NBC Sports Edge Forums

Devonta Freeman 2017 Season Outlook

r29262_576x324_16-9.jpg

Just glanced at fantasy pros and he's sitting at 11 which if im at the end of the draft order, I would not mind at all having Freeman/Gordon or Freeman/Murray possibly. If there's one thing you can't knock Freeman for it's consistency,  he had 1056 rushing yards in 15, and 1079 last season and did that with 227 rushes as opposed to 265 in 2015 in which he was at 4.0 average and bumped to a nice 4.8 In 2016. 

His passing game took a little hit at about 100 less yards and about 20 less receptions, but still being over 50 receptions was solid.  3 receiving tds in 15 and 2 in 16, and 11 rushing tds in both 15 and 16. The good thing is even with Coleman in more games he still produced pretty well. My only thing is will Atlanta be an offensive juggernaut the same this year as they were last year? Even if they don't score as much I think Freeman will be a without question good pickup if you're at the end of the order. And he's been pretty solid only missing 1 game in 2 years. Either way they need to get his contract extended and throw him some bones, he's been a solid all around player that's put up some very respectable stats. 

Edited by Savatage79
  • Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Half of his games under 15 carries and only 2 games over 20 is somewhat of a concern for a guy going in the first round. Seems like you are going to be very dependent on receiving work and TDs. The opportunity will be there but taking him over Gordon seems quite crazy to me.

Who said anything about taking him over Gordon? They're listed as Gordon 10th and Freeman 11th. It's a Freeman thread so it's why I put his name first, doesn't mean if I'm sitting there say 8th or 9th pick that I wouldn't snag Gordon. But if it worked out in a league to where I'm at the wrap and somehow Gordon was there with Freeman, that's a tandem id happily take. But Freeman despite lower carries makes up for it in ppr, he has 3000 combined yards and 27 tds in 2 seasons... That's not bad production for lacking some carries. 

I have Freeman in my dynasty league and he was super frustrating this past season.  I'd still probably be comfortable taking him near the end of round one, but would be happier if I could get him as my RB2.  He inconsistency in carries this season was frustrating.

It's funny reading some of these early comments - it's a throwback to ... oh ... I don't know... the Devonta Freeman 2016 thread, perhaps?

The dude was a stud last year.  I'm in a PPR league where he's even more valuable.

11 backs averaged 15 or more carries over the course of 16 games

1 back averaged 20 or more carries over the course of 16 games

The days of true bell cow backs are over. 

2 hours ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

It's funny reading some of these early comments - it's a throwback to ... oh ... I don't know... the Devonta Freeman 2016 thread, perhaps?

The dude was a stud last year.  I'm in a PPR league where he's even more valuable.

11 backs averaged 15 or more carries over the course of 16 games

1 back averaged 20 or more carries over the course of 16 games

The days of true bell cow backs are over. 

All the doubts mentioned in the Freeman thread came true. He had 7 TDs in 4 games. 6 in other 12 combined. 

Coleman clearly cut into his work. 11 backs averaged 15 carries or more. Freeman is not one of those and is currently 5th overall RB being taken on FFC. Last season was insanely efficient for the Falcons. While the offense is still good, it is not going to be as good and the team is going to have a super bowl hangover. 

Holy smokes it's good to be back! I didn't know what to do with myself!

On topic, Freeman is one of the few RBs who I would be totally comfortable with spending an early pick on, no questions. He doesn't get the huge workload some guys get, but he's the number one guy on a good offense with great receving chops. Safe RB1 even with the lack of consistent 20 touch games. He's a stud.

Edited by Ffguy0087

Freeman's ability to break tackles and get into the endzone isn't easily replicated in the NFL. He is one of the few elite RBs that can do that. He is a lock for double digit TDs, provided he remains healthy. Coleman is the injury prone RB on that team, so that also benefits Freeman a bit.

They are in a RBBC though and both have strengths and weaknesses. Overall there is a lot to like about Freeman's game and his nose for the endzone. I'd like him more as an RB2 in standard leagues, but he will still likely go as an RB1.

Yea, that's why If I'm at the wrap and Gordon is gone, Freeman paired with Murray, or Freeman paired with even mike Evans or Jordy perhaps would be a nice foundation. What I like is Freemans durability, I don't think people take that stuff into consideration when knocking durable guys like Freeman 

Edited by Savatage79
4 minutes ago, devaster said:

I'd like him more as an RB2 in standard leagues, but he will still likely go as an RB1.

This guy was the RB1 in 2015, and very safely in the top 12 last season. He will likely go as an RB1 because he is in fact an RB1.

10 hours ago, Savatage79 said:

I would of given anything to have Freeman over Miller tho last season 

Same.
We fell for the low BMI fake workhorse surrounded by bad/mediocre players.
I would take him at about the RB5, the backs going around him are less established and/or may be close to falling off.

2 hours ago, Ffguy0087 said:

This guy was the RB1 in 2015, and very safely in the top 12 last season. He will likely go as an RB1 because he is in fact an RB1.

This is a good point. You can't really feel good about the mass of unestablished RBs around him in the early rankings and unlike McCoy or Murray, there is no reason to believe he will slow down anytime soon. 
You're getting a consistent RB1 option, especially in PPR. There's only 4 or 5 guys you can say that about with 100% confidence.

Edited by CL3VELANDBR0WNS
2 hours ago, Ffguy0087 said:

I love his talent, durability, and nose for the endzone. But I feel like the RBBC is just going to get stronger. I don't know if he will be as valuable next season. Coleman missing time this season is a big reason he finished in the top-12. If Coleman is healthy all year though, that puts Freeman in RB2 discussion, not RB1. It is a gamble. He is borderline due to the RBBC and Coleman's health.

4 minutes ago, devaster said:

I love his talent, durability, and nose for the endzone. But I feel like the RBBC is just going to get stronger. I don't know if he will be as valuable next season. Coleman missing time this season is a big reason he finished in the top-12. If Coleman is healthy all year though, that puts Freeman in RB2 discussion, not RB1. It is a gamble. He is borderline due to the RBBC and Coleman's health.

Now you're just making things up like a lot of the posters here who don't bother fact checking but spout off things that just sound good in theory...

Tevin Coleman missed three games this year. In the games he missed Freeman went 40/161/1 on the ground, and 9/73/1 through the air. Tell me how that three game stretch is largely responsible for his RB1 status???

Devonta Freeman spent nearly a whole season playing side by side with Coleman and actually produced better with him on the field, contrary to your blind thinking. He's the favored back who gets more carries, receptions, and red zone work on a really good offense. Keep sleeping on him tho...

11 hours ago, Gohawks said:

All the doubts mentioned in the Freeman thread came true. He had 7 TDs in 4 games. 6 in other 12 combined. 

Coleman clearly cut into his work. 11 backs averaged 15 carries or more. Freeman is not one of those and is currently 5th overall RB being taken on FFC. Last season was insanely efficient for the Falcons. While the offense is still good, it is not going to be as good and the team is going to have a super bowl hangover. 

Well you're wrong - all the doubts spoke about a lack of touchdowns, rushing yardage and overall significantly lower production from his ADP.  Each & every one of those doubts was 100% wrong.  The guy had 1,500 yards from scrimmage and 13 touchdowns.  In the day and age of there being very few high-end RB options, you'd take that every single day.

David Johnson had 12 of his 20 touchdowns in 5 games and 8 others in 11 games combined.  You might as well lower him significantly as a result, right?

The year prior when he was one of the top fantasy backs (noteworthy is that he was, again, one of the top fantasy backs this year), was that also a result of the Falcons offense just being "insanely efficient"?

Edited by IlliniGuy76

:lol:  DAMN, class is in session and someone just gave a lesson.

No doubt Freeman has earned a #1 status but he is probably the most vulnerable of the consensus top 6-8 RB's. That's up in the air too with a New OC and play caller. Could be less rbbc and ride your horse on one hand but on the other they could more or less call it an open competition going into camp.  It's not out of the question that Coleman could outperform Devonta , however if Freeman gets paid he definitely will be on the field a fair amount even if he stinks. Not good for a coach or anyone to embarrass the boss.

14 hours ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

Well you're wrong - all the doubts spoke about a lack of touchdowns, rushing yardage and overall significantly lower production from his ADP.  Each & every one of those doubts was 100% wrong.  The guy had 1,500 yards from scrimmage and 13 touchdowns.  In the day and age of there being very few high-end RB options, you'd take that every single day.

David Johnson had 12 of his 20 touchdowns in 5 games and 8 others in 11 games combined.  You might as well lower him significantly as a result, right?

The year prior when he was one of the top fantasy backs (noteworthy is that he was, again, one of the top fantasy backs this year), was that also a result of the Falcons offense just being "insanely efficient"?

I'm not wrong. The majority of the doubt was a RBBC meaning Coleman would be cutting into his production. Which he did and did so well. 

It's not the same thing. Prior to that Freeman was struggling to break 10 points in standard on a regular basis. Johnson never had that problem.

The year prior he had the same inconsistency problems. 

I guess we all need to look up the meaning of the word "production" then. Perhaps you're talking more about "opportunity" . 

If you are saying he doesn't match up to David Johnson that's another whole argument but then only 2-3 backs do.

Early Feb write up from McClure/Espn:  

At a news conference on Tuesday, Falcons coach Dan Quinn said the team's offensive system won't change with Sarkisian at the helm.

"We love the way that we attack, and it took a lot of work to put that system in place," Quinn said. "Along with Thomas [Dimitroff, the Falcons' general manager], we have a real emphasis now on how we can fit guys into that system. It's very important that we stay consistent with that."

Quinn also praised Sarkisian's willingness to take risks on offense.

"I felt, No. 1, what an aggressive playcaller he's been through the years," Quinn said. "He has a real familiarity from the wide zone scheme, the keepers that are such a big part of what we do."

You guys believe in Sarkisian?  I do like Freeman a  good bit and i do expect him to be productive in 2017.  That being said, i think Shanny and Matt Ryan had something really special working which really elevated this offense the past two years.  Can we honestly assume Sark can step right in and keep that train rolling the right direction given his minimal experience at the pro level at the position?  Of course he would be completely lost to not give a healthy work load to Freeman, but i also wonder if Coleman really puts in some heavy work loads of his own. We have yet to see Coleman play a full season but his carries and targets are on the rise.  I just start to wonder who Sark gets married to early on from this backfield, or if it even matters?

i will hang up a listen

2 hours ago, wonderbread said:

Let the doubters doubt. I got Freeman in the 3rd last year because of the doubters. It will be interesting to hear the off/preseason coach speak related to Coleman/Freeman. Maybe his ADP will slip again.

Third round is awesome value. 

First round?   That's a different story.

28 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Third round is awesome value. 

First round?   That's a different story.

Read my lips.....he won't fall to the third round.  You guys kill me when you write about a stud falling in the 3rd round.

Won't happen unless their is an injury or something unforeseen that happens to dampen his value.

5 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

Read my lips.....he won't fall to the third round.  You guys kill me when you write about a stud falling in the 3rd round.

Won't happen unless their is an injury or something unforeseen that happens to dampen his value.

That's not the conversation.  It was that he fell to the third last year in one guy's draft.