NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jay Ajayi 2017 Outlook

1 minute ago, TTRA1N said:

Yea sucks. Was going to start Bibbs if Perine was out. Now I'm stuck.

Yea, Ajayi is still a solid rb2/flex play though. I am still stuck between him and DeDe Westbrook in my flex. Currently have Bortles/Westbrook in for the stack. Will probably change at least 15 times from here until 3 pm though lol

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He delivered pretty damn good as I predicted. :) It wasn't the monster game, because the HC still ridiculously is playing all 3 rb's for their own series, but it should have been enough for everybody to be happy. Now playing him week 17 might be a huge mistake. I can't see the Eagles playing him 4 quarters in a meaningless game. I will be sitting him unless the coach himself says the starters are playing the full game, which would be idiotic in my opinion.

Edited by MrPositive
6 hours ago, MrPositive said:

He delivered pretty damn good as I predicted. :) It wasn't the monster game, because the HC still ridiculously is playing all 3 rb's for their own series, but it should have been enough for everybody to be happy. Now playing him week 17 might be a huge mistake. I can't see the Eagles playing him 4 quarters in a meaningless game. I will be sitting him unless the coach himself says the starters are playing the full game, which would be idiotic in my opinion.

I didn't watch the game, but what the hell happened...he didn't get a single pt after the 2nd quarter when I checked in on his progress.

Edited by psygolf
8 minutes ago, psygolf said:

I didn't watch the game, but what the hell happened...he didn't get a single pt after the 2nd quarter when I checked in on his progress.

A lot of 3 and outs plus he had a fumble. 

Look at the drive logs after halftime

3 plays 2 yards

3 plays -9 yards

2 plays 14 yards ajayi fumble

5 plays 13 yards field goal

3 plays -18 yards

1 play INT

3 plays 6 yards

3 plays -2 yards

6 plays 21 yards fg

they should have lost the game. The raiders kicked themselves after halftime. 

2 interceptions, 2 fumbles, and a missed kick

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, devaster said:

Wonder how the Dolphins feel about this trade now.

It was dumb to begin with. 

Gase in MIA before the trade:

13-5 with Ajayi as the featured RB, 1-4 without him. 

After the trade: 2-7 finish. 

Sonetimes coaches need need to put their egos aside for the good of the team. 

48 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

You should've bumped the Jay Ajayi 2016 Outlook...since you're using those stats.

:lol:

3 minutes ago, psygolf said:

You should've bumped the Jay Ajayi 2016 Outlook...since you're using those stats.

:lol:

The stats include their 4-3 start in 2017...before imploding to a 2-7 finish after stupidly trading away their offensive centerpiece. If you had actually spent more time reading my post instead of trying to attack it, you would have realized that. ?

1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

You would have a better case if Drake, and to a lesser degree Williams,  didn’t play so well after he left.   Passing and receiving they put up numbers and carried that offense at times.  I’d venture to say their running game IMPROVED after Ajayi left.     Cutler and the passing game combined with the defensive struggles are the more likely culprit than trading Ayayi.   

Edited by Impreza178
10 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

You would have a better case if Drake, and to a lesser degree Williams,  didn’t play so well after he left.   Passing and receiving they put up numbers and carried that offense at times.  I’d venture to say their running game IMPROVED after Ajayi left.     Cutler and the passing game combined with the defensive struggles are the more likely culprit than trading Ayayi.   

Literally the week before Ajayi was traded in his presser Gase went off about the leaders on the team not doing their jobs and being on board.  Then he made the comment that the running backs needed to run the plays as they were called...

... less than a week later Ajayi was gone.

The trade had more to do with the attitude of the player than his talent.  Remember Ajayi got left in Miami for the opener in 2016 because he acted like a brat when they signed Foster.

4 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Literally the week before Ajayi was traded in his presser Gase went off about the leaders on the team not doing their jobs and being on board.  Then he made the comment that the running backs needed to run the plays as they were called...

... less than a week later Ajayi was gone.

The trade had more to do with the attitude of the player than his talent.  Remember Ajayi got left in Miami for the opener in 2016 because he acted like a brat when they signed Foster.

Looks like Ajayi just needed a real HC and real team that plays together.

1 minute ago, devaster said:

Looks like Ajayi just needed a real HC and real team that plays together.

Whether you agree or disagree with a manager booting a talented employee because they aren't on board with the program is a personal decision.  I've seen talented employees in many companies get the boot for non-performance based reasons.  Specifically in football I've seen guys more talented than Ajayi get moved because they didn't fit the culture the coach wanted (TO, Chandler Jones).  

1 minute ago, 96mnc said:

Whether you agree or disagree with a manager booting a talented employee because they aren't on board with the program is a personal decision.  I've seen talented employees in many companies get the boot for non-performance based reasons.  Specifically in football I've seen guys more talented than Ajayi get moved because they didn't fit the culture the coach wanted (TO, Chandler Jones).  

Patriots moving on from some of those talented defensive players has really come back to bite them. Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins.

2 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Exactly.  It’s irrelevant if you can’t fit in their system and culture.    

The results are what they are.   Trading Ajayi was good for the phins.    It’s debatable whether he was a good add for the Eagles- because they seem to run roughshod over everyone with every back they hand the ball to. 

Ajayi is a great addition for the Eagles because he provides a cheap, talented, runner on for a couple seasons. He does what Blount does and more. And he is still on his rookie contract.

1 minute ago, devaster said:

Ajayi is a great addition for the Eagles because he provides a cheap, talented, runner on for a couple seasons. He does what Blount does and more. And he is still on his rookie contract.

Thats fair, and certainly why they made the trade.     So far- I’m not convinced he had any impact over what they would have gotten out of of Blount/Clement.     

3 minutes ago, devaster said:

I can agree with this from a contractual perspective, but from a talent perspective, its not as if he made a huge impact. Actually, for 2018, in terms of value and upside, I much rather have Clement later in the 2018 re-drafts.

6 minutes ago, devaster said:

Patriots moving on from some of those talented defensive players has really come back to bite them. Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins.

They definitely lack high end front seven talent now.   When Hightower went down it was a huge blow to them as well. 

We know Chandler got moved because the week before the Super Bowl he stumbled into a police station high on synthetic MJ.

Collins got moved because he wasn't happy about his contract situation and it was affecting his work ethic and play.  A quick Google search will confirm the assertions above.

But again,  that's a personal opinion on how you build an organization.

They won the title last year and were back in the SB this year without Chandler and Collins.  

6 minutes ago, devaster said:

Ajayi is a great addition for the Eagles because he provides a cheap, talented, runner on for a couple seasons.

entering 18' will be his final year if i remember correctly.  This season ahead for Ajayi will be interesting to see play out.  Contract year player who more then likely gets the starting nod while Blount searching for yet another team.  Clement maybe to be a compliment. Ajayi should be running behind another top OL as well with a bit of injury luck.  He's a player the Eagles will need to see take another step(maybe a big one)  forward in 18' IMO to warrant a decent pay day the following season. It would not shock me to see the Eagles take another RB midway through this draft as well.  Hitting on another young cheap RB could be important for a team that may need to spend elsewhere

1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

The stats include their 4-3 start in 2017...before imploding to a 2-7 finish after stupidly trading away their offensive centerpiece. If you had actually spent more time reading my post instead of trying to attack it, you would have realized that. ?

Keep ignoring that the offense starting scoring significantly more ppg the minute he left...he was a junk "centerpiece" for the dolphins in '17.

9 minutes ago, devaster said:

It's just a better overall fit in Philly.  They were making a championship run and had a culture in place where Ajayi was a luxury that could hopefully put them over the top.   In Miami he was asked was being asked to be a leader on a rebuilding team and wasn't wired in a way to do it.

I thought it was a win win for both organizations.  Miami got return on their 5th round investment while being able to move on to a talented player that better fits their culture in Drake, Philly got a piece to help put them over the top. 

9 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

I can agree with this from a contractual perspective, but from a talent perspective, its not as if he made a huge impact. Actually, for 2018, in terms of value and upside, I much rather have Clement later in the 2018 re-drafts.

Clement is going to be the Sproles role, and a bit more, next season. Just won't be a threat to have punt/kick return TD's like Sproles sometimes had.

• tonycpsu changed the title to Jay Ajayi 2017 Outlook
  • tonycpsu locked this topic