NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Sterling Shepard 2017 Season Outlook

Savatage79

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

yea im choosing between diggs and shepard and ultimately going with diggs.  I'll prolly regret it though bc fantasy football

I too own Diggs and he rightfully is on my bench. So be it if he goes off.....he hasn’t done it in quite a while. I know last week he got about 9 points in standard, but Shepard did so much more and has a much higher ceiling. 

I agree though....Diggs is a safe 5 points if you want safe. 

54 minutes ago, Raynestorm said:

I can’t imagine why PP wouldn’t shadow SS. Giants have absolutely no other viable option but EE, and I don’t see PP trying to cover him. I assume, if the cards were smart, they would have PP shadow SS everywhere including the bathroom, and double EE with safety help. The Giants wouldn’t be able to move the ball at all. 

I have SS and badly want to play him, but from a logical standpoint, I can’t trust the cards to be that inept to leave SS free. Although I have seen teams do more ridiculous maneuvers to defy all logic...

If PP covers SS all day, there’s no chance SS does much. If 50% coverage or less, and I would feel confident starting over Gordon, Diggs, and the like. If PP only lines up on the outside and leaves SS in the slot, SS will be top 10, maybe top 5 this week. 

Ultimate risk/reward this week, fitting for a championship game!

You are not reading carefully mate.  Peterson doesn’t even cover BALDWIN out of the slot. If he doesn’t cover the Great Baldwin out of the slot, why would he now feel the need to cover someone not nearly as good (Shepard)?

9 minutes ago, TennisMenace said:

You are not reading carefully mate.  Peterson doesn’t even cover BALDWIN out of the slot. If he doesn’t cover the Great Baldwin out of the slot, why would he now feel the need to cover someone not nearly as good (Shepard)?

I think the counter is that the Seahawks at least have someone competent on the outside in Richardson and Lockett whereas Shepard (especially with King out) do not.  

I'm banking on your thinking being right though.  Starting him over Gordon this week.

I don’t see Baldwin as better than Shepard. Baldwin is as good as Wilson makes him. 

But yes, Seahawks have more than 1 receiver that can beat a defense, as Wilson will find them in broken coverage, easily. 

Giants have absolutely no one outside of EE. PP will be bored out of his mind covering those backup receivers, and the cards would be wasting his talent covering them. 

Like i said, I want to be wrong, and that PP plays outside, but I can’t imagine the Cards just letting SS run loose when he’s the only receiver that is remotely close to any threat to them. 

I dunno... it’s foolish to bank on PP never covering a slot receiver. 

1 hour ago, Baur10 said:

I think the counter is that the Seahawks at least have someone competent on the outside in Richardson and Lockett whereas Shepard (especially with King out) do not.  

I'm banking on your thinking being right though.  Starting him over Gordon this week.

Roger Lewis is as good as Lockett. 

31 minutes ago, Raynestorm said:

I don’t see Baldwin as better than Shepard. Baldwin is as good as Wilson makes him. 

But yes, Seahawks have more than 1 receiver that can beat a defense, as Wilson will find them in broken coverage, easily. 

Giants have absolutely no one outside of EE. PP will be bored out of his mind covering those backup receivers, and the cards would be wasting his talent covering them. 

Like i said, I want to be wrong, and that PP plays outside, but I can’t imagine the Cards just letting SS run loose when he’s the only receiver that is remotely close to any threat to them. 

I dunno... it’s foolish to bank on PP never covering a slot receiver. 

Well, then have PP cover Engram if you are worried about him being bored.  

The slot CB probably wouldn’t know what to do when having to cover a wide receiver. Why upset his day? 

It’s not me deciding who PP covers. You telling me that he should cover EE as your opinion, won’t make the risk of playing Shepard any less. 

I have SS and would love to play him. I’m just trying to be rational in expectations on what might be a high probability of happening. Which is PP shadows SS. 

My only outside thought is since the Cards have nothing to pay for, they just play mostly vanilla on defense and keep PP at his usual position on the outside. If they wanted to win, I would think they would shadow SS with PP. 

I obviously don’t have inside knowledge about this, but I’ve quoted Silva and another “expert” showed data that PP only covers slot I think 12% of the time while SS runs out of it 88%.

all we can do is take that data and make a decision. Right? 

I could be wrong and if if I am and PP blankets him...I lose....

2 hours ago, The Cam's Pyjamas said:

With half the games this week being subject to freezing temperatures / possible rain or snow, I’ll take the safe option of Sterling Shepard under a dome.

Benched Thielen for that reason, which has worked out well so far. Also going to sit Gordon due to the weather this week.

Wow, that was ballsy to bench Thielen, a guy predicted to be top 10 with no good CB covering him.  I’m impressed.  I benched Diggs for similar thinking. 

Any concern that NY gives Webb some run at QB today for a look?  

Looks like a good matchup today.  This is taken from todays matchups by Evan Silva's article :

Sterling Shepard erased fears about his health in a dominant Week 15 performance (11/139/1), most notably torching Eagles standout slot CB Patrick Robinson and sturdy SS Malcolm Jenkins for big plays. Shepard runs 84% of his routes in the slot, where the Cardinals have struggled against Golden Tate (10/107/0), Doug Baldwin (5/95/0), Nelson Agholor (4/93/1), Bruce Ellington (6/63/0), Cooper Kupp (5/68/0, 4/51/1), Eric Decker (3/56/0), Jamison Crowder (5/55/1), Adam Humphries (6/51/0), and Trent Taylor (5/47/0). Shepard is a WR2 play with WR1 upside in PPR leagues. Roger Lewis (4/74/0) made positive Week 15 contributions in the Giants’ shootout loss, but he isn't a realistic option against Patrick Peterson’s stout boundary coverage. Peterson has covered receivers on the outside 88% of the time this season.

Edited by Jordan23