NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Adrian Peterson 2017 Season Outlook

FlashGordon401

1 minute ago, fletch44 said:

His opinion is awful along with about 29 other NFL GMs ?

lmfao thanks for the back up. Mavis has to be related to AP possibly. Like I said if you're expecting anything more than 12-15 carries for 50-60 yards a game you're naive. Multiple scouts and GM's prior to the season said he was toast that's why it was so perplexing that the Saints would sign him.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will probably be in the minority here, which I'm totally fine with, but I think he'll end up settling in as a RB2/flex. 

The blocking is not good and it may take him some time to get acclimated to a new team/playbook, but I think he'll get ~15 carries a game before long. That's really all it would take in this day and age to be a viable starting RB for fantasy purposes.

AP was never the type of back that would rip off 5+ yards on carry after carry. He would get stuffed at the line, pick up 2, pick up 3, and then eventually he'd pop a long one. He needs an offense that commits to feeding him. As much as the Cardinals figure to remain pass-first, they must recognize they need to strike a better balance, and giving the ball to someone who can actually break one every once in a while regardless of the blocking seems like a good idea. 

1 minute ago, mjb03003 said:

I will probably be in the minority here, which I'm totally fine with, but I think he'll end up settling in as a RB2/flex. 

The blocking is not good and it may take him some time to get acclimated to a new team/playbook, but I think he'll get ~15 carries a game before long. That's really all it would take in this day and age to be a viable starting RB for fantasy purposes.

AP was never the type of back that would rip off 5+ yards on carry after carry. He would get stuffed at the line, pick up 2, pick up 3, and then eventually he'd pop a long one. He needs an offense that commits to feeding him. As much as the Cardinals figure to remain pass-first, they must recognize they need to strike a better balance, and giving the ball to someone who can actually break one every once in a while regardless of the blocking seems like a good idea. 

chris johnson has had 16, 16, 11 touches - and he's been useless. AP will be too. 

I will be one of the fools picking up AP tonight. Not sure how anyone can really judge where AP is at right now. We haven't truly seen him play since his 1,400 yard season. We can speculate based on the circumstances, but that's about it. Yeah he's no spring chicken anymore, but he's Adrian Peterson people. God knows he will be playing with a chip on his shoulder. I imagine AZ will run him into the ground. Yeah, he may end up sucking, but if he is still any ounce of what he used to be, he is worth picking up IMO to see what happens. DJ not expected to return until around Christmas, which is pretty much week 16. AZ has a pretty nice schedule against the run ROS. 

5 minutes ago, mjb03003 said:

But this is exactly why AP is washed up as a player. The big ones are fewer and further apart these days. You are delusional. He use to break a big one every game or 2. Now its every season or 2.

Edited by AJJones

1 minute ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

chris johnson has had 16, 16, 11 touches - and he's been useless. AP will be too. 

I think Chris Johnson has shown that he has considerably less in the tank than AP in recent years. 

I could certainly end up being wrong, but I think it's very little wagered and potentially quite a bit gained. RB is a mess these days...

Just now, mjb03003 said:

I think Chris Johnson has shown that he has considerably less in the tank than AP in recent years. 

I could certainly end up being wrong, but I think it's very little wagered and potentially quite a bit gained. RB is a mess these days...

he's averaged 1.9 and 3 ypc the last 2 seasons... good luck

AP's success depends primarily on the offense he runs. Minnesota always played under center and he had success. In September of 2015 when they started using shotgun for Bridgewater, he was terrible. They stopped, and he could run it again. 

Arizona will run spread. There's a 100% chance he'll suck. Don't even bother adding him. 

1 minute ago, mjb03003 said:

Based on what evidence? 

2017 New Orleans Saints 4 27 6.8 81 3.0 20.2 0 11 5 18.5 0 0 0

2016 Minnesota Vikings 3 37 12.3 72 1.9 24.0 0 13 3 8.1 0 0 1

2015 Minnesota Vikings 16 327 20.4 1,485 4.5 92.8 11 80T 71 21.7 10 4 6

2014 Minnesota Vikings 1 21 21.0 75 3.6 75.0 0 17 3 14.3 0 0 0

VS

2017 Arizona Cardinals 4 45 11.2 114 2.5 28.5 0 11 3 6.7 0 0 0

2016 Arizona Cardinals 4 25 6.2 95 3.8 23.8 1 18 5 20.0 0 0 0

2015 Arizona Cardinals 11 196 17.8 814 4.2 74.0 3 62 31 15.8 6 2 2

2014 New York Jets 16 155 9.7 663 4.3 41.4 1 47 21 13.5 4 1 1

11 minutes ago, mjb03003 said:

Then I'm in the minority too.

Bad O-line or not, AZ needs a RB they can feed in the worst way.  AP is dying to be fed in the worst way.  Old or not, he's at his best (whatever that may be now) when he believes (right or wrong) that he's the man.  

Sure, this vulnerable marriage may crash and burn, but out of the gate, both the player and the team are going to experience a major jolt of energy.  Personally, I am very interested in this particular opportunity, minority or not.

Edited by Rolling Thunder

So who is going all in on AP with their FAAB? I'm not really convinced he has a ton left in the tank but if they end up featuring him as their RB he could be RB2 just on volume. He will losing passing down to Ellington but if he's getting 15-20 carries + GL even a brokedown AP is worth something

1 minute ago, owenmills said:

So who is going all in on AP with their FAAB? I'm not really convinced he has a ton left in the tank but if they end up featuring him as their RB he could be RB2 just on volume. He will losing passing down to Ellington but if he's getting 15-20 carries + GL even a brokedown AP is worth something

There is 0 chance he gets you 60-80 yards per game. You're expecting RB2 volume when there's no reason to expect it, and he'll get under 4 yards per carry. 

13 minutes ago, mjb03003 said:

Because I said I think he can be a RB2/flex? Geez. Okay then...

No, because you think he still going to break big ones without a good o-line and a power running game splitting carries with Chris Johnson. 

He may very well end up an RB2/Flex -- if he gets a ton of volume. Heck, maybe he will break a few 60 yard runs and I will wish I had him on my team.

Edited by AJJones

I just acquire him cheap a minute after news broke.

He's as good as a dart throw can get IMO. The line sucks BUT Palmer is clearly moving the ball. ARI leads the league in RZ passing attempts so I expect AP to get a healthy amount of work there. He fits the scheme and the schedule is pretty awesome for running moving forward.

Could be a sneaky producer.

Whats with all the hostility. There is no certainty in regards with anything, But I would expect similar production to what Frank Gore is doing now not really worth much of anything but to each his own. 12 carries for 45-60 yards tops opposed to his 5 carries in NO for 30 yards.. and yes maybe some weeks he adds a TD with those 45-60 yards but nothing more than a desperation Flex play with limited upside. Good luck though.

Maybe this could turn into another Randy Moss type situation. Moss was great with the Vikings, then went to the Raiders and not so good, then went to the Patriots and broke the TD reception single season record.  AP great with the Vikings, not so good with the Saints, Cardinals tbd.....