NBC Sports Edge Forums

Vince Velasquez 2017 Outlook

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That 4th inning was his downfall when the Cubs fouled off 14 pitches. But he didn't give up any runs that inning.

Baez just connected on one the following inning after missing the first pitch by about a foot. Such a strong violent swing.

Just watching the game on mlb scores, at one point, he had thrown 60 pitches - 46 of them strikes.   He seemed to have better control.  Just a matter of putting the hitters away. 

12 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Kershaw, Sale, and Scherzer? 

Honestly, I was going to write zero but I didn't want to risk setting off 4 pages of off-topic drama about the imperviousness of Clayton Kershaw.

10 hours ago, DWright5 said:

Who's taking the plunge today vs the Nats?

Things were looking so good.  Nothing you can do about Roiders and bad D.  On to the next start. 

What you won't see following the game via box score is the line drive hit RIGHT AT Saunders by Zimmerman in the 6th.  Got lost in the lights and led to the 3rd Earned Run.

No way to dispute the Rendon bomb that ensued, except maybe questioning whether to put him on first with a base open?

Velasquez really is better than his stats reflect so far this season.  It's difficult to continue to roster him in a 10-team league for example...but I'm holding for now

This one was an easy bench, but I have to say I'm very encouraged by what he showed in the first five innings. Keeping his pitch count reasonable, getting outs and Ks against a tough lineup with 2 ER going into the 6th. Seemed to be attacking the zone well in the innings I caught - haven't seen the batted ball figures yet but the results in that (admittedly convenient) time frame looked very good. Obviously it fell apart (that's why he got benched) but I think we're seeing him start to put it together. Hold. (If you have the bench space #thestruggle)

Edited by matdotmarshall
10 minutes ago, East Tennessee Clutch said:

What you won't see following the game via box score is the line drive hit RIGHT AT Saunders by Zimmerman in the 6th.  Got lost in the lights and led to the 3rd Earned Run.

No way to dispute the Rendon bomb that ensued, except maybe questioning whether to put him on first with a base open?

Velasquez really is better than his stats reflect so far this season.  It's difficult to continue to roster him in a 10-team league for example...but I'm holding for now

And the counterpoint is Zimmerman had one taken away by a great catch which should have been an earned run.

I'm sure many benched VV tonight against a red-hot Nationals team.  The problem is that he faces these same Nationals next time through the rotation.   Rough stretch with his prior start @Cubs, this one against at home vs. the Nats and then @Nats again next week.  After that he gets @PIT and home vs Rockies.  I'm sure most of his owners will have had him benched vs. Cubs and both Nationals games.  It's hard to hold a guy for almost a month with only one startable game (@PIT), however his K/9 is so tantalizing that it makes him hard to drop, as everyone remembers his 16 K, 0 BB game last year.  Yes it was last year, but it just shows a glimpse of his upside against lesser teams if you can weather the storm on the tough matchups.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, matdotmarshall said:

Unspecified injury and his velocity was way down today. More coming later. I'd held out hope that he'd get it together - he still might, I guess - but this is the end of the line for me.

My DL is full till Friday, I might be able to hold on a couple days as long as they DL him.  If they dont  I will have to cut bait as well.