NBC Sports Edge Forums

Latavius Murray 2017 Season Outlook

On 6/27/2017 at 10:30 AM, Br0kenB said:

Don't read the blue font in the future. It always has an agenda. In this case I happen to agree with the blue font, but 95% of the time, it's completely awful.

Agreed... The data sets are valuable inputs, but the opinions offered (in blue) are frequently useless and seemingly written by noobs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Source: St. Paul Pioneer Press - Chris Tomasson

Minnesota Vikings RB Latavius Murray (ankle) does not have a specific timetable for when he will return from the Physically Unable to Perform list, although he did say it would be before the regular season starts.

Good news for Murray's owners and bad news for Cook's owners.

I'm sure Cook's impression on the coaches helped Murray with his speedy recovery.

Source: St. Paul Pioneer Press - Chris Tomasson

Minnesota Vikings RB Latavius Murray (ankle) said he has two encouraging individual workouts this week and believes he is close to taking part in practice. Murray has been on the Physically Unable to Perform list since the start of training camp.

He's baccckk off the PUP list and ready for practice this week. Could he overthrow Cook for the starting role?

The only way he takes the starting role is if Cook can't hold onto the ball. He has a challenge ahead. 

ESPN's Field Yates is reporting the Minnesota Vikings have activated running back Latavius Murray (ankle) from the PUP list. (Source: Field Yates on Twitter)

Murray stinks.

Barely 4.0 behind a great line... not going to improve behind Minnesota's line.

Nice that he was able to fall forward for a bunch of scores last year (9 of 12 under 4 yards or less), but that's not really talent... that's the line opening holes.

Edited by Winky
1 hour ago, Winky said:

Murray stinks.

Barely 4.0 behind a great line... not going to improve behind Minnesota's line.

Nice that he was able to fall forward for a bunch of scores last year (9 of 12 under 4 yards or less), but that's not really talent... that's the line opening holes.

I hear you, but the contract they gave him ($8.5M guaranteed) tells us that Minny's personnel department is high on him.  For that money they are going to force snaps on him until he convinces an embarassed GM that he (Murray) isn't even a replacement level player.  Cook will really need to shine to bail the FO out on this one.

I agree to some extent... they did sign Murray to some guaranteed money before they drafted Cook.

They can also move, very comfortably, away from Murray after this season.

Murray will get carries because someone on the roster other than Cook has to.

The same GM drafted Cook and the coach wants to win games by fielding the best talent.

Ultimately, at this point, Murray has to get on (and stay on) the field just to earn the short end work of the committee.

A predictable early season RBBC, then talent takes over.

Murray comes with pass blocking skills, so he does have that going for him, but he still needs to learn the offense.

He's also a foot injury guy coming off another foot injury...

Oh, did I forget to say he stinks?

Edited by Winky
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got Latavius for the minimum bid in my 12-team auction draft.... seems that no one wants this guy.

For a 2015 Pro Bowler, only 27 yrs old, coming off a 12-TD season with over 1000 total yards, I am amazed how under the radar he has fallen. 

Cook is being hyped up to no end -- but if Latavius looks close to 100% in this next preseason game he could potentially be the steal of the year. Watching Cook in preseason he's been OK, but nothing there shows me he's a workhorse type back. 

He's not exciting because we know what he is. I mean, imagine how good Kareem Hunt might be?

He's a running back in a time-share, on a team that should run a lot. He'll also likely get the goal line carries. 

So... 7th round? 8th round? Maybe 9th, alongside guys like Jonathan Stewart and Quizz Rodgers? He's currently going in the 12th. Great value. 

9 hours ago, AirForceOne said:

Just got Latavius for the minimum bid in my 12-team auction draft.... seems that no one wants this guy.

For a 2015 Pro Bowler, only 27 yrs old, coming off a 12-TD season with over 1000 total yards, I am amazed how under the radar he has fallen. 

Cook is being hyped up to no end -- but if Latavius looks close to 100% in this next preseason game he could potentially be the steal of the year. Watching Cook in preseason he's been OK, but nothing there shows me he's a workhorse type back. 

Watch the tape on Cook.. He's a workhorse back.

• 2 weeks later...

Are people sleeping way to hard on Murray? 1000 yards and 12 tds.. But we've seen this type of situation before where a rookie is hyped thru the roof, then come Sunday you start to notice that the rook just "isn't" quite taking the job yet. Cook is their future, but... Are people sleeping to much on Murray atm? 

3 hours ago, Savatage79 said:

Are people sleeping way to hard on Murray? 1000 yards and 12 tds.. But we've seen this type of situation before where a rookie is hyped thru the roof, then come Sunday you start to notice that the rook just "isn't" quite taking the job yet. Cook is their future, but... Are people sleeping to much on Murray atm? 

Agree. Even if Cook is good, Murray could still be relevant if he is healthy. I think he's similar to Jeremy Hill in this regard, and they're so cheap that you lose almost nothing if they bust.

On 8/21/2017 at 3:34 PM, AirForceOne said:

I love these posts. "Hey guys, I just drafted Murray and I think he's going to do better than Cook." Keep telling yourself that.

1 minute ago, ponchsox said:

I love these posts. "Hey guys, I just drafted Murray and I think he's going to do better than Cook." Keep telling yourself that.

Well it's no different than cook owners doing the same, know what I mean? Im not saying one way or another but fantasy is never that straight forward. There are always twists 

Murray's ADP has him right after Chris Carson (an unknown 4th stringer), and right before a defense.

He's a great value there. If Cook struggles or gets hurt, Murray is an RB2 at worst. Even if Cook is great, Murray is still probably a solid RB3/flex for the touchdown upside.  

I know he's not an exciting name, but late in drafts, it can be the boring names that win leagues. 

16 hours ago, ryno1980 said:

Jeremy Hill is actually listed as the starter at the moment. Murray is just going to be a goal line back. 

I assume I'm missing the joke, but i'll still comment anyway and wonder what you are talking about.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...