Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

DeMarco Murray 2017 Season Outlook


Recommended Posts

Coach Mike Mularkey said the Titans' starting running back job will not be opened to competition for 2017.
"DeMarco Murray is the guy," Mularkey stated. "He has shown he is the guy and he will continue to be that guy." Derrick Henry averaged 4.45 yards per carry, scored five touchdowns, and caught 13-of-15 targets in a promising rookie year, but he will open 2017 as a complementary, game-plan-specific back. "Derrick, as you saw, some games he was more involved than others," Mularkey explained. "And a lot is based on how we are going to attack the opponent." Feb 24 - 4:12 PM
 
Coach Mike Mularkey said Wednesday the Titans will continue to view DeMarco Murray as "the guy" in their backfield for 2017.
Mularkey called sophomore Derrick Henry "an important part of our offense," but confirmed Murray will enter 2017 as Tennessee's workhorse. Now 29 years old, Murray averaged 4.39 yards per carry and logged 346 touches last season, although his effectiveness waned down the stretch due to a toe injury. While Henry will remain a threat for short-yardage and complementary carries, Murray's superior all-purpose ability keeps his feature back role secure. Feb 22 - 9:08 PM
 
Mularkey said last year after the Titans drafted Henry that Murray was going to be the featured back, and stayed true to that. It's still coach speak, I know. But he seems to like Murray a lot.
Edited by Ffguy0087
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • 3 months later...

 

Quote

Titans OC Terry Robiskie promised to "find ways to use both" DeMarco Murray and Derrick Henry.

 

 
Kind of non-news, but I find this interesting ... 
 
Everyone is so low on Murray.  They even have him as low as Howard and/or Ajayi.  Granted, those two are bellcows and certainly could finish ahead of Murray, but they're also just sophomores and the QB/WR play at least in Chicago is questionable.
 
But I think of it like this: why aren't people worried about Devonta Freeman?  He has Coleman, we all know it, and yet we still are taking him in the first without question.
 
The Titans are a run first team.  They have a strong (perhaps THE strongest) offensive line, good young QB and now more weapons on the outside.  Even if Henry comes in and starts to get a few more touches per game, is Demarco still not an incredibly safe and reliable investment?  Why should he go so far behind Freeman, if at all?  Atlanta is not a run-first team, the line isn't quite as strong, and Coleman is getting more volume than Henry.
 
Again, just kind of baffled as to why people are so afraid of Henry.  There's plenty of fantasy points to be had from this backfield.
Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't have a problem drafting Murray ahead of Howard, Ajay, and even Freeman, but I would make sure that I handcuffed him with Henry.

There will be teams drafting Henry without Murray to sell to Murray owners or using as a lottery ticket.

 

I'm personally staying away from Freeman this season because of the coaching staff vulturing his TDs to Coleman. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, TX Babe Ruth said:

I wouldn't have a problem drafting Murray ahead of Howard, Ajay, and even Freeman, but I would make sure that I handcuffed him with Henry.

There will be teams drafting Henry without Murray to sell to Murray owners or using as a lottery ticket.

 

I'm personally staying away from Freeman this season because of the coaching staff vulturing his TDs to Coleman. 

 

Do you have a crystal ball? Please tell us what else is going to happen in the future....

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mmcc1029 said:

Do you have a crystal ball? Please tell us what else is going to happen in the future....

Why would I need a crystal ball for stating MY OPINION?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TX Babe Ruth said:

I wouldn't have a problem drafting Murray ahead of Howard, Ajay, and even Freeman, but I would make sure that I handcuffed him with Henry.

There will be teams drafting Henry without Murray to sell to Murray owners or using as a lottery ticket.

 

I'm personally staying away from Freeman this season because of the coaching staff vulturing his TDs to Coleman. 

 

Draft murray before ajayi, howard and freeman?

 

Murray scored 1 4th quarter Td all season.

 

Ajayi howard and freeman are not old and splitting reps with a stud like Derrick Henry.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Draft murray before ajayi, howard and freeman?

 

Murray scored 1 4th quarter Td all season.

 

Ajayi howard and freeman are not old and splitting reps with a stud like Derrick Henry.

Murray's splitting reps with Henry? Who said that?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Draft murray before ajayi, howard and freeman?

 

Murray scored 1 4th quarter Td all season.

 

Ajayi howard and freeman are not old and splitting reps with a stud like Derrick Henry.

 

Tennessee wants to win this year, with how Murray looked last year I don't know why they would go away from him unless he falls off

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, TX Babe Ruth said:

Murray's splitting reps with Henry? Who said that?

 

5 minutes ago, Chwf3rd said:

 

Tennessee wants to win this year, with how Murray looked last year I don't know why they would go away from him unless he falls off

I know right...

I think it could be wishful thinking on poster's behalf

20 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Draft murray before ajayi, howard and freeman?

 

Murray scored 1 4th quarter Td all season.

 

Ajayi howard and freeman are not old and splitting reps with a stud like Derrick Henry.

 Derrick Henry is this you? You should be at OTA's not on Rotoworld. lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Chwf3rd said:

 

Tennessee wants to win this year, with how Murray looked last year I don't know why they would go away from him unless he falls off

 

Murray looked great last year.

 

He had a minor injury on the tail end of last year and so he got less usage.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Chwf3rd said:

 

Tennessee wants to win this year, with how Murray looked last year I don't know why they would go away from him unless he falls off

 

Murray wasnt as great last year as you think.

 

Henry was coming on strong in the 2nd half of the season

 

Murray had 1 4th quarter td last year.

 

D henry is what will get them over the hump and that starts this year.

 

Thats why ajayi and howard are no brainers ovee demarco this year

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

 

Murray wasnt as great last year as you think.

 

Henry was coming on strong in the 2nd half of the season

 

Murray had 1 4th quarter td last year.

 

D henry is what will get them over the hump and that starts this year.

 

Thats why ajayi and howard are no brainers ovee demarco this year

 

Murray led the team in RZ targets; he is the only bellcow RB besides the big-3 (and much more of a receiver than Zeke).

 

Henry will remain on the bench -- where he belongs -- until Murray gets hurt. Period. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

 

Murray wasnt as great last year as you think.

 

Henry was coming on strong in the 2nd half of the season

 

Murray had 1 4th quarter td last year.

 

D henry is what will get them over the hump and that starts this year.

 

Thats why ajayi and howard are no brainers ovee demarco this year

 

1. Over 1500 total yards and 12 TDs is very good to me.

 

2. Murray was playing through a significant toe injury later on in the season and that could very well have contributed to the increased carries for Henry

 

3. Explain the significance of TDs in the 4th quarter to me please

 

I think Henry will get more carries this year but I still think it'll mostly be Murray's backfield.  Even on lets say 25 less carries Murray still has a good chance to be a top 10 RB given the Titans run friendly offense and how well Murray fits the scheme.  I woudn't take any one of Murray, Howard, or Ajayi in the first round (or maybe even early 2nd) but give me the RB with a proven track record over risks of Ajayi or Howard being a one-year wonder.

Edited by Chwf3rd
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, joshua18 said:

 

Murray led the team in RZ targets; he is the only bellcow RB besides the big-3 (and much more of a receiver than Zeke).

 

Henry will remain on the bench -- where he belongs -- until Murray gets hurt. Period. 

 

Not according to the coaches who call the plays.

 

Murray wore down last year and the Titans suffered.

 

1 4th quarter TD is not good enough.

 

Derrick will take at least 150 carries and probably 20 or more receptions from demarco this year 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Chwf3rd said:

 

1. Over 1500 total yards and 12 TDs is very good to me.

 

2. Murray was playing through a significant toe injury later on in the season and that could very well have contributed to the increased carries for Henry

 

3. Explain the significance of TDs in the 4th quarter to me please

 

I think Henry will get more carries this year but I still think it'll mostly be Murray's backfield.  Even on lets say 25 less carries Murray still has a good chance to be a top 10 RB given the Titans run friendly offense and how well Murray fits the scheme.  I woudn't take any one of Murray, Howard, or Ajayi in the first round (or maybe even early 2nd) but give me the RB with a proven track record over risks of Ajayi or Howard being a one-year wonder.

 

The significance of scoring TDs in the 4th quarter? Is that a joke?

 

Demarco is fine, never had a problem with him but he has a more talented backup behind him stealing carries.

 

Ill take ajayi and howard over demarco

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

 

The significance of scoring TDs in the 4th quarter? Is that a joke?

 

Demarco is fine, never had a problem with him but he has a more talented backup behind him stealing carries.

 

Ill take ajayi and howard over demarco

 

By your earlier post I'm assuming that you're inferring that he only scored one first quarter TD because he you think he was wearing down?

 

Seems like a stretch to me.  What would be more helpful is if you broke down his YPC by quarter and showed that it declined in the 4th quarter, more so than it does for other RBs.  Just relying on the TD stat to make that broad inference seems silly to me.

 

Edited by Chwf3rd
Link to post
Share on other sites

Murray was excellent last year and this is a team committed to running the ball and capable of running it well.

 

That said, how certain are you that he's the best RB on his team? Very few teams can support two fantasy starters at RB, and we all know that the load share in Week 1 isn't what matters. 

 

I think Murray's the best RB on the team, but with most guys drafted in his vicinity, I don't have to guess.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chwf3rd said:

 

By your earlier post I'm assuming that you're inferring that he only scored one first quarter TD because he you think he was wearing down?

 

 

By this post i'm assuming that you're inferring 4th quarter and not first quarter like you asked?

 

Yes, demarco wears down as the game gets deeper, he is older, more injury prone and does nit dominate the opponent in the 4th quarter which is where most fantasy stats are accumulated.

 

For the record, demarco is an aging RB behind a top 10 offensive line with the best backup RB in football splitting carries with him this season.

 

No knock on demarco just saying that i would rather have ajayi or howard before demarco.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

 

By this post i'm assuming that you're inferring 4th quarter and not first quarter like you asked?

 

Yes, demarco wears down as the game gets deeper, he is older, more injury prone and does nit dominate the opponent in the 4th quarter which is where most fantasy stats are accumulated.

 

For the record, demarco is an aging RB behind a top 10 offensive line with the best backup RB in football splitting carries with him this season.

 

No knock on demarco just saying that i would rather have ajayi or howard before demarco.

So says the guy who's name is DerrickHenrysCleats...

 

Not disagreeing with you.  I think it's pretty obvious this year Demarco will be in a more even timeshare with Henry than he was last year.  I'm really kind of baffled with anyone who wouldn't draft Devonta, Howard, or Ajayi before Murray.  MFL ADPs right now have Devonta #12, Howard #16, Ajayi #24, and Murray #33.   How can I sign up for the leagues where people are drafting Murray before any of those 3?  Devonta Freeman is a RB1 stud, despite the presence of Tevin Coleman.  And Howard and Ajayi project to be 3 down backs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chwf3rd said:

 

By your earlier post I'm assuming that you're inferring that he only scored one first quarter TD because he you think he was wearing down?

 

Seems like a stretch to me.  What would be more helpful is if you broke down his YPC by quarter and showed that it declined in the 4th quarter, more so than it does for other RBs.  Just relying on the TD stat to make that broad inference seems silly to me.

 

 

Go check out the derrick henry thread.

 

I did all that there. Murray ypc declines by over a yard per carry and he is even worse on the opponents side of the field.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...