NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Sterling Shepard 2017 Season Outlook

Savatage79

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, CrastersCreep said:

Sherman sticks to one side of the field. They’ll move Shepard all over the place and he should see an outrageous level of volume.

If Griffin and or Jeremy Lane struggle and the game is tight Sherman will probably shadow him. I wouldn't even be surprised if he covers Sheps in the slot.

You gotta think the Seahawks believe they'll have Engram covered underneath with Bobby Wagner so if they can take a hobbled Sheps out that will force the Giants to beat them on the ground or by making throws to inexperienced receivers.

1 minute ago, BrokeLoser said:

If Griffin and or Jeremy Lane struggle and the game is tight Sherman will probably shadow him. I wouldn't even be surprised if he covers Sheps in the slot.

You gotta think the Seahawks believe they'll have Engram covered underneath with Bobby Wagner so if they can take a hobbled Sheps out that will force the Giants to beat them on the ground or by making throws to inexperienced receivers.

But I’ve never seen Sherman shadow someone. And even if he shadows him say 75-85% of the snaps played that’s still x percent where he’ll be Eli’s first read. Not to mention it just takes one play for Shep due to his redzone acumen to have a productive day. Sherman has not been the dominant force he has been in years past either. Oh and the game script could benefit him if the Hawks jump out to a big lead. I see way more reasons to start him then to sit him is my point.

1 minute ago, CrastersCreep said:

But I’ve never seen Sherman shadow someone. And even if he shadows him say 75-85% of the snaps played that’s still x percent where he’ll be Eli’s first read. Not to mention it just takes one play for Shep due to his redzone acumen to have a productive day. Sherman has not been the dominant force he has been in years past either. Oh and the game script could benefit him if the Hawks jump out to a big lead. I see way more reasons to start him then to sit him is my point.

I agree with ya...I'm just playing devils advocate and Negative Nelly...LOL

I don't think we can just assume he's gonna play slot with all their injuries and engram there as well. That being said, Sherman doesn't concern me and I seriously doubt he's gonna follow him around. Shepard should be a solid play although I think this could be a low scoring game so the volume will be lower than usual. 

In 2015 Sherman played lots of slot coverage....notably in 2016 Sherman often shadowed Julio Jones left to right and in the slot holding JJ to something like 50yds on a few catches. 

Seattle can't afford to lose this game, they will be in must win mode and if they think Shep will be the key factor in beating them I'd expect they'd shut him down at all costs....all I'm saying is don't be surprised if Sherman takes over Shep duties beyond the first qtr.

14 hours ago, Wrighty said:

Ive got ivory l, wonde if it's worth playing both, I'd take 25 from the pair.  I was going to play Stirling shep as my flex, but could got ivory. 

Always the risk when starting someone coming off injury. The only thing that can be said is that the Giants have a bye week next week and if the coaching staff wasn't 100% certain that he could go  they could have easily sat him out through the bye. 

16 minutes ago, Mikeboy said:

I guess he will be the no. 1 wideout after few weeks and a high end WR 2 / low end WR1

On this offense I have him as wr3 with wr2 upside basically a flex.Too many assumptions  and hope baked into him being  a wr1.  Take a look at the redskins and they don't a wr1 and are winning games with their rb/te being the top pass catchers.

22 minutes ago, dashoe said:

On this offense I have him as wr3 with wr2 upside basically a flex.Too many assumptions  and hope baked into him being  a wr1.  Take a look at the redskins and they don't a wr1 and are winning games with their rb/te being the top pass catchers.

I agree. The Giants don't trust their O line enough(rightly so) for Shep to have that type of value. What you saw against Denver will have to be a recipe for success. Play to their defense, establish the running game and take advantage of mismatches with Engram. I think Shep will be a big part of what they do in the short passing game, but I can't see him knocking on the door as a WR1.