NBC Sports Edge Forums

Sterling Shepard 2017 Season Outlook

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, griffin727 said:

Perhaps Geno's mobility will offset the difference in Eli's accuracy (for fantasy purposes) to give some time for everyone to get open. Just thinking optimistically here.

Here's the thing about Geno.  I'll wager that we see some big pass plays again (including garbage time).  If Geno isn't your QB, who cares how many he tosses to the other side.  He'll take chances that Eli never would, and he'll generate off-schedule pass completions that Eli never could.  If Shep (and/or Engram) know what they are doing when the play breaks down, Geno will keep things alive long enough to make something big happen once in awhile.  OBJ created all the big plays by himself.  Now, some of that big play potential will reside with the QB, as shaky as he may be in other facets of his game.  

And I'm not comparing Geno to Watson (or McAdoo to O'Brien), but look what happened to the moribund Texas offense when Watson took over.  It morphed very quickly into a big play offense.  Just saying.

Edited by Rolling Thunder
18 minutes ago, griffin727 said:

Perhaps Geno's mobility will offset the difference in Eli's accuracy (for fantasy purposes) to give some time for everyone to get open. Just thinking optimistically here.

That's exactly my hope.  The Giants have had very few big plays this year.  I know their OL is probably mostly to blame but Eli also has zero mobility in the pocket and could never extend anything.  Maybe Geno can show some mobility and get some stuff down the field.  This could be the last chance he has.....He's not turning any heads if he goes out there and plays conservative and does nothing more than Eli was doing.

Let's face it....Geno needs to make plays and there is little reason for the Giants to go out there and play some conservative game like they're in playoff contention or something.  

As for Shepard, we're still looking at a teams #1 WR here.  The tough part though is that Eli seemed to have eyes for Shepard and no telling what Geno will do.

34 minutes ago, tts42572 said:

That's exactly my hope.  The Giants have had very few big plays this year.  I know their OL is probably mostly to blame but Eli also has zero mobility in the pocket and could never extend anything.  Maybe Geno can show some mobility and get some stuff down the field.  This could be the last chance he has.....He's not turning any heads if he goes out there and plays conservative and does nothing more than Eli was doing.

Let's face it....Geno needs to make plays and there is little reason for the Giants to go out there and play some conservative game like they're in playoff contention or something.  

As for Shepard, we're still looking at a teams #1 WR here.  The tough part though is that Eli seemed to have eyes for Shepard and no telling what Geno will do.

Lots of good points lately but still a big question mark.  Every QB has their favorite target and we knew Eli would pepper Shepard with 10+ targets a game no problem.  I just don't know what Geno will do and how many targets we expect Shepard to get this game.  What if he ends up throwing more to Engram and the RBs?

I don't see much in the way of garbage time with Cooper and Crabtree out and the Giants' D has been better the past couple weeks. Not sure if Seth Roberts and Cordelle Patterson and Co. can exploit the secondary even with Janoris Jenkins on IR. This looks like a Beastmode plodder game if you're Oakland and a low-scoring, ugly game overall on the surface. 

One interesting stat: Oakland's defense has ONE interception all season and it was last week by a linebacker off two deflections LOL. So it's not exactly a ball-hawking secondary. Of course, that number will be tripled or quadrupled by Sunday night. :(

1 hour ago, tts42572 said:

As a Jet fan ...I can tell you exactly what  Geno will do...he will suck!

on a positive note, he does have a big arm and does love to throw to his WR's.....back a few years, he used to pepper Decker and Harvin....and he had no problem locking in to certain WRs.....hopefully he does so with Shephard as hes the best they have...by far.

More colour: 

Sterling Shepard deemed himself "back to normal" after his bout with migraines.

Advice: Shepard is practicing in full for Week 13 against the Raiders and will be back out there after missing two games. There's always a chance for a flare-up in migraine-sufferers, but that's obviously completely unpredictable. Treat Shepard as a WR3 moving forward with Geno Smith/Davis Webb under center.

Although I do think Geno is better than his numbers show (not much of a floor to really begin with), I think he'll struggle with Flowers being completely garbage on the line and the o-line just being terrible. We're all expecting him to suck, and I so dear god hope that we can get some garbage time points for Shepard. 

If we don't, I'll get a freaking migraine.

Just now, leesanity7 said:

Although I do think Geno is better than his numbers show (not much of a floor to really begin with), I think he'll struggle with Flowers being completely garbage on the line and the o-line just being terrible. We're all expecting him to suck, and I so dear god hope that we can get some garbage time points for Shepard. 

If we don't, I'll get a freaking migraine.

I read an article documenting how Flowers has improved as the season progressed at LT. 

Progressed, yes, but from where he started the season, I'm not sure how you could be any worse. He's the TJ Clemmings of this year.

Here's what Ereck Flowers' latest week report was:

ERECK FLOWERS, 52.9 OVERALL GRADE

Flowers has been playing better over the last month when it comes to pass blocking in particular, but when Washington was able to deploy Junior Galette late in the game in passing situations, Flowers was taken into deep water and couldn’t keep up. He surrendered a sack and two hurries, but he was also flagged three times in the game for holding, two of them being declined.

Deciding between him and Vernon Davis in the FLEX this week.  After Vernon burned me last week I'm thinking about rolling with Sterling.  Not exactly happy about it, but I feel like he has zero competition for targets.  Just depends if Geno can get the ball to him.

15 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Quite a bit of uncertainty here.  Matchup is great, QB terrible (but so was Eli), migraines appear to be cleared up. 

Decisions, decisions.

Debating also.  It's Shepard or Seth Roberts as my WR3.

I'm kinda leaning toward Shepard.  I just think he's the best option the Giants have on offense and they'll probably be playing from behind and maybe get some garbage points.  In reality Geno may not be much different than Eli.  I mean, Eli really has been pretty bad this year and has mostly looked like a scared kid in the pocket in most of the games I've watched.

I don't feel very good about Shepard though and still might switch to Roberts.

18 hours ago, mjagger42 said:

I don't see much in the way of garbage time with Cooper and Crabtree out and the Giants' D has been better the past couple weeks. Not sure if Seth Roberts and Cordelle Patterson and Co. can exploit the secondary even with Janoris Jenkins on IR. This looks like a Beastmode plodder game if you're Oakland and a low-scoring, ugly game overall on the surface. 

One interesting stat: Oakland's defense has ONE interception all season and it was last week by a linebacker off two deflections LOL. So it's not exactly a ball-hawking secondary. Of course, that number will be tripled or quadrupled by Sunday night. :(

One Word: GENOSMITH

16 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Quite a bit of uncertainty here.  Matchup is great, QB terrible (but so was Eli), migraines appear to be cleared up. 

Decisions, decisions.

Im glad to at least now have a decision to be made. I hate injury deciding my starting lineup, although it does make my job easier. 

I have 3 guys to consider for my WR3 position, including SS, so I’m glad to have this option. Of course, I still don’t know which one, but I don’t think Geno will make me downgrade SS that much.  I think his escapability might be a plus that could work to his good. Eli looks gunshy so maybe this can be a plus.