NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mike Evans 2017 Season Outlook

MIKE EVANS.
Michael Lynn Evans the third, DOMINATED 2016 and surpassed most peoples expectations. He was being drafted as late as early third round this last year. He was so dominant, that through 12 weeks he was graded as the TOP RECEIVER in the NFL:

" Evans finished the regular season with a 93.3 overall grade, which was the highest for a wide receiver until Julio Jones’ playoff performance helped him vault Evans for the top spot. Even though Evans did not lead the league in catches, yards or touchdowns, he did rank among the top five in most traditional receiving statistics. Evans ranked sixth in PFF’s yards-per-route-run signature stat with 2.28. Evans also made fewer mistakes than he did in 2015. He cut his drops down from 15 to 7, and lowered his drop rate a full 10 percent to 6.8 "

mike-evans_wr.png

In PPR, Evans ended up finishing 3rd in scoring only behind Antonio Brown and Jordy Nelson with a line of:

96/1321/12td for 300pts

....Early third round? Evans The Great, was the holy grail of draft picks last year. He was a beast in Fantasy and in Real life. Look at him! To me he's a Top 3 Receiver next year. But what do you think? Where are you going to draft him? How do you think he's going to do in 2017?

Mike-Evans-Wow.gif

Edited by ponza88
  • Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Through 12 weeks"

But then imploded when it mattered most wks 13-16. Many top seeds lost early in the FFL playoffs because of Evans' collapse in production when opponents started bracketing him.  Many drafted him because of his "easy" playoff schedule (which included NO x 2), when the end production was the opposite of these expectations. Just goes to show how dominant Jordy Nelson was down the stretch to overtake him on the season. 

Evans is still a stud, but without a legit #2 WR that defenses have to fear, he's going to be hard pressed to avoid a similar FFL playoff collapse in 2017. 

I expect TB to get a legit #2 WR which will decrease Evans' targets but keep him as a top-4 WR. 

36 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

"Through 12 weeks"

But then imploded when it mattered most wks 13-16. Many top seeds lost early in the FFL playoffs because of Evans' collapse in production when opponents started bracketing him.  Many drafted him because of his "easy" playoff schedule (which included NO x 2), when the end production was the opposite of these expectations. Just goes to show how dominant Jordy Nelson was down the stretch to overtake him on the season. 

Evans is still a stud, but without a legit #2 WR that defenses have to fear, he's going to be hard pressed to avoid a similar FFL playoff collapse in 2017. 

I expect TB to get a legit #2 WR which will decrease Evans' targets but keep him as a top-4 WR. 

So after all of that, you stepped out and "down-graded" him to a top 4 floor.

1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

Evans' collapse in production when opponents started bracketing him

TB has Evans, Brate, Humphries.  Damn, that is awful after Evans.

Look for them to add a legitimate WR2 this offseason and the double teams will fall off dramatically.

2 hours ago, psygolf said:

So after all of that, you stepped out and "down-graded" him to a top 4 floor.

With the caveat that they get a legit #2 WR. Otherwise Evans will produce more like the #28 WR he was from weeks 13-16. 

In case you missed it, the point was: pay attention to who TB acquires to run opposite Evans in 2017. 

With the caveat that they get a legit #2 WR. Otherwise Evans will produce more like the #28 WR he was from weeks 13-16. 

In case you missed it, the point was: pay attention to who TB acquires to run opposite Evans in 2017. 

Yep, they will acquire someone.  They have to. 

Why stop at week 16? ...because it fits for you.  

I am not fickle enough to believe it took 12 weeks for DCs to finally figure out that Evans needed extra coverage, then they forgot again week 16-17 when he scored 22.7 & 17.5 pts respectively ppr.

4 hours ago, joshua18 said:

"Through 12 weeks"

Actually he went off in week 16 and won me my Super Bowl as well as probably many others.

Looking at game logs is a fool's charade.
He's locked and loaded as a top 5 WR and Winston hasn't come close to his ceiling yet.
The Winston-Evans improvisation was comparable to that of Rodgers and Jordy. 

Edited by CL3VELANDBR0WNS

Been one of my favorite players for a while. He'll dominate whether they get a true #2 or not because of volume. But would love to see DeSean Jackson end up opposite of Evans in TB.

Edited by dabeesta17
13 minutes ago, CL3VELANDBR0WNS said:

Actually he went off in week 16 and won me my Super Bowl as well as probably many others.

I won leagues facing owners who relied on him in wks 14 and 15 of the playoffs. Glad you dodged those bullets. 

15 minutes ago, psygolf said:

Why stop at week 16? ...because it fits for you.  

I am not fickle enough to believe it took 12 weeks for DCs to finally figure out that Evans needed extra coverage, then they forgot again week 16-17 when he scored 22.7 & 17.5 pts respectively ppr.

Because the FFL season ends after wk 16. Its not hard to understand...

To me, he's the first receiver I'm drafting (because I like having Aggies and Cowboys on my team and he's close enough to 1a and 1b for my taste).  

Fandom blinders off, I don't see how you could possibly rank him below 4, and I have a hard time justifying an aging Jordy ahead of him (although joshua has no problem, so YMMV), so I'd probably put him at #3 in my rational rankings behind Julio and Brown. Add in a 3rd year QB, and Evans himself being young and developing, and I'd be all in after Brown, Julio, Zeke, Bell, and DJ are off the board.

Love me some evans. i bought in last year...and then proceeded to trade him for a.j green in a bigger deal. A.j green was good, but looking back i wish i never made the trade. Evans just came back in better shape, moved better and the chemistry with winston is growing, and will continue to grow.

Tampas D isnt the greatest, and the run game had its issues. I feel like that aided Evans with the need to throw consistently, in comparison to arob/bortles from 2 years ago. Now, dont take that the wrong way, I dont think winston has a bortles-like collapse in him, and i think this duo will continue to grow into what we assumed arob/bortles would do this year.

A nice speed addition like djax could eliminate some of the attention evans gets as well. I like brate, but i dont think tampas 100% out of the question to draft a TE this year either.

I find it hard to place him anywhere other then #4 in my wr rankings, and hes easily debatable with any of the top wr options(OBJ/Brown/JJ)

Edited by vikingapocalypse
1 hour ago, petekrum said:

I was all in on him last year and am confident he will continue to dominate as a top end WR1.

Same here man.

He's going to be my #1 drafted receiver, in a lot of leagues.

15 minutes ago, ponza88 said:

Same here man.

He's going to be my #1 drafted receiver, in a lot of leagues.

Now that's ballsy.  I still like Julio or Brown in a separate tier without bringing in the Aggies fandom to boost Evans. It's a small gap, but big enough I'm not picking him ahead of those 2 without being an Aggie or Bucs fan.