NBC Sports Edge Forums

Michael Thomas 2017 Season Outlook

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Impreza178 said:

Steady eddy but I need more 

Hasn't lived up to his draft value, we drafted him expecting him to live up to what appears to be his ceiling under the current situation in NO. And he still could. I don''t think he has regressed, it's more that his team is different.. They actually have an acceptable defense, the running game is as good as it has ever been under Brees, and therefore he isn't throwing 45 times a game. None of us expected this when we drafted him around that 1/2 turn. Simply just needs a few more touchdowns on top of what he's currently offering yardage wise. 

3 hours ago, Motown_Magic said:

You don't care about perspective and logic as to why he hasn't been what you wanted him to be? Alright then.. 10+ targets the last two weeks, Snead back, Ginn doing well, and defenses will need to adjust to the running game because it is tops on the league. This will open up the top, and if you consider my explanation, you will realize he is due for TDs in the future. 

Of course he's due, I'm just sayin that to this point I hoped for a few more points. Is that so unallowed? 

Why is there such insecurity some have around here when people are a little disappointed about some guys? I'll never get it. I'm not calling for his head on a platter, I'm simply saying for the draft position and being the man now I expected for a few more blowups. It doesn't matter this week as I crushed my opponent but points are points. He salvaged the day a bit but still, I expect some more 

Edited by Savatage79
22 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

Of course he's due, I'm just sayin that to this point I hoped for a few more points. Is that so unallowed? 

Why is there such insecurity some have around here when people are a little disappointed about some guys? I'll never get it. I'm not calling for his head on a platter, I'm simply saying for the draft position and being the man now I expected for a few more blowups. It doesn't matter this week as I crushed my opponent but points are points. He salvaged the day a bit but still, I expect some more 

I painted you a logical picture as to why it's not "ho hum" as you said, and offered insight as to why he might not be up to your standard and you say "bro I don't care about any of that." Im not insecure about Michael Thomas, I'm trying to come up with answers on what you are complaining about.

Moral of the story is I think we all agree that we need to root for the running game to regress and for the defense to take a step back, this way MT gets his $$ in the classic New Orleans shootouts we expected on draft day. Until then, he will be a high end WR2

39 minutes ago, Motown_Magic said:

I painted you a logical picture as to why it's not "ho hum" as you said, and offered insight as to why he might not be up to your standard and you say "bro I don't care about any of that." Im not insecure about Michael Thomas, I'm trying to come up with answers on what you are complaining about.

Moral of the story is I think we all agree that we need to root for the running game to regress and for the defense to take a step back, this way MT gets his $$ in the classic New Orleans shootouts we expected on draft day. Until then, he will be a high end WR2

His points for me are, 7, 11.4, 18.2, 18.9, 2.6 and 11.6. Which overall isn't awful but I'd of hoped and expected one or two 23 to 24 point games in there.  And sometimes I'm not posting lookin for someone answers or logical reasons for anything as I already know the issue, my point is simply that going into the season, I thought by now he'd has more than 69 points for me. Hopkins has 92 which I find is more on par.

I mean Chris hogan has 86.5 points, fuller has 53 already in 3 games,... My point is that I just felt Thomas without cooks would have more than 2 tds in 6 games. I mean I just don't get how it's not a universal "damn yea he should have a few more by now" 

Edited by Savatage79
53 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

What'd you guys expect when you drafted him?

He's Michael Crabtree 2.0. Consistent, but no week-winning blowup weeks. He's the opposite of Brandin Cooks, and is a good compliment to what Brees like in his receivers.

I do think the hype train got to many of us, and he did look like a beast in camp and preseason. Target hog, Cooks void = 20-30 more looks, NFC South's porous secondaries/ high scoring affairs, gameflow in his favor with consistent shootouts etc. Seemed like a perfect storm for a durable up and coming star with polished route running, no true other end zone threat, and a HOF QB locked onto him. 

It's Because last year the dude was such a truck, alot of nice td weeks and I said it in my opening post I believe... The formula changed with losing cooks, so I was worried how it would pan out. I think Kamara has changed the landscape but not enough to drown him out of a few more tds. But hopefully business picks up 

Thomas only had 3 100+ yard games last year - but the hype was real when Cooks got traded out of NO. He needs to score TD's to have that "big" game.

He's basically what Colston was for Drew Brees. Big target, sure hands and a red-zone threat. (Colston's highest # of games of going over 100+ yards in a season is 4).

In my 14 team PPR league I was desperate for a QB as a Luck/QB streaming owner and dealt Evans and Tyrod for Brees and Thomas. 

I believe both will have huge upside in the second half of the season with a favorable schedule rest of the way. Be patient.

3 hours ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

What'd you guys expect when you drafted him?

He's Michael Crabtree 2.0. Consistent, but no week-winning blowup weeks. He's the opposite of Brandin Cooks, and is a good compliment to what Brees like in his receivers.

Not really.   He’s much more of a consistent target throughout the field- and there’s no Amari Cooper receiving heavy coverage.  

Thomas is what every Drew Brees wr1 seems to become.  Consistent but not elite.   Expecting otherwise was hoping the Brees status quo of spreading the ball and not forcing coverage would suddenly change.    8 for 80 is what I expect from Thomas weekly.   Tds are bonuses 

7 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Not really.   He’s much more of a consistent target throughout the field- and there’s no Amari Cooper receiving heavy coverage.  

Thomas is what every Drew Brees wr1 seems to become.  Consistent but not elite.   Expecting otherwise was hoping the Brees status quo of spreading the ball and not forcing coverage would suddenly change.    8 for 80 is what I expect from Thomas weekly.   Tds are bonuses 

Crabtree is always a threat to be a 6-80-1 type of player each time he steps on the field. How is that any different than Michael Thomas?

im really waiting for Snead to come to full health to see what Thomas does. In week 6 against Detroit Snead only played 21 Snaps and thats the only game he played, and since New Orleans are facing teams they can run on less passing for Brees hopefully Snead will be back next week and chicago slows the Run game down

42 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Crabtree is always a threat to be a 6-80-1 type of player each time he steps on the field. How is that any different than Michael Thomas?

Crabtree is a RZ threat primarily.  They specifically target him there.   A TD a game (or more) is his M.O.  

yardage is secondary.  

Thomas is a steady target THROUGHOUT the field but tds are harder to come by because Brees isn’t forcing him the rock near the GL.   Anyone who’s open could get that TD. 

Make sense?

7 minutes ago, Jetdog16 said:

Btw, Snead's return will definitely help. Ginn is ok, bust mostly just runs slants/drags/streaks. Snead will open up additional room for everyone.

I think the opposite- or at the very best it’s no affect at all.  Just one more competent target for Brees to spread it to.    It’s not like Snead demands extra attention. 

We are likely looking at 8 for 80 every week.  

5 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

I think the opposite- or at the very best it’s no affect at all.  Just one more competent target for Brees to spread it to.    It’s not like Snead demands extra attention. 

We are likely looking at 8 for 80 every week.  

It's definitely not going to hurt. Most of the year, Thomas has been their only competent WR

Edited by Jetdog16
17 minutes ago, Jetdog16 said:

It's definitely not going to hurt. Most of the year, Thomas has been their only competent WR

Hope you’re right.  I see Coleman catching tds and Ginn going for 150.   Just need a bit more room for MT near the RZ and maybe Snead provides that 

Colston wasn't to shabby on tds tho, when they were inside the 20 he really shined. 2 td at this point is just disappointing no matter how someone slices it but we still have plenty of football, so hopefully he can start getting a few more