NBC Sports Edge Forums

Sterling Shepard 2017 Season Outlook

17 hours ago, dashoe said:

So another prove it week  for me because he hasnt played in 2 weeks and he has a new QB.

Amazing

16 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Quite a bit of uncertainty here.  Matchup is great, QB terrible (but so was Eli), migraines appear to be cleared up. 

Decisions, decisions.

If Shepard plays what is your guess on yds

Being a Shepard & Engram owner I have no idea how to proceed. Especially when two bench spots are taken up by Crabtree & Hogan.

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, TennisMenace said:

Im glad to at least now have a decision to be made. I hate injury deciding my starting lineup, although it does make my job easier. 

I have 3 guys to consider for my WR3 position, including SS, so I’m glad to have this option. Of course, I still don’t know which one, but I don’t think Geno will make me downgrade SS that much.  I think his escapability might be a plus that could work to his good. Eli looks gunshy so maybe this can be a plus.

In the same boat.  In a standard league, who would you start between Sterling, Dez and either JuJu/Martavis if JuJu doesn't play?  I have to win this week to get in.

1 minute ago, shakestreet said:

If Shepard plays what is your guess on yds

Being a Shepard & Engram owner I have no idea how to proceed. Especially when two bench spots are taken up by Crabtree & Hogan.

I have zero clue. We know how effective Sterling can be but no idea how Geno is. This is a new situation with a new QB and the wr is minimally only as good as the QB performance. I dont remember the last time I saw Geno Smith play. We also don't know if the offense schemes more run heavy,rb/te pass heavy to hide the QB.  Sterling could put up zero yd and catches just as easily as he could put up 10 catches 100yds. 

As this week goes on and he's showing that he is healthy I'm really starting to warm up to playing him as a flex in standard scoring.  He's capable of 7-133-1 and 11-142 which I would take all day err day.  We don't know what the QB situation will be like once the lights go on but I know he's a good WR and they have to throw the ball sometimes.

If he stays headache free the rest of the week I'm leaning towards playing him.

3 minutes ago, dashoe said:

I have zero clue. We know how effective Sterling can be but no idea how Geno is. This is a new situation with a new QB and the wr is minimally only as good as the QB performance. I dont remember the last time I saw Geno Smith play. We also don't know if the offense schemes more run heavy,rb/te pass heavy to hide the QB.  Sterling could put up zero yd and catches just as easily as he could put up 10 catches 100yds. 

Land this is exactly why I can’t play him this week.  I need more info to,process. Since I have other decent options -Dede, Goodwin, Juju?- I will pass on SS this week.  Having said that, if my other options were not good, I don’t think playing him is a bad decision. Someone has to catch passes out there. Why not their best? 

1 minute ago, dashoe said:

That is my thought exactly --

Three WR's spots always relying on the QB play .... some weeks bingo other weeks a dud

my starting WR's are Jones, Funchess & Shepard with Kupp on the bench. Funchess is dealing with a toe injury the same toe he broke in college.

If all 4 play I am going to have a decision which one sits. picking the right one to sit is that luck or skill? :D

Sure, it was dumb to bench Eli and it does hurt Shepard, but this isn't a Nathan Peterman situation.  Geno Smith has proven he can complete passes, take his team on TD drives, and win games. Look at his game log from 2014.  He had plenty of productive games:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/15864/year/2014

I'm unhappy with the situation, but it's not hopeless. 

Just now, Jewelz0376 said:

I'm going back and forth if I should start him at my flex. This might be one of those I don't decide on until Sat night/ Sun morning. 

I think its easier to play Engram than Shep tbh. If you have other options, you may want to look that way first.

Evan Silva makes a strong case for Shepard:

"Although big media made Geno sound like the worst quarterback in the world all week, over his last eight regular season appearances Smith has completed 63.5% of his passes at 8.34 yards per attempt with a 9:4 TD-to-INT ratio and 24/118/5.1/0 rushing line."

"Shepard is an auto-WR3 play against Oakland, who got drilled by Broncos rotating slot WRs Cody Latimer (3/48/1) and Bennie Fowler (3/33/1) in Week 12 after giving up 8/66/1 to Patriots slot man Danny Amendola in Week 11."

So, with Paxton Lynch and Trevor Simien passing the ball to Cody Latimer and Bennie Fowler, slot WR produced big points. I think Shepard is going to be alright.

5 minutes ago, Nap Time said:

Evan Silva makes a strong case for Shepard:

"Although big media made Geno sound like the worst quarterback in the world all week, over his last eight regular season appearances Smith has completed 63.5% of his passes at 8.34 yards per attempt with a 9:4 TD-to-INT ratio and 24/118/5.1/0 rushing line."

"Shepard is an auto-WR3 play against Oakland, who got drilled by Broncos rotating slot WRs Cody Latimer (3/48/1) and Bennie Fowler (3/33/1) in Week 12 after giving up 8/66/1 to Patriots slot man Danny Amendola in Week 11."

So, with Paxton Lynch and Trevor Simien passing the ball to Cody Latimer and Bennie Fowler, slot WR produced big points. I think Shepard is going to be alright.

Heck, after reading this, I might play him as my WR2 and bench Diggs who probavly won’t do much against Trufant (Assuming he is playing).

14 minutes ago, TennisMenace said:

Heck, after reading this, I might play him as my WR2 and bench Diggs who probavly won’t do much against Trufant (Assuming he is playing).

Trufant is highly unlikely to play, Diggs should eat.

The Raiders aren't covering anyone right now.  And Sterling Shepard will almost certainly be a central part of the Giants' gameplan.  How badly will McAdoo want to win with Geno and prove to the football world that benching Eli was the right call?

7 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

The Raiders aren't covering anyone right now.  And Sterling Shepard will almost certainly be a central part of the Giants' gameplan.  How badly will McAdoo want to win with Geno and prove to the football world that benching Eli was the right call?

I'm more worried about the swiss cheese offensive line protecting Geno more than anything.

Also are Raiders still in the hunt for playoffs?  Do they have anything to play for?

18 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

I'm more worried about the swiss cheese offensive line protecting Geno more than anything.

Also are Raiders still in the hunt for playoffs?  Do they have anything to play for?

I believe the Raiders are 5-6, or one game back in the AFC West.  Very much alive.

54 minutes ago, ludawg23 said:

The guys over at twoqbs did a fantastic statistical analysis of Geno Smith and his production when he started for people who are interested on how this affects Sheppard/Engram

http://twoqbs.com/in-season/week-13-rankings-game-flowbotics-2017/

This is not a ringing endorsement for Geno except to suck.  

Legend has it LT would send a "lady of the night" to the hotel room of the starting running back on the other team the night before a big game.  He wanted them physically tired-out and sleep deprived.  

This is not at all like that.

No wonder he had migraines.

Grappling with Shepard or Booker. Surprisingly leaning towards Shepard. Think there is a chance Geno is servicable and gives Shepard a higher ceiling. That said, Shepard's floor is like...a goose egg.