NBC Sports Edge Forums

Aaron Judge 2017 Outlook

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, sjs1890 said:

Pitchers need to start walking this guy every time or start throwing at him lol hes just too good.

If you watch his at-bats, you can tell how reluctant pitchers are to give him something to hit. But he just doesn't swing at many pitches outside the zone.

13 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Triple Crown?

With Trout out, I ain't joking...

6-11-2017%204-34-51%20PM_zpsshcuej3j.jpg

Favorite player since Mattingly, but winning the batting title would shock the hell out of me.  However, so did hitting a ball 495 feet a day after hitting a ball 121.1 MPH, so I wouldn't dare say this guy can't do something.

Re: Triple Crown

I was half joking, half serious when I posted initially, but history says it will be tough to sustain a high average with that strikeout rate:

In the past 20 years the highest batting averages for players who posted at least a 25% K/PA were Ryan Howard at .313 in 2006, Nelson Cruz at .302 in 2015 and BJ Upton at an even .300 in 2007

52 minutes ago, sjs1890 said:

Pitchers need to start walking this guy every time or start throwing at him lol hes just too good.

problem is that Sanchez, Holliday,Castro are all having very good years behind him....and he IS walking

6 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Re: Triple Crown

I was half joking, half serious when I posted initially, but history says it will be tough to sustain a high average with that strikeout rate:

In the past 20 years the highest batting averages for players who posted at least a 25% K/PA were Ryan Howard at .313 in 2006, Nelson Cruz at .302 in 2015 and BJ Upton at an even .300 in 2007

The thing is, despite the pretty high strikeout rate, Judge has some things going in his favor with regards to batting average:

- He makes the hardest contact in baseball

- He hits the ball to all fields, making shifts a non-factor for him

- His general approach to hitting is solid. He doesn't swing at many pitches well outside of the zone

If anyone has the ability to continue hitting over .300 despite ~28% K rate, it's him.

Edited by ReyesMurphyWright