NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Adrian Peterson 2017 Season Outlook

FlashGordon401

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cardinals OC Harold Goodwin said the plan is to "feed the beast" using Adrian Peterson on the ground Week 9 against the 49ers.

'"It’s like an old stove," Goodwin said. "The more wood you put in it, the hotter it gets. We’ve just got to make sure we feed him the ball so he can get comfortable." Peterson replied, "I'm all about that." With Carson Palmer (arm) out for at least a month, the Cardinals will almost certainly rely on Peterson and the run game to minimize Drew Stanton's effect on the game. Against San Fran, it should be doable since the Niners aren't capable of blowing Arizona out. Peterson should be considered a lock for 20-plus carries Sunday as a high-end RB2.'

Hoping for a big game so I can try and sell him before next weekend's trade deadline. The matchup and the scenario couldn't get any better.

20 hours ago, Asian Sensation said:

Playing against the worst run defense this week. Stanton had an extra week to prepare. Predictions? 

Worst by what metric?  I believe they are top 5 in ypc.  When you face 35 runs a game versus say 18 (e.g., Philly) because your offense puts you in that spot, total yards allowed can be deceiving. 

Only Dallas had significant success against the Niner front 7.  Even with Foster missing, Philly couldn't feast on the ground, and they have a passing game to balance things.

Losing Ward and Thomas don't help, but with Foster back, I'll wager SF won't be any easy group to run on this week.  I bet we're looking at an ugly game with a baseball score, where no one does much.  If you're starting Peterson (I am), better hope for a PI call in the endzone.

Hyde OTOH may benefit in PPR from lots of check downs and, yes, a possible PI call too.

18 minutes ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

He's going to continue to get a ton of work, but obviously the matchup won't ever be as good as today. Trade deadline in most leagues is next weekend... is he a sell or a hold?

I doubt you'll get any value for him.  Should be an RB2 ros.  Not bad for a waiver pickup.

1 hour ago, Rolling Thunder said:

When was the last time any RB got 37 carries??  Amazing.

Howard had a boatload vs Baltimore a few weeks ago, but, yeah ... your point is spot on, and those type of games are definitely anomalies in the current NFL.   old man AP making me eat my words, congrats to those that held the faith, this is quite a turnaround from where i expected him to be a couple months ago.

gettin' the boot outta N'Awlins pumped up three RBs, rather than compromising them - WIN(AP)/WIN(Ingram)/WIN(Kamara). 

Redonkulous amount of work. Even with a 40% regression in carries he's still getting enough to produce. 

No doubt there's a harsh come down game coming against the Hawks next week, but it's still great to see him pounding it. Still plenty of juice in those legs.

30 minutes ago, RustyMiller said:

So where does this usage put him for Thursday?

I know he's a freak of nature, but 37 carries, a game on Thursday against a Seattle D.

Might be a sit for me.

Probably won't be much room to run, but I could see him getting another 25 carries against Seattle. All he needs is a TD opportunity. AD is a freak when it comes to conditioning.

9 minutes ago, devaster said:

Probably won't be much room to run, but I could see him getting another 25 carries against Seattle. All he needs is a TD opportunity. AD is a freak when it comes to conditioning.

Rob Kelley fell forward for two TDs up there yesterday (14/18 on the ground, but, still) 

Rob freakin' Kelley.