NBC Sports Edge Forums

Devonta Freeman 2017 Season Outlook

In a week where I am fighting for a playoff spot, I am sitting Devonta Freeman...

I HATE this matchup, coming off a 3rd concussion, against one of the best run defense teams.

Even if Freeman scores a TD, I feel like the odds of him posting over 60-70 rushing yards aren't good.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Masked Kid said:

What do owners think of the matchup tonight? Expectations?

I think he can run for over 100 yards. Although I'm hoping for more, I would be happy with:

85 rushing yards, TD

3 receptions, 23 yards

Im really hoping for a solid game and no more concussions. Im a nervous wreck having 3 guys starting in the playoffs on a Thursday night, 2 of which are on a Matt Ryan-led offense and have already been underachievers all year.

35 minutes ago, Masked Kid said:

What do owners think of the matchup tonight? Expectations?

Hate that it's TNF and everyone is on short rest... that said its ATL and NO and could be a shootout.  Both offenses have been playing well in their last 3 so that bodes well.  Vegas has the ou set at 54.5.  

NO has allowed 4.5+ yds per rush (4th most in the league) & Free was 12 for 74 last week, a healthy 6+ ypc vs the leagues best run D.  Gotta think ATL will want to let Free eat too to get him going for the stretch.  Helps that Lattimore is expected to be back and will be covering Julio.  They might have to go to Free/TC more.

TC vulturing around the goalline will probably be a thing but maybe we get lucky and he rips one off from 30+.

I'm thinking floor is 100 combo yds and 3 rec.

and ceiling somewhere around  175 combo yds 6 rec and 2 scores.

Edited by ragrag
58 minutes ago, ragrag said:

Hate that it's TNF and everyone is on short rest... that said its ATL and NO and could be a shootout.  Both offenses have been playing well in their last 3 so that bodes well.  Vegas has the ou set at 54.5.  

NO has allowed 4.5+ yds per rush (4th most in the league) & Free was 12 for 74 last week, a healthy 6+ ypc vs the leagues best run D.  Gotta think ATL will want to let Free eat too to get him going for the stretch.  Helps that Lattimore is expected to be back and will be covering Julio.  They might have to go to Free/TC more.

TC vulturing around the goalline will probably be a thing but maybe we get lucky and he rips one off from 30+.

I'm thinking floor is 100 combo yds and 3 rec.

and ceiling somewhere around  175 combo yds 6 rec and 2 scores.

He's only gone for 100+ total yards twice this season. Is that a realistic floor? Seems like 70 all purpose seems more fitting as a floor.

Just now, Dark Kn19ht said:

He's only gone for 100+ total yards twice this season. Is that a realistic floor? Seems like 70 all purpose seems more fitting as a floor.

Could be a little on the high side but I think around 100 in this match-up is a pretty safe floor.  Crawley should be able to shut down Sanu and if Lattimore is close to 100% he's going to play nearly even w/ Julio (who's also dinged up).  Ryan is going to have to lean on pass catching out of the backfield a little more than usual.

I'm hoping for 100+ and a score at least.

27 minutes ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

His floor has been established as 3 yards and a head injury.

I know I wasn't the only one to stand up and clap when he walked into the endzone. In a frustrating season, this week I was thankful to get something out of my first round pick. Hope other Freeman owners made it to the playoffs.

All he needs is the receptions to lift his floor and upside and he would be an elite RB1 again. Matt Ryan also seemed to refuse to check down to him open in the flat tonight. Basically, it's too bad Kyle Shanahan is gone but at least Freeman got 20+ carry usage tonight and should be a mid-range RB1 for the fantasy playoffs. TB and NO again to close the season.

Edited by the Ghost of Joe Webb
1 hour ago, the Ghost of Joe Webb said:

I know I wasn't the only one to stand up and clap when he walked into the endzone. In a frustrating season, this week I was thankful to get something out of my first round pick. Hope other Freeman owners made it to the playoffs.

All he needs is the receptions to lift his floor and upside and he would be an elite RB1 again. Matt Ryan also seemed to refuse to check down to him open in the flat tonight. Basically, it's too bad Kyle Shanahan is gone but at least Freeman got 20+ carry usage tonight and should be a mid-range RB1 for the fantasy playoffs. TB and NO again to close the season.

From what I could tell the NO edge rushers were getting a ton of penetration and making passes into the flats risky. A few designed screens would be fantastic for him tho.  Love the TB matchup next week. 

Good matchup on tap for Freeman this Monday.  The Bucs give up the 7th most FPts to the RB position already and might be without DT Gerald McCoy who reportedly tore his bicep last week.

Edited by ragrag