traded for a WR on a bye this week too so I can't use him at the FLEX either. I will have to weigh my options but one would think he is not a good start this week at ALL. 

He's in a BETTER situation.  Goes from a terrible offense to an awesome offense.  If you were gonna use him at flex this week already, you can surely fire him up now with confidence.  He may not be in on passing downs since the pass pro will take some time, but he'll get the rock at least 10-15 times and won't face a stacked box every time.  Starting with confidence.

2 minutes ago, PackerBacker555 said:

Clement sounds like the guy they cut if they are making a super bowl run.  Blount and smallwood have legit value. I'm not sold on ajayi being the every down rb.  Last season it was ryan matthews as the primary as he battled injuries with a heavy dose of sproles  and a rotation of the rest depending on the gamescript. 

I expect gamescript rotations to continue but Ajayi through brilliant playmaking could take over same as he did last season in Miami.

Wentz is a look downfield throw first QB not a game manager and is going to throw so  it could be one rb or a rotation that complements his game. Speculating on scenarios like this is what makes fantasy football fun

Either way great move by the Eagles

Broncos is a bad RB matchup anyway, and then the Eagles have their bye, which will help Ajayi to learn the full offense. For the stretch run I fully expect high RB2 numbers as well as increased PPR value. Eagles are Superbowl contenders this year and rightfully realized that you don't win the Superbowl with Smallwood/Clement to support Blount. Blount's usage won't decrease by much, but anything else is taken by Ajayi. Great spot for him!

49 minutes ago, Flyers_28 said:

im an eagles fan the team hasnt not been impressed with blount at all 

just wait and see 

you call yourself an eagles fan but have a picture of Zeke as your avatar? cmon now, get rid of this

I'll take less touches in an offense that is actually good. As much as I enjoyed the 20 plus carries for 3 yard averages, no catches and no TD's. I'll glady trade that for less touches behind a good line, and a QB that actually knows how to, ya know QB

13 minutes ago, frog34 said:

Broncos is a bad RB matchup anyway, and then the Eagles have their bye, which will help Ajayi to learn the full offense. For the stretch run I fully expect high RB2 numbers as well as increased PPR value. Eagles are Superbowl contenders this year and rightfully realized that you don't win the Superbowl with Smallwood/Clement to support Blount. Blount's usage won't decrease by much, but anything else is taken by Ajayi. Great spot for him!

Could not disagree more with this take. What are you looking at that leads you to believe this?

Literally, no one that is close to the organization is saying this and if anything they're saying the complete opposite. Some even going as far as saying Blount's ineffectiveness is the reason the organization traded for Ajayi. Blount's role is about to nosedive, no doubt about it.

Ajayi will do everything for the Eagles backfield. Smallwood is a nonfactor. Blount will see short yardage and GL work, but I also expect them to use Ajayi as well. Blount will be a game closer and breather for Ajayi.

It's hard to say exactly how this shakes out really. The eagles were spreading it out a lot before this. Is it because they didn't trust anyone as a bellcow, or because they wanted to keep everyone fresh and got RBBC ala the Patriots is hard to tell. From a real football POV I think it's a strong addition, but from fantasy I think it could see the argument either way. 

After thinking this over for a couple hours, here's where I stand...if Ajayi is actually a top 8 RB talent, he will be used by the Eagles accordingly and this is an excellent trade for FF owners. I would probably equate him to Ingram in that scenario. He will share touches, but will get a lot of FF efficiency out of those touches. He would have the upside of a top 3-5 back if he churns out a couple of those 200 yard games he showed last year.

If Ajayi is actually not very talented or is hampered by his injury, he's probably going to get 50% of the touches at the most. In this scenario, it's possible that remaining in Miami would have given him more FF value ROS since he probably would've still been getting 20-25 touches a game and would eventually get some TDs. Even in this scenario though, he still has low-end RB2 value in Philly which isn't far off from where people have been valuing him over the past couple weeks.

A 4th round pick isn't a scrap pick to an NFL team. It holds a solid amount of value. The Eagles are absolutely intending for him to be a key part of the offense. Ajayi's actual talent and health will determine what value he proves to hold for this FF season in Philly, as opposed to Miami where even Bell would be essentially useless.                                                                                                                                                                                                                

Edited by gufomel

I could see him having a role this Sunday against Denver. It won't be a bellcow role though. He won't be in there on 3rd downs or for pass blocking because he won't know the blitz assignments yet. After the bye he should be a full go to run the entire backfield with Blount having a limited role.

13 minutes ago, heyeaglefn said:

Biggest problem from a fantasy perspective is you can't start him the next two weeks so that hurts.

Not true. Denver's definitely a tough matchup, but look what Darkwa did against them. Sure, first week with a new team is a tough start, but look what Peterson did. I'm not saying he's going to have a great week, just that auto benching him is not appropriate.

It depends on who you have at RB, but in general you start your studs, and as far as we know Ajayi is still a stud. If you have a low-end RB2 available, maybe you roll them out instead if you just don't want to risk it. But with bye weeks and Elliott's suspension, my other options are D Henry, Mack, or Morris/McFadden if I grab them off waivers. I will be starting Ajayi over any of those.

Edited by gufomel
  • tonycpsu changed the title to Jay Ajayi 2017 Outlook
  • tonycpsu locked this topic
  • tonycpsu unlocked this topic