NBC Sports Edge Forums

Tyler Glasnow 2017 Outlook

2 minutes ago, mpbaseball22 said:

He's getting ahead of guys but is having trouble putting them away. Good amount of foul balls so far. Inning would look different if he gets that strike 3 call.

If any of you are following along on at bat, his changeups are being classified as two seamers 

Gotta give the Brewers some credit. They strung together some real professional at bats, fouling off some nasty pitches. Zips and Steamer have him as a ~10.5k/9 guy which seems about right. I can see a 2016 Robbie Ray kind of season out of him next year with 200+ k's but a crapload of walks.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does anyone else get a stroke watching him pitch, it is literally the most painful thing to watch when he tries to get guys to chase on pitches way out of the zone.

The talent is there, no doubt, he just needs to throw strikes, he can get away with pitches right down the middle anyways because his velo is always 95-99+ consistently.

Just throw strikes kid and the rest will sort itself out. They don't really ever chase his offspeed stuff because it normally always starts outside and trails outside.

I'm so high on this guy and I've always grabbed him when he gets pulled up and I kept him throughout his beggining of the year disaster stint. So if I'm coming off hard on him it's just me giving constructive criticism.

Edited by austinrbreeden
2 minutes ago, austinrbreeden said:

Does anyone else get a stroke watching him pitch, it is literally the most painful thing to watch when he tries to get guys to chase on pitches way out of the zone.

The talent is there, no doubt, he just needs to throw strikes, he can get away with pitches right down the middle anyways because his velo is always 95-99+ consistently.

Just throw strikes kid and the rest will sort itself out. They don't really ever chase his offspeed stuff because it normally always starts outside and trails outside.

I'm so high on this guy and I've always grabbed him when he gets pulled up and I kept him throughout his beggining of the year disaster stint. So if I'm coming off hard on him it's just me giving constructive criticism.

He learned that from Fransico Liriano while he was still with the Pirates 

4 minutes ago, austinrbreeden said:

This is what I was talking about when I said his AAA walk rate means nothing to me. AAA hitters chase those curves

I started him in a playoff matchup this week in my dynasty league, believing the talent and the AAA improvements.  I'm done with him for the year now.  He either needs to get over mental crap or figure out a way to pitched with the juiced ball.

I don't even get any benefit from this cause both my Brewers (Broxton and Villar) are on the bench.

Edited by AllWrightNow

Going to have to absorb this WHIP bloodbath on 3 teams but I still saw enough upside that makes me want to target him next year. I don't think he'll cost a top 200 pick but he has huge upside. Whether I'll trust him again this season remains to be seen.

That first inning call that Hurdle got tossed after was a disgrace.  It likely would have changed the first inning completely.

With that said, I'm done with Glasnow.  I got sucked in to jumping on the train, but never again.  He knows he can get AAA hitters out, but for some reason he doesn't think he can get major leaguers out.  If he could ever get it through his head to just pitch, then he may turn into something.  For now, I want to stay as far away from the stench of his pitching as I can from now on.

1 hour ago, exaulz said:

He is going to be very VERY good, eventually. Not this year.

I'm not saying he won't be (he has a ton of talent obviously), but he's not really close to reaching that potential.  If he ever nuts up, then maybe.

See what happens in Spring Training, but even then I may not bite.  Tonight's start was pretty discouraging since you can't blame it on anything but him now.  They didn't change anything with how he pitches this time around, and yet the results were as bad as ever.

Edited by KilloWertz
8 hours ago, Low and Away said:

Hard to throw strikes when the zone is less then a ball's diameter. But the walks killed him. Still glad I have him in my rebuild though cause IF he ever reaches his ceiling I got a #1 or#2 off the WW.

The umpire was horrible last night.  No doubt about that, but even though it would have changed things slightly, Glasnow still deserves to take a lot of the credit for the horrible performance.

Edited by KilloWertz

Honestly, it would have changed greatly. You have a young pitcher who lost confidence in what a strike was going to be called. Good results equal more good results hopefully. Walks killed him but I imagine thinking that needing to groove pitches didn't  do much either.

2 hours ago, TheWrightStuff said:

Is this bum out of the rotation?

Tyler Glasnow will pitch in relief in Wednesday's game versus the Pirates.

Advice: Glasnow will get another start sometime this month, but he'll make a relief appearance first. He allowed five runs and walked six over just 2 2/3 innings in a start last week. There's still definite long-term upside here, but he can't be trusted in fantasy leagues right now.

More: Stephen J. Nesbitt on Twitter

(Rotoworld.com)

Obviously won't be "versus the Pirates" (unless you're making a joke about how his walks and such hurt the team) but there you have it

Edited by sinnacle
On 9/14/2017 at 1:17 PM, LJJr said:

"Never trust young unproven pitchers in the fantasy playoffs" 

Repeat to yourself as many times as necessary to make it stick...

Brandon Woodruff says hi and I thank him for winning by semi-playoffs on one teams for me.  Nothing is 100%.

So it depends on the pitcher.  Glasnow has had problems all year long.  He was up earlier and was terrible.  He had trouble with control then.   He still does now.  Great AAA pitcher; not so much a major league pitcher yet.