NBC Sports Edge Forums

J.D. Martinez 2017 Outlook

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2017/05/07/jd-martinez-detroit-tigers-rehab-stint/101412330/  

Martinez hit a home run in his second minor league injury rehabilitation game for Class A Lakeland on Saturday. Most importantly, he played seven innings in rightfield. Today, he was headed to Gwinnett, Ga., where he will join Triple-A Toledo for four games before perhaps returning to the Tigers.

8 minutes ago, STLSU said:

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2017/05/07/jd-martinez-detroit-tigers-rehab-stint/101412330/  

Martinez hit a home run in his second minor league injury rehabilitation game for Class A Lakeland on Saturday. Most importantly, he played seven innings in rightfield. Today, he was headed to Gwinnett, Ga., where he will join Triple-A Toledo for four games before perhaps returning to the Tigers.

So sounds like this weekend if there are no setbacks.

Tigers manager Brad Ausmus said late Wednesday that J.D. Martinez (foot) is "50/50" to join the active roster this weekend.

Martinez is starting at DH in his sixth rehab game Thursday with Triple-A Toledo. He has already played the outfield without issue, but the 29-year-old slugger is 0-for-11 with six strikeouts since moving his minor league rehab assignment from High-A Lakeland to the Triple-A level and the Tigers will want Martinez to feel fully locked in offensively before they activate him. Martinez has been out all season with a Lisfranc sprain in his right foot.

...And of course he's already got a HR in today's game...
7 minutes ago, DonaldsDucks said:

Anyone who drafted him low or bought him low are likely ecstatic at this point.

Yup.  There's still some risk with it acting up again, but if he can avoid the DL, he was the steal of my draft at 11/123.

I've been trying to sell him because I'm terrified that he'll aggravate that foot for a DL stint, or perhaps worse, just be a shell of himself  like many players dealing with foot ailments in the past. This start is certainly making me change my tune. 

8 minutes ago, to_be_quite_frank said:

I've been trying to sell him because I'm terrified that he'll aggravate that foot for a DL stint, or perhaps worse, just be a shell of himself  like many players dealing with foot ailments in the past. This start is certainly making me change my tune. 

Past foot problems didn't make a shell of Corey Dickerson who also clubbed 2 homers tonight and has been on a tear since the last couple of months of last season.  You can't put them all in the same bin just because they had foot injuries any more than any other injury.  Not all foot injuries are the same.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
22 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Past foot problems didn't make a shell of Corey Dickerson who also clubbed 2 homers tonight and has been on a tear since the last couple of months of last season.  You can't put them all in the same bin just because they had foot injuries any more than any other injury.  Not all foot injuries are the same.

First of all, Dickerson had Plantar Fascitis compared to a Lisfranc strain for JD. But if you want to compare the two....

Did you own Corey Dickerson when he was in Colorado and hurting? I did. It sapped his power, his speed and practically his whole existence as a Rockie. That was 3 seasons ago. So not sure what two home runs in 2017 have to do with his foot.

JD was also quoted as saying he expects to be in pain throughout the year. http://www.foxsports.com/detroit/story/j-d-martinez-homers-twice-as-tigers-edge-angels-4-3-051417

• tonycpsu changed the title to J.D. Martinez 2017 Outlook