NBC Sports Edge Forums

Aaron Judge 2017 Outlook

201 wRC+ now. Next highest in baseball is Goldschmidt at 163 wRC+. 

He also has a 5.1 fWAR after tonight. Boston's entire starting outfield has a 4.9 fWAR combined . So I don't think Benintendi's gonna get that ROY trophy after all. 

Edited by absknicks
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, absknicks said:

201 wRC+ now. Next highest in baseball is Goldschmidt at 163 wRC+. 

He also has a 5.1 fWAR after tonight. Boston's entire starting outfield has a 4.9 fWAR combined . So I don't think Benintendi's gonna get that ROY trophy after all. 

Settle down,  Story got his injury around this time, last year,  all it takes is one moronic pitch from Rodon, like yesterday.  Rooting hard for Judge but the season is nowhere near over

Edited by urban2014
4 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Settle down,  Story got his injury around this time, last year,  all it takes is one moronic pitch from Rodon, like yesterday.  Rooting hard for Judge but the season is nowhere near over

Settle down with what exactly? 

4 minutes ago, absknicks said:

He would win the ROY if he didn't play another game starting today.

Just no. Story didn't get it for 27 HRS and an awesome first half of the season.  

1 minute ago, urban2014 said:

Just no. Story didn't get it for 27 HRS and an awesome first half of the season.  

There's a massive difference between what Story did and what Judge is doing. Trevor Story put up a 2.8 WAR in 97 games last season. Aaron Judge has already put up a 5.1 WAR in 74 games. It's not comparable in the least. 

43 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Barring a catastrophic injury, you honestly think anyone else has a chance to beat him out of the Rookie of the Year Award? He is a front runner for MVP and we are almost half way through the year. 

Story had  a bunch of HRs, Judge has a shot at  a Triple Crown and doesn't play in Coors. 

4 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

A little harsh, esp considering he's probably correct. Who else is even realistically in the ROY conversation?

If we are going there, Beneteni and his marginal stats would be enough if Judge doesn't play another game and Benetenti plays all season

Edited by urban2014
7 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

A little harsh, esp considering he's probably correct. Who else is even realistically in the ROY conversation?

I think he was just saying it in a "don't even suggest the possibility of him getting hurt" type of way. At least that's how I took it. 

1 minute ago, absknicks said:

I think he was just saying it in a "don't even suggest the possibility of him getting hurt" type of way. At least that's how I took it. 

I think you are being too kind.  

2 minutes ago, absknicks said:

Right on, I'll go with your view. I took that to mean the 180° view, my bad I guess

Take away the batting average and Judges counting stats are pretty darn good for a rookie season.  i mean may I stress he has scored 70 runs already and leads his league in a ton of u know stats. Story like others have stated just had that shiny 26 hrs going for him.  

Just now, jfazz23 said:

sitting today after back to back DH games

any injury worries here?

He says he's fine and Girardi said he's fine as well and will be back in RF tomorrow. Just said he wanted to get him a little extra rest since he's so big and a man of that size typically has more wear and tear than a normal sized player. 

Interesting timing to give him a day off against the best team in baseball. I know he's been playing every day but another day at DH wouldn't have hurt him. Would've liked to see him sit against literally any other team. Yanks really need these games. 

Just now, DannyMcPot said:

Interesting timing to give him a day off against the best team in baseball. I know he's been playing every day but another day at DH wouldn't have hurt him. Would've liked to see him sit against literally any other team. Yanks really need these games. 

The Yankees beat the Astros yesterday and bad, so they are probably expecting to lose. Why not rest

1 minute ago, urban2014 said:

The Yankees beat the Astros yesterday and bad, so they are probably expecting to lose. Why not rest

That's a terrible mentality to have lol

It's not like he's been playing the field the past two games. He deserves rest, I just don't understand sitting out entirely against the Astros. 

Managers in the big leagues are out of control with the whole "rest" thing. It's stupid. It was stupid tonight. If it works out and the Yankees win, it was still stupid. You don't sit him against Houston, under any circumstance. He DH'd last night. He's 25, and a strapping lad. They have off days. How much rest do you need? It's stupid and it applies to about the way every team in the big leagues does it now. Sirius XM talked about it for an hour on the fantasy channel the other day and it was great to hear. The new norm is ridiculous. These guys are coddled. It isn't Judge's fault or the other guys who sit routinely for "rest". It's baseball season and if you're healthy they should play them 160. Not buying that a day off is going to swing his speed up.

12 hours ago, mevins31 said:

Managers in the big leagues are out of control with the whole "rest" thing. It's stupid. It was stupid tonight. If it works out and the Yankees win, it was still stupid. You don't sit him against Houston, under any circumstance. He DH'd last night. He's 25, and a strapping lad. They have off days. How much rest do you need? It's stupid and it applies to about the way every team in the big leagues does it now. Sirius XM talked about it for an hour on the fantasy channel the other day and it was great to hear. The new norm is ridiculous. These guys are coddled. It isn't Judge's fault or the other guys who sit routinely for "rest". It's baseball season and if you're healthy they should play them 160. Not buying that a day off is going to swing his speed up.

Agreed, there are days off mixed in to the schedule, you don't need to take any actual games off at age 25.  Sitting out the game really doesn't equate to much rest anyway when you still have to go to the park, take warm ups, and sit on the bench.  He DH'd the past two days, "for a rest", and he pinch hit last night anyway, so what did he save versus a 3rd day at DH?  Three AB's?  Wow, what a rejuvenation.

It's made even dumber by the fact they were playing the Astros, they are slipping in the standings, several other big bats are on the DL, the All-Star break is coming up and while he will be involved, it still provides some rest days, and while minor, it still sucks, he had a 32-game on base streak snapped by getting only one pinch hit AB.

16 hours ago, DannyMcPot said:

well they should have won yesterday, betances blew it and chapman wasnt much better

The double Judge just had was his 36th fly ball or line drive of 110 mph this season. That is 15 more than any other player. (Stanton). 

Judge has a .448 obp. No other in the AL is over .400.