NBC Sports Edge Forums

DeMarco Murray 2017 Season Outlook

8 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Thats a lot to cover and i dont have the time to respond but i get where you are coming from.

You dont always have to have great lateral quickness as you call it when you are as strong as a bulldozer running over people.

Quickness is great but i bet a defense would dread to see Henry running downhill to pancake them in the 4th quarter after wearing them out all game.

There are different styles of running and Henry punishes you. He runs good routes, has soft hands and is tough to tackle 1 on 1. 

I do t think i ever saif Henry woukd just phase Murray out completely, although he is talented enough too.

Henry will torpedo Murrays value this year if you are banking on murray to do what he did last year.

Titans rode murray hard and he wore out. 

The titans will either change what they are doing or they will keep doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

If he doesn't unseat Murray, how do you think he'll return 5th round value while splitting carries?

• Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

By grinding out first downs and TDs in the 2nd half of games and specifically the 4th quarter.

Kinda like lagarette blount.

Okay, how many RBs have had top 20 seasons while in a full committee?

46 minutes ago, Chwf3rd said:

Freeman and Coleman were both top 20 last year right? Tennessee has sone firepower on offense too. It could happen.

10 minutes ago, Ffguy0087 said:

Freeman and Coleman were both top 20 last year right? Tennessee has sone firepower on offense too. It could happen.

I mentioned Coleman in an earlier post.  Coleman produced an unrepeatable TD efficiency and also played on one of the most productive offenses in NFL history.  It seems like a bad bet to wager a 5th round pick on Henry doing the same thing.

3 hours ago, Chwf3rd said:

I dont know.

But i know over the final 5 games last year on 10.4 touches per game he averaged 5 ypc and scored 4 TDs.

Im not a numbers cruncher but 50 yards or so per game and almost a TD per game average over a season would make for RB2 numbers i think, especially if you throw a couple receptiins in per game.

2 hours ago, Chwf3rd said:

I mentioned Coleman in an earlier post.  Coleman produced an unrepeatable TD efficiency and also played on one of the most productive offenses in NFL history.  It seems like a bad bet to wager a 5th round pick on Henry doing the same thing.

Not really, especially when compared to the final 5 games of last season.

10.4 attempts per game average, 5ypc, 4 total TDs.

38 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

the games he did get atleast 10 carries he didn't do that well 

5 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Time will tell that i am right and time will also show your regret for not drafting Henry in the 5th round.

For every quote you got calling Demarco the workhorse for 2017 i got one saying how Henry needs more touches this year.

Do i think the coaching staff realizes how good Henry is? I think they do but they are just as stubborn as many posters on this board.

Titans rode Murray to the playoffs last year so the coaching staff must know what they are doing...oh wait, i forgot, they didnt make the playoffs.

Time to change up the strategy and get your most talented RB some quality reps.

They did change things up. They drafted a WR 5th overall. They drafted another talented WR in Taylor. They signed Decker. They addressed the weak point of the offense. 

Now they have a great passing game to pair with the one aspect of the offense that was a glaring success last season: Murray. He looked great. I highly doubt the coaching staff feels that Murray is the reason the Titans missed the playoffs. I mean, how much more did you want Murray to do? Murray faced an average of 8.1 defenders in the box, which was 4th highest in the league, and he still managed a healthy YPC. A more talented receiving core should keep defenses a bit more honest. 

But I really don't know why I'm still arguing with someone whose bias is baked right into his username. 

4 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Ok, does 13 TDs on 160 touches seem sustainable to you?

3 minutes ago, Chwf3rd said:

Ok, does 13 TDs on 160 touches seem sustainable to you?

For a player like Derrick Henry?? ... I wouldn't count him out. 13TD's on 160 Touches seems ridiculous... but I'm willing to make a water bet right now and say... Henry is the type of player than can be Top 5, if given a full workload.

7 minutes ago, ponza88 said:

For a player like Derrick Henry?? ... I wouldn't count him out. 13TD's on 160 Touches seems ridiculous... but I'm willing to make a water bet right now and say... Henry is the type of player than can be Top 5, if given a full workload.

Anybody would say Henry is top 5 with a full workload...

4 minutes ago, Ffguy0087 said:

Anybody would say Henry is top 5 with a full workload...

Okay... so then it's confirmed. You target Henry, especially at his ADP, offseason talks of him being more involved and scheming to fit him in, and DeMarco's injury atm... could mean a much bigger workload. Also good trade bait. If there was a 50/50 timeshare, I could see Henry being a Top 15-20 back.

Not going to find that potential ceiling where he's being drafted.

Edited by ponza88

Murray obviously got the majority of the work overall last year, but second half of the season what was the split between him and Henry? If it was closer to 50/50 I think that could be more indicative of what we see this year, but if Murray was still getting most of the touches down the stretch I see no reason why that wouldn't continue this year 

10 minutes ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

Murray obviously got the majority of the work overall last year, but second half of the season what was the split between him and Henry? If it was closer to 50/50 I think that could be more indicative of what we see this year, but if Murray was still getting most of the touches down the stretch I see no reason why that wouldn't continue this year 

I can see your point. It echos many on here... I just cannot bring myself to even fathom that though.

Look, DeMarco Murray is TALENTED...... T.A.L.E.N.T.E.D! But so is Derrick Henry. I'm not saying he's Murray's level right now but he's very very skilled.. A rare back.. I don't see why they wouldn't utilize and take advantage of Henry and his talent in conjunction with Murray.

There has even been talk of the team going that way this offseason.

10 minutes ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

In the second half of 2016, Murray was on the field during the following percentage of his team's offensive snaps:

95%

77%

99%

88%

81%

79%

84%

54%

During that same stretch of games, with the exception of game 16, Henry was on the field approximately 25% of the time.

Murray is a very good RB (better than Henry), and the CS knows it.

7 hours ago, FinsUp24 said:

They did change things up. They drafted a WR 5th overall. They drafted another talented WR in Taylor. They signed Decker. They addressed the weak point of the offense. 

Now they have a great passing game to pair with the one aspect of the offense that was a glaring success last season: Murray. He looked great. I highly doubt the coaching staff feels that Murray is the reason the Titans missed the playoffs. I mean, how much more did you want Murray to do? Murray faced an average of 8.1 defenders in the box, which was 4th highest in the league, and he still managed a healthy YPC. A more talented receiving core should keep defenses a bit more honest. 

But I really don't know why I'm still arguing with someone whose bias is baked right into his username. 

Great post.

Murray had 1 4h quarter td all season.

20 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Great post.

Murray had 1 4h quarter td all season.

So did Derrick Henry. And a plethora of other RBs. This is really a useless stat, and you throw it around quite a bit as if it holds any water.

Blount led the league with 5 fourth quarter TDs.

David Johnson had 4.

Zeke and Shady had 3.

Bell and Freeman had 2.

Ajayi, Murray, Gordon, Miller had 1.

I'm a believer in Henry and think he'll be one of the best backs in the league if Murray misses games. He's likely getting this backfield to himself in 2018 once Tennessee moves on from Murray. But this 4th quarter TD stuff means absolutely nothing. It has everything to do with gameflow and situational football and nothing to do with the player's talent. If this stat means so much fo you, go ahead and draft Mike Gillislee over DeMarco Murray. The Patriots will likely be running the clock out in a lot of games this year, so there's a good chance Gillislee will score some 4th quarter TDs. If not, please, stop it with this ridiculous stat.

2 minutes ago, mrblonde1984 said:

So did Derrick Henry. And a plethora of other RBs. This is really a useless stat, and you throw it around quite a bit as if it holds any water.

David Johnson had 4.

Zeke and Shady had 3.

Bell and Freeman had 2.

I'm a believer in Henry and think he'll be one of the best backs in the league if Murray misses games. He's likely getting this backfield to himself in 2018 once Tennessee moves on from Murray. But this 4th quarter TD stuff means absolutely nothing. It has everything to do with gameflow and situational football and nothing to do with the player's talent. If this stat means so much fo you, go ahead and draft Mike Gillislee over DeMarco Murray. The Patriots will likely be running the clock out in a lot of games this year, so there's a good chance Gillislee will score some 4th quarter TDs. If not, please, stop it with this ridiculous stat.

Maybe he plays in a league where each successive quarter TDs earn more points, ie 1st quarter TD is only worth 5 pts but 4th quarter TD is worth 20.

39 minutes ago, mrblonde1984 said:

David Johnson had 4.

Zeke and Shady had 3.

Bell and Freeman had 2.

The stat is brought up in reference to Henry getting more playing time at the expense of Murray.

Murray also averages a yard less per carry in the 2nd half.

All stats that show why the Titans should use a big back like Henry in the 4th quarter.

Murray wears down as the game goes on

If the titans add a couple extra wins they are sitting pretty in the playoffs.

So...if the Titans could get some punishing runs from a 6'4 235lb manimal in the 3rd and 4th quarter then they might be able to seal some of those wins that they couldnt last year.

BTW, with all the talk of Henry getting more touches this year at the expense of Murray then you would be better off taking Gillislee instead of Murray when you could have Howard or Ajayi instead.

26 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

The stat is brought up in reference to Henry getting more playing time at the expense of Murray.

Murray also averages a yard less per carry in the 2nd half.

All stats that show why the Titans should use a big back like Henry in the 4th quarter.

Murray wears down as the game goes on

If the titans add a couple extra wins they are sitting pretty in the playoffs.

So...if the Titans could get some punishing runs from a 6'4 235lb manimal in the 3rd and 4th quarter then they might be able to seal some of those wins that they couldnt last year.

BTW, with all the talk of Henry getting more touches this year at the expense of Murray then you would be better off taking Gillislee instead of Murray when you could have Howard or Ajayi instead.

Forgive me, but I swear ffc did a breakdown of Henry's second half and he had a bigger decline than Murray (might have just been about the same). I remember someone blowing that argument out of the water as well.

4 hours ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

"Murray obviously got the majority of the work overall last year, but second half of the season what was the split between him and Henry? If it was closer to 50/50 I think that could be more indicative of what we see this year, but if Murray was still getting most of the touches down the stretch I see no reason why that wouldn't continue this year." 

RT points out how lopsided the snap count was in favor of Murray in the 2nd half of the season. Consider that Derrick Henry had 110 carries on the season, but only 37 through the first seven games. Yeah, so 73 carries over the final nine games. However, he may have been inactive week 9 and got no touches week 11. So, it appears that he missed two games. If we consider games played or usage instead, Henry's carries nearly doubled from his first 7 games, regardless of snap count. If you're of the mind that what went before is what we should expect, then Henry is going to have those 110 carries by week 10 or 11.