NBC Sports Edge Forums

Aaron Judge 2017 Outlook

Fun piece from Passan who watched all 10 of Judge's home runs so far and provided a breakdown/reaction to each one: https://sports.yahoo.com/news/reliving-aaron-judges-magnificent-month-yankees-043356627.html 

Found this anecdote about his 5th homer really interesting: Fawning commentary: This is the good stuff. The ball left the batter’s box nearly 40 mph faster than when it entered. (Actually, if we’re being truthful, it actually exceeded 45 mph. Pitch velocity is read when it leaves a pitcher’s hand. Covey’s curve crossed the plate at 70.8 mph.) Never before has Statcast recorded a difference that large.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Yankees fan, I'll tell you guys this- this year he's laying off the sliders and breaking balls in the dirt. That's been his biggest adjustment and why he's seeing the ball so well. I don't own him, but I think an Edwin Encarnacion type of season is VERY possible. If not this year, in the near future. 

On Sunday, April 30, 2017 at 3:03 AM, kingjames02392 said:

Im being serious. I'm in love with this man. 

Lol. I assume you own him in a keeper league? Wonder what would it take to pry him away from you? Would emotion get in the way??

15 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan4Life said:

I own him an al only keeper league.  It would take a kings ransom to get him away from me.  Having said that, he is going to slump and slump HARD this year.   I wonder what people will say then.   

If his plate discipline strides hold up I think he could mitigate any extremely long slump like he fell into last year. I think most realize he's not a .300 hitter at this juncture of his career but if he could slash .265/35/110 I think everyone would be just thrilled with that (and I happen to think it's a realistic goal for him). 

Edited by absknicks
On 4/29/2017 at 8:00 AM, lassetjus said:

I tend to shy away from those guys as well especially since my league counts strikeouts. Nevertheless I think the takeaway is that you just never know how a player can develop or change. A guy's ability is never set in stone, especially when they are young. In Judge's case, there was Spring Training chatter that he worked all Summer to make more contact and studied other players. While Greg Bird wad grabbing all the attention, Judge was having a solid Spring himself and looked like he improved his contact issues and was hitting balls to the opposite field with power. People say spring training doesn't matter but in this case it did.

New Fangraphs article basically expanding on what I said above.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/aaron-judges-breakout-began-in-march-perhaps-earlier/

12 minutes ago, Golden Spikes said:

Can't believe I dropped this guy and kept bird 1 week into the season

hes making Giancarlo look like a punk

Yikes. 

How is this guy not leading the league in walks. No pitcher can stop him

Just now, CanadianSportsJunkie said:

has anyone moved this guy in a keeper league? is this for real? he is a monster

id imagine it be near impossible to make a trade now.  like, the judge owner would want Bryce Harper plus

Hindsight is always 20/20 but I had the choice of drafting this guy or Bird, and I obviously drafted the wrong player.

The guy drafting right after me picked Judge.

:(