NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mike Evans 2017 Season Outlook

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Dislimb said:

Bucs fan here... I will never draft this dude again under any circumstance. He can piss up a rope for all I care. So glad they didn’t give him a contract extension. Let him walk.

Is Evans the problem though? I haven't seen much of the tamba bay games this year

1 hour ago, Dislimb said:

Bucs fan here... I will never draft this dude again under any circumstance. He can piss up a rope for all I care. So glad they didn’t give him a contract extension. Let him walk.

No. This is overreacting to an extreme. It's a bad year, but check out the career stats. You don't let a guy with 3 straight 1,000 yard seasons in his first 3 years walk due to one bad year. That's how bad teams stay bad.

Career Stats

2014- 68/1,051/12

2015- 74/1,206/3

2016-96/1,321/12

2017-55/760/4 (1 game missed, 3 to play)

Edited by Shake
1 hour ago, Shake said:

Career Stats

2014- 68/1,051/12

2015- 74/1,206/3

2016-96/1,321/12

Why even watch games when you can just look at stats? ?

I mean, I get what you’re saying and all, but... I watch this guy play every Sunday and he just doesn’t give a flying **** out there anymore. He has terrible conditioning along with an entitled attitude. And if we must get into stats, he hasn’t even had a single 100 yard game this year. He’s basically been TD dependent and he’s only got 4 of those all year and hasn’t scored one in 2 months. He’s WR21 in 0.5 point PPR leagues and that is sure to go down even further after the spectacular 2/25 line he put up yesterday.

He was a mid to late 1st round pick in virtually all formats this year and the return has been that of a 6th-7th rounder. He’ll probably be drafted pretty high next year despite that for two reasons:

1- Contract year.

2- He’ll get slapped with the “post hype sleeper” tag that all the analysts love so much.

All I’m saying is that I want no part of him. Is the talent still there? Absolutely. I definitely cannot say the same as far as dedication goes though. It’s almost like a WR version of Albert Haynesworth. Even if Evans shapes up and plays harder in his contract year, I can totally see him showing up to camp looking like Jabba the Hut after he gets paid. Such a shame. 

1 hour ago, Shake said:

No. This is overreacting to an extreme. It's a bad year, but check out the career stats. You don't let a guy with 3 straight 1,000 yard seasons in his first 3 years walk due to one bad year. That's how bad teams stay bad.

Career Stats

2014- 68/1,051/12

2015- 74/1,206/3

2016-96/1,321/12

So 2 good years and 2 bad years (so far).

I don't play that rookie PPR so 2015 was a bad year, averaging 75ypg and 1 touchdown every 5.3 games.

28 minutes ago, Dislimb said:

Why even watch games when you can just look at stats? ?

I mean, I get what you’re saying and all, but... I watch this guy play every Sunday and he just doesn’t give a flying **** out there anymore. He has terrible conditioning along with an entitled attitude. And if we must get into stats, he hasn’t even had a single 100 yard game this year. He’s basically been TD dependent and he’s only got 4 of those all year and hasn’t scored one in 2 months. He’s WR21 in 0.5 point PPR leagues and that is sure to go down even further after the spectacular 2/25 line he put up yesterday.

He was a mid to late 1st round pick in virtually all formats this year and the return has been that of a 6th-7th rounder. He’ll probably be drafted pretty high next year despite that for two reasons:

1- Contract year.

2- He’ll get slapped with the “post hype sleeper” tag that all the analysts love so much.

All I’m saying is that I want no part of him. Is the talent still there? Absolutely. I definitely cannot say the same as far as dedication goes though. It’s almost like a WR version of Albert Haynesworth. Even if Evans shapes up and plays harder in his contract year, I can totally see him showing up to camp looking like Jabba the Hut after he gets paid. Such a shame. 

You're not going to get me to argue he's had a down year, that's undeniable. With that said, I'm sure there's reasons other than he's just unmotivated, though I don't doubt that's a strong possibility. He's also had Jameis in and out of the lineup this year as well. I'm sure that hasn't helped. 

The point I'm making is 1 bad season doesn't throw away the promise he showed in years 1-3. Let him play out his contract year and see where he's at and if you're still not convinced in making a long term deal, there's always the Franchise tag as well. I just think it's premature to be trying to run him out of town due to this year.

Edited by Shake
22 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

So 2 good years and 2 bad years (so far).

I don't play that rookie PPR so 2015 was a bad year, averaging 75ypg and 1 touchdown every 5.3 games.

TDs are fluky stats, we should all know this by now.

Evans had 1,206 yards in his 2nd season. 11th most in the league that year. But I guess because his TDs were low it's a bad year?

The term bad year is vague I suppose, everyone has a different definition.

Just now, Shake said:

TDs are fluky stats, we should all know this by now.

Evans had 1,206 yards in his 2nd season. 11th most in the league that year. But I guess because his TDs were low it's a bad year?

The term bad year is vague I suppose, everyone has a different definition.

He was WR26 that year. Not even a WR2.

10 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

He was WR26 that year. Not even a WR2.

He also only played 14 games that year. Which would make him a WR2 in ppg. 

So that'd be 85 yards per game avg, not 75 you claimed earlier.

Either way, I look at 1200 yards in your 2nd year as a good year. If that's a bad year just because of low TDs, maybe people's expectations were too high after his rookie year?

Edited by Shake

I traded him for Jeffery and I completely thought this guy would rock my playoffs.

So i finally made it to the playoffs and really have doubts of who to start.

I unfortunately traded my depth to get really "strong" players.

Only have the options of him, Lynch (vs Dallas) or Diggs (vs CIN).

They also really don't convince me.

I think I might give him another chance...

Edited by Cam4Future

The problem I see in Evans from what I've noticed about his plays so far:

- Evans is not type of player who runs a lot with the ball after the catch. He has incredible skills in catching the ball. So he def. needs a high amount of targets to be really valuable. There is no single run over 80 to 100 yards and Winston is not the guy who throws for 60-80 yards (at the moment!). Imho, at the moment Winston does not give him the amount of targets he needs.

- Evans himself does not really look good, though. It's not only the fault of Winston imho. Some balls could have been catched that weren't and somehow his routes aren't that precise as in the past.

So what to do? 

In my opinion, there is no reason that his value goes up the last 2 games, because the main reason, and I didn't mention it yet, is that the Buccs completely suck this year and don't have anything to play for anymore.

On the other side, let him grab 1 TD and he will get >10p. You definitely need other good (!) players on your roster to bench him for the upcoming weeks. I myself don't have those unfortunately. And he had an incredible game against ATL last year.

I'm going to start him as a high end wr2 in 10 team std because I believe that since winstons return of injury hasn't changed the way he plays QB and Evans should see more targets than the last two weeks. I also think the touchdown drought is rather fluke. I understand concerns of him not trying, but he is technically in a contract year.

42 minutes ago, Cam4Future said:

The problem I see in Evans from what I've noticed about his plays so far:

- Evans is not type of player who runs a lot with the ball after the catch. He has incredible skills in catching the ball. So he def. needs a high amount of targets to be really valuable. There is no single run over 80 to 100 yards and Winston is not the guy who throws for 60-80 yards (at the moment!). Imho, at the moment Winston does not give him the amount of targets he needs.

- Evans himself does not really look good, though. It's not only the fault of Winston imho. Some balls could have been catched that weren't and somehow his routes aren't that precise as in the past.

So what to do? 

In my opinion, there is no reason that his value goes up the last 2 games, because the main reason, and I didn't mention it yet, is that the Buccs completely suck this year and don't have anything to play for anymore.

On the other side, let him grab 1 TD and he will get >10p. You definitely need other good (!) players on your roster to bench him for the upcoming weeks. I myself don't have those unfortunately. And he had an incredible game against ATL last year.

You're wrong there, yes they are out of it but don't discount the spoiler angle. Atl needs this game and with all that's gone wrong in Tampa I'm sure they would love the satisfaction of ending playoff hopes In a prime time game.

Edited by Nyblazer11235

went over my season, twice I lost directly because of him. playing someone else over him would have put me in the playoffs. I am the overall scoring leader in the league but lost tie breakers because of division winning percentage. I lost two division games because I put this anchor into my lineup over a better scoring low round draft player.

I went to rage drop him in one of my leagues this morning and to my surprise (and utter dismay) he was on the can’t drop list.

How the **** is the WR24 on the can’t drop list? Ridiculous.

ESPN league btw.