NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Sterling Shepard 2017 Season Outlook

Savatage79

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/22/2017 at 11:02 PM, Butters said:

I’m glad he sat. Now he gets two weeks to get healthy and then hopefully be a target monster.

I just traded for Shepard so hoping he might at least become a decent WR3 type for me.  I'm not expecting much but he's at least had a few big games in his first couple years so there is some potential.  I also kind of like that he's an under the radar guy in terms that opposing defenses aren't going to come in and say....We need to lock down Sterling Shepard.  

I unloaded Pryor and Martavis Bryant for Shepard and Robby Anderson.  

Mostly, I just had to get rid of Pryor and Bryant.  I'm tired of the temptation to put them in my lineup every week thinking that a breakout is coming.  

38 minutes ago, frog34 said:

If he is fully healthy after their bye, is this guy the real deal? Will he continue playing in the slot or take OBJ's starting outside WR spot? Shepard may be good ouf the slot, but he's never faced top tier CB coverage before.

dart throw because this is a new offense for the giants in terms of talent and the types of plays they can implement effectively

5 minutes ago, nk3323 said:

i'm sorry if this is OT but what is equal trade value for him - roughly.  And is he a WR3 or more than that?

Wr3 until people can see how he is used in what's basically a  new offense. Some are holding for wr2 value.  So trade value could be  whatever the owner perceives him to be

Shepard is used to playing as a slot receiver with Beckham Jr. and Marshall working on the outside. In their absence, he will likely be asked to line up on the outside, which he is confident in doing. 

"I know the system, I know what needs to be done outside, so I don't think that'll be a problem," he said. "I've played a lot of outside in college. It is an opportunity, but I'm just going to do what I'm asked and try to make plays."

https://www.sny.tv/giants/news/sterling-shepard-says-he-will-be-ready-to-play-after-bye-week/259545302

Shepard had a 41-inch vertical leap at the combine, tied with Josh Doctson were tied for the best mark.

I think format is important here. In a PPR format he and Engram should eat up heavy targets and he'll be worth an look. He was just dropped in my standard league though and I think I'm gonna let him sit there. Not enough upside, although he could prove me wrong. 

26 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

I think format is important here. In a PPR format he and Engram should eat up heavy targets and he'll be worth an look. He was just dropped in my standard league though and I think I'm gonna let him sit there. Not enough upside, although he could prove me wrong. 

He should be owned everywhere.

Super talented WR coming off a good rookie year who is now the #1 option in a semi competent offense.

9 minutes ago, Chwf3rd said:

Super talented WR coming off a good rookie year who is now the #1 option in a semi competent offense.

7 minutes ago, griffin727 said:

Don't give the Giants too much credit.

Semi is about right.

Semi = half limp.

37 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

Don't agree at all. Given what's left in NY, Shepard will be moving to the outside. He might actually be more valuable in standard given the fact he could become a huge threat downfield and in the red zone.

I expect Engram and one of the other random WRs they have to predominantly work out of the slot.

Edited by LongBalls

2 hours ago, Chwf3rd said:

Eh agree to disagree on the "super" and "semi" there. But as I said he could surprise me. He has the physical tools and Eli is certainly capable of playing at a very high level at times. I don't see the run game or pass weapons to keep defenses honest outside of Engram though. His rookie year was good but unspectacular, with (if I'm remembering correctly) mediocre at best yards per catch.  Now we're assuming he'll be able to transition to the outside without growing pains? 

Guess we'll see.