NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Adrian Peterson 2017 Season Outlook

FlashGordon401

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I'm seeing from the highlights:

Line looks ok. Nothing special here (which is still an improvement, but I didn't think the line mattered that much for AP, as I said before)

Look at the sets they're running though. Almost all of those highlights come from two-wide, from big, from tight (with Fitz blocking, who blocks 10 times better than Evan Engram) sets. It looks like Arizona, like any smart team would do, changed their offense to maximize their strengths. Those are the types of sets that Peterson needs to get yards on the ground. As smart as Arians is, I didn't expect that he or most any coach in the NFL would completely change their offense in 5 days to get the most out of his players. It appears that's exactly what happened. 

20 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

What I'm seeing from the highlights:

Line looks ok. Nothing special here (which is still an improvement, but I didn't think the line mattered that much for AP, as I said before)

Look at the sets they're running though. Almost all of those highlights come from two-wide, from big, from tight (with Fitz blocking, who blocks 10 times better than Evan Engram) sets. It looks like Arizona, like any smart team would do, changed their offense to maximize their strengths. Those are the types of sets that Peterson needs to get yards on the ground. As smart as Arians is, I didn't expect that he or most any coach in the NFL would completely change their offense in 5 days to get the most out of his players. It appears that's exactly what happened. 

Ari is a power run scheme from under center...

Fitz speaking about Peterson:

". . . having him here, his leadership, his demeanor in the huddle, I think it's reinvigorating everybody."

In war and the NFL, morale counts.  Sometimes a player brings more than an aging skill set.  AP to AZ was an obvious morale booster for both parties.  Maybe it happened so suddenly that the media and FF community did not have a chance to process it, but I was surprised it wasn't touted as one of the bigger WW opportunities all season when it came down. 

Just watched AD's highlights from the Week 6 win v. Tampa.  It is really great to see him doing so well.  I missed the train.

Did Tampa change their scheme to limit Peterson in the second half?  Fitzmagic almost led a wild comeback, it seems.

source.gif

Nine in the box against one of the better run defenses, the Cardinals line holds the line of scrimmage and Peterson finds a way to maze through the trees for eight.  Hopefully they can keep this level of play up, but plays like this should build a lot of confidence in the team's belief that they can sustain a run game.

For all the people bashing NO line and lack of passing threat you must've missed the stats that Kamara and Ingram were piling up with the same sorry oline-men. As for lack of a passing threat have you heard of a guy named "Drew Brees" ? Enough with apologies&excuses, AP was just a bad fit in NO . The Saints only rushed for two-hundred yards with that pitiful line yesterday.

Watching the highlights of every Peterson run he was afforded ample room to run as it appeared the TB game plan was to sit back and play against the vertical deepball  that has been the Carson Palmer staple in Arizona. Very little penetration into the backfield by LB's or run blitzing safeties.

NFL teams adjust on the fly very quickly. Probably on a short practice week the Bucs didn't expect a heavy dose of AP. Arians is a different cat as a head coach. He'll ride a stud horse into the ground if that horse is running well at all. Then take his deep shots off play action. I expect from now on the opposing defenses will game plan to attack the run game and get into the backfield to disrupt the blocking. Also as mentioned before AP has never been known as a good blocker so blitzing exposes his weakness in pass protection and Carson to getting blown up . Watching the tape you see soft seven men in the box a lot from TB allowing AP time to survey and do his jump cuts.

Admittedly he looked a lot more spry than he did in Minn or NO the last two years . He was painfully either indecisive or slow reacting to the Saints blocking scheme. I think he settles into somewhere in between yesterday and his pitiful last two years. He should get the volume that CJ was getting and produce more but I'm not expecting over a 4.0 ypa avg the rest of the way. Not with the Cardinals line.

And no , he was not good on his touches in New Orleans. That's why he's not there anymore. It was a divorce that was in the best interest of all parties.

9 hours ago, CharlesCC2 said:

source.gif

Nine in the box against one of the better run defenses, the Cardinals line holds the line of scrimmage and Peterson finds a way to maze through the trees for eight.  Hopefully they can keep this level of play up, but plays like this should build a lot of confidence in the team's belief that they can sustain a run game.

One of the better run defenses cause TB haven't faced too many legit run offenses lol....But AD looked good. Maybe this will open up coverage for John brown since Fitz is obv the guy to base your game plan around. 34 and still dominating

Edited by Zekepeak86

9 hours ago, howlin' 2 said:

For all the people bashing NO line and lack of passing threat you must've missed the stats that Kamara and Ingram were piling up with the same sorry oline-men. As for lack of a passing threat have you heard of a guy named "Drew Brees" ? Enough with apologies&excuses, AP was just a bad fit in NO . The Saints only rushed for two-hundred yards with that pitiful line yesterday.

Watching the highlights of every Peterson run he was afforded ample room to run as it appeared the TB game plan was to sit back and play against the vertical deepball  that has been the Carson Palmer staple in Arizona. Very little penetration into the backfield by LB's or run blitzing safeties.

NFL teams adjust on the fly very quickly. Probably on a short practice week the Bucs didn't expect a heavy dose of AP. Arians is a different cat as a head coach. He'll ride a stud horse into the ground if that horse is running well at all. Then take his deep shots off play action. I expect from now on the opposing defenses will game plan to attack the run game and get into the backfield to disrupt the blocking. Also as mentioned before AP has never been known as a good blocker so blitzing exposes his weakness in pass protection and Carson to getting blown up . Watching the tape you see soft seven men in the box a lot from TB allowing AP time to survey and do his jump cuts.

Admittedly he looked a lot more spry than he did in Minn or NO the last two years . He was painfully either indecisive or slow reacting to the Saints blocking scheme. I think he settles into somewhere in between yesterday and his pitiful last two years. He should get the volume that CJ was getting and produce more but I'm not expecting over a 4.0 ypa avg the rest of the way. Not with the Cardinals line.

And no , he was not good on his touches in New Orleans. That's why he's not there anymore. It was a divorce that was in the best interest of all parties.

lol. Give it up. Who said NO had no passing threat? No one. NO was not a good fit schematically and they didn't give him enough touches. He was productive on the touches he got generating most of the yardage after contact all on his own. Stop posting nonsense.

1 hour ago, devaster said:

lol. Give it up. Who said NO had no passing threat? No one. NO was not a good fit schematically and they didn't give him enough touches. He was productive on the touches he got generating most of the yardage after contact all on his own. Stop posting nonsense.

AP apologists pointed towards Palmer being a threat was a major factor in his success.I was reminding them that he just left probably the most prolific passer of the last ten years arguably. Definitely ahead of Carson Palmer.

27 carries for 81 yards @ 3.0 avg = Productive ??? Not in my book

Must be his 2 receptions he turned into 4yds ... once again not productive in my book.

So if you want to talk about posting nonsense you can start there. Both Ingram and Kamara were FAR more productive with the same unit. Could it be that the defense keyed in more on AP as a runner due to his lack of a threat in the passing game ? Sure

Arians caught TB off guard as has been mentioned previously by myself and others. Arizona went from almost exclusively a deep threat offense to a load up the box with your bigs and bring your two best blocking WR's in for the power running game.

Now the opposing defenses will game plan against that. We will see over the long haul if AP can keep doing what he did for one week. Being given a workhorse load is in his favor compared to NO rbbc but he wasn't good at the end in Minnesota either. (mostly due to line problems but Ariz isn't a great one either)

11 minutes ago, howlin' 2 said:

AP apologists pointed towards Palmer being a threat was a major factor in his success.I was reminding them that he just left probably the most prolific passer of the last ten years arguably. Definitely ahead of Carson Palmer.

27 carries for 81 yards @ 3.0 avg = Productive ??? Not in my book

Must be his 2 receptions he turned into 4yds ... once again not productive in my book.

So if you want to talk about posting nonsense you can start there. Both Ingram and Kamara were FAR more productive with the same unit. Could it be that the defense keyed in more on AP as a runner due to his lack of a threat in the passing game ? Sure

Arians caught TB off guard as has been mentioned previously by myself and others. Arizona went from almost exclusively a deep threat offense to a load up the box with your bigs and bring your two best blocking WR's in for the power running game.

Now the opposing defenses will game plan against that. We will see over the long haul if AP can keep doing what he did for one week. Being given a workhorse load is in his favor compared to NO rbbc but he wasn't good at the end in Minnesota either. (mostly due to line problems but Ariz isn't a great one either)

There's many years of track record showing that Peterson doesn't do as well getting handoffs out of the shotgun. Saints run a TON of shotgun. 

Guess who runs very little shotgun? The Cardinals.

New Orleans was not a good fit for Peterson based on the offense they run.

Arizona is a good fit for Peterson based on the offense they run. 

Not sure what is so hard about this. 

1 hour ago, mjb03003 said:

There's many years of track record showing that Peterson doesn't do as well getting handoffs out of the shotgun. Saints run a TON of shotgun. 

Guess who runs very little shotgun? The Cardinals.

New Orleans was not a good fit for Peterson based on the offense they run.

Arizona is a good fit for Peterson based on the offense they run. 

Not sure what is so hard about this. 

Nothing, but stating Peterson was good in NO is a falsehood. Crediting Carson  passing threat as a reason is a falsehood also. I said it when AP went to Saints it was the wrong spot.

But I don't think AP is going to return to anywhere near his former glory days behind the Ariz line either. He had his catch them off guard day. AP will benefit Carson more than the other way around. Defenses didn't have to commit to stopping the run at all after DJ went down. Now they will. Tampa was playing safeties 15-20 yds off the line and setting LB's wide. Look for more run zone blitzing to get into the backfield. Tampa rarely ever had anyone shooting gaps to disrupt run game timing. AP just sat back and picked his holes.Don't expect that to continue.

2 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Why not? You said we should not expect it to continue so why not? Just cause you don't believe a 32 year old RB can? 

Arizona's line isn't a dominant line. Even DJ 's running avg was down the 2nd half of last year and nobody else has run for much of an avg behind them. The Lions stuffed DJ the 3+ qtrs he played against them. Plus to my eye AP doesn't possess the quickness he once had to go with his power. Maybe I'll be proven wrong but I don't see him as anything more than a middling RB that offers next to nothing in the passing game. But I do think he is a major upgrade for the Cardinals and Carson in terms of dictating the types of alignments the defense will have to play vs CJ or Ellington or Kerwyn

On 10/10/2017 at 12:13 PM, Knicks2689 said:

You didn't miss out on anything.. Envision a bunch of 14 carry 45-60 yard games and nothing else. He still sucks and hes still done.

I imagine your other 3,371 posts are just as useless as this one.

Maybe I'm way off here, but I personally wouldn't expect last week's performance to be a common occurrence. Why? The dude has a LOT of miles on those tires of his. Talented of course, but that isn't the question at hand.

Anyone else think we'll see a lot more of these great games from him moving forward?

3 hours ago, lavaman said:

Maybe I'm way off here, but I personally wouldn't expect last week's performance to be a common occurrence. Why? The dude has a LOT of miles on those tires of his. Talented of course, but that isn't the question at hand.

Anyone else think we'll see a lot more of these great games from him moving forward?

I do.

20 minutes ago, HamMach1 said:

AP is old, but clearly showed signs of life. Cardinals love to abuse their RBs, so I'd say all aboard. I'm on board. Tired of using CJ and Murray, damn committees. 

Brady is old too, so is Fitz and so is...well, you get the point. Age is a number, what you see is what matters, and he clearly did not look done. I dont care what he does next year or 2 years from now, I care about this week vs the Rams and the next few week...and how many people you taking over him in daily? Not many.