NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jay Ajayi 2017 Outlook

2 hours ago, mrbonifacio said:

Anyone starting Ajayi as a FLEX option against the Rams? They give up the second most fantasy points to RBs.

His usage and snap count in a tough place like Seattle are encouraging. If he could just establish a floor of 10 touches, that's absolutely flexable in most leagues in that high powered offense. Still can't imagine the Eagles trading a valuable 4th rounder for him and then not even giving him 10+ touches down the stretch.

Judging from my eye test he clearly has cut into both Blount's early down and Clement's passing down work. Also he's a big play waiting to happen in an offense that you can't stack the box against.

Starting him with confidence from here on out!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, frog34 said:

His usage and snap count in a tough place like Seattle are encouraging. If he could just establish a floor of 10 touches, that's absolutely flexable in most leagues in that high powered offense. Still can't imagine the Eagles trading a valuable 4th rounder for him and then not even giving him 10+ touches down the stretch.

Judging from my eye test he clearly has cut into both Blount's early down and Clement's passing down work. Also he's a big play waiting to happen in an offense that you can't stack the box against.

Starting him with confidence from here on out!

I’m going to be torn at the flex with him. He seemed to be on the field more vs Seattle but it also looked like wentz was unhappy with him about 3 times that game. It may have been wentz just frustrated with the offense but I saw them talking a few times. Or, spin it the other way and the staff wants him on the field a lot more and he was in on plays that were designed for blount. 

My opinion watching, clement is clearly the speedster in the backfield but he gets the outside plays. 

Clement is clearly their prefered pass protector. He had almost the same amount of snaps as Ajayi, but far less touches. Saw him staying in there to block quite often, even when he went out for a pass he chipped a pass rusher. Ajayi did some of that too though. For me this RBBC looks like:

Blount is splitting work on early run downs with Ajayi. It's not like Blount is their short yardage or goalline back either. He has just 1 TD on the year and the Eagles have used all of their backs in short yardage. Ajayi was in there on at least two short yardage situations early in the game @ Seattle.

Clement is splitting work on passing downs with Ajayi. In long down and distance situations where the RB stays in to protect, it's only Clement. In medium-to-short situations, they like Ajayi in the passing game or as a runner.

So Ajayi at least gets work both as a runner and receiver. If he can expand one of these roles, or his role in general, we might have something here in that great offense. His usage @ Seattle was very encouraging. You don't throw him out there in that environment on important downs if he's not familiar with the system. Just another little bump for Ajayi in snaps and usage down the stretch, and I'm happy.

Edited by frog34

Clement whiffed on a special teams punt today that led to a blocked punt returned for a TD for the Rams. Also had some other whiffs. He is best used as a change of pace. Blount has been bad lately, but part of that could be due to the Eagles telegraphing what they are doing with Blount in the backfield. Ajayi has been averaging close to 8 YPC with the Eagles. They need to get him more touches, especially with Wentz likely missing multiple games or the rest of the season.

Expect a heavy dose of Ajayi from here on out.

I think Ajayi could finally become what we all drafted him for in the 1st or 2nd round. Maybe not a huge 20+ touches workload like in Miami, but 15+ touches make him a must-start for me. He looked really flashy yesterday, while Blount is very limited in his movement. Eagles defense and special teams are still really good, and they have 2 soft defenses coming up. It's not like Foles is total garbage. Actually I think he could start on some teams. Running will be their new winning formula with Wentz done. I'd put Ajayi firmly in the RB2 tier with RB1 upside because of his big play ability!

Without Wentz you have to think they will be a run first team so this should bode well for Ajayi. Foles is decent enough where offense should move the ball and not be a dumpster fire. Obvious downgrades for Ertz, Jeffery, Agholor. 

Edited by ponchsox

hoping Ajayi usage in the 2nd half carries over to this week.  I don't what the snap counts are from last week but he seemed to me to be on the field a lot more in the 2nd half than at any other time during his days as an Eagle

45 minutes ago, jb_power said:

hoping Ajayi usage in the 2nd half carries over to this week.  I don't what the snap counts are from last week but he seemed to me to be on the field a lot more in the 2nd half than at any other time during his days as an Eagle

Ajayi 47%

Blount 16%

Clement 30%

Barner 7%

I'm leaning towards starting Ajayi this week against the Giants. I'm hoping for 15 carries, 2-3 catches. 

Ajayi has looked good, I think they lean more on the running game without Wentz and Ajayi should be more comfortable by now in the offense. He's the best option they have IMO.

I could see 15-85-1 if not more.

Like others have stated, I have to figure this Wentz injury should help his usage. The Giants are just playing out the string. I am hoping for the big pop game from JA and the signs are there. I am deciding between Davis, Morris and him for my RB2 spot this week (with Mixon likely out).

44 minutes ago, DemonFF said:

Anyone worried eagles will be up big in the second half and Blount will be getting most of the run the clock carries?

exactly why I'm hesitating as well, it seems Ajayi got his usage bumped up in the 2 last games since they were close ones and needed some juice at RB. If Eagles get a comfortable lead, hard to see why they'd take Ajayi to the ground for nothing, considering they have locked in a playoff spot...

45 minutes ago, calibar said:

exactly why I'm hesitating as well, it seems Ajayi got his usage bumped up in the 2 last games since they were close ones and needed some juice at RB. If Eagles get a comfortable lead, hard to see why they'd take Ajayi to the ground for nothing, considering they have locked in a playoff spot...

You have to think Ajayi would be used to get that big lead. 

This is interesting. I'd been wondering if Ajayi's touches (along with other RBs Blount/Clement) were more or less random per Peterson or if there was some kind of "plan" in place to slowly ratchet up Ajayi's touches and make him THE #1. Couldn't decide if last week was just completely random or if it was part of the plan.

This information would point to an actual plan.

If that's the case, I'm starting Ajayi over Hyde. Plan to ratchet up touches + matchup + No Wentz = high upside for Ajayi when you need it.

Coach Doug Pederson said RB Jay Ajayi's "touches are going up each week."

Pederson went on to say Ajayi is "Fitting in really well." Ajayi played on 43 snaps and had an Eagles high 16 touches in Week 14 against the Rams. With the Eagles likely taking a run-heavier approach due to Carson Wentz' absence and the coaches steadily increasing Ajayi's role, he is high upside RB2 in Week 15 against the Giants.

Source: Philly.com
D
1 hour ago, kyoun1e said:

This is interesting. I'd been wondering if Ajayi's touches (along with other RBs Blount/Clement) were more or less random per Peterson or if there was some kind of "plan" in place to slowly ratchet up Ajayi's touches and make him THE #1. Couldn't decide if last week was just completely random or if it was part of the plan.

This information would point to an actual plan.

If that's the case, I'm starting Ajayi over Hyde. Plan to ratchet up touches + matchup + No Wentz = high upside for Ajayi when you need it.

Coach Doug Pederson said RB Jay Ajayi's "touches are going up each week."

Pederson went on to say Ajayi is "Fitting in really well." Ajayi played on 43 snaps and had an Eagles high 16 touches in Week 14 against the Rams. With the Eagles likely taking a run-heavier approach due to Carson Wentz' absence and the coaches steadily increasing Ajayi's role, he is high upside RB2 in Week 15 against the Giants.

Source: Philly.com
D

Couldn't come at a better time for me with Fournette's status in question tomorrow. I'll be leaning on Jay as a RB2 this week. 

15 minutes ago, TTRA1N said:

Safe play?

Safe? Yes. But playing him for that final blowup game that we've waited for all season, who knows........but you couldn't ask for a better matchup for it to happen. The Raiders D have fallen off a mountain lately. They've completely quit. And Ajayi keeps showing that he's a 3 down back and far more dynamic than any other RB on the roster. 

Edited by MrPositive
1 hour ago, MrPositive said:

Safe? Yes. But playing him for that final blowup game that we've waited for all season, who knows........but you couldn't ask for a better matchup for it to happen. The Raiders D have fallen off a mountain lately. They've completely quit. And Ajayi keeps showing that he's a 3 down back and far more dynamic than any other RB on the roster. 

I completely agree he is by far the best back, and a true 3 down back. But that won't change the HC's philosophy. This is a true RBBC. Ajayi is barely in there when they get down to the red zone, so even relying on TD's alone is hard to trust. What a waste...

2 minutes ago, datsyuk said:

I completely agree he is by far the best back, and a true 3 down back. But that won't change the HC's philosophy. This is a true RBBC. Ajayi is barely in there when they get down to the red zone, so even relying on TD's alone is hard to trust. What a waste...

Yea sucks. Was going to start Bibbs if Perine was out. Now I'm stuck.

• tonycpsu changed the title to Jay Ajayi 2017 Outlook
  • tonycpsu locked this topic