NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jamaal Charles 2017 Season Outlook

37 minutes ago, IHateFFButCantStop said:

Im a big Jamaal Charles guy but expectations of passing CJA just simply by being healthy are a bit crazy in my mind.

The guy basically hasn't played in a real game since week 5 or 6 of 2015 and now we're all expecting him to go for 20 carries a game and be a workhorse? Broncos would be a fool to push him like crazy and CJA is still a decent back in general.

When was the last time cja had 20 carries in a game?

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

When was the last time cja had 20 carries in a game?

Last season probably. Are you really going to argue by choosing Jamaal Charles in any durability comparison? In early 2015 before any of his 2 major knee surgeries he had 20 or more carries only once, with dating back to 2014 he had only 3 games of 20 or more carries.

I hope he does well but 3 years older and 2 major knee injuries later im not assuming or banking on Jamaal Charles being a workhorse.

Edited by IHateFFButCantStop
11 minutes ago, IHateFFButCantStop said:

Last season probably. Are you really going to argue by choosing Jamaal Charles in any durability comparison? In early 2015 before any of his 2 major knee surgeries he had 20 or more carries only once, with dating back to 2014 he had only 3 games of 20 or more carries.

I hope he does well but 3 years older and 2 major knee injuries later im not assuming or banking on Jamaal Charles being a workhorse.

Do whatever you want. CJA missed half the season last year himself and hardly gets over 20 carries a game.

Provided they are healthy cja cant hold jamaal charles jock strap.

Jamaal doesnt need 20 carries a game.

10-12 carries feels right with 6-8 receptions.

4 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Do whatever you want. CJA missed half the season last year himself and hardly gets over 20 carries a game.

Provided they are healthy cja cant hold jamaal charles jock strap.

Jamaal doesnt need 20 carries a game.

10-12 carries feels right with 6-8 receptions.

I could see this a few games in being the most usage he'd get.

Just now, IHateFFButCantStop said:

I could see this a few games in being the most usage he'd get.

And i could see it happening more often than not.

Cja is a ploddee compared to Charles.

After 1 preseason game almost everyone declared Charles the 1b to cja 1a. Thats about a 50/50 split and i believe it.

Until i see otherwise jamaal is the better value at his adp and he just torpedoed cja's adp value.

4 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

And i could see it happening more often than not.

Cja is a ploddee compared to Charles.

After 1 preseason game almost everyone declared Charles the 1b to cja 1a. Thats about a 50/50 split and i believe it.

Until i see otherwise jamaal is the better value at his adp and he just torpedoed cja's adp value.

Stealing this from ESPN's Matthew Berry....

• Player A averaged 4.76 yards per carry (2.05 yards after first contact), ran for 11 touchdowns and gained five-plus yards on 36.2 percent of his carries.

• Player B averaged 4.74 yards per carry (2.08 yards after first contact), ran for 13 touchdowns and gained five-plus yards on 37.2 percent of his carries.

Player B is C.J. Anderson. Player A? Le'Veon Bell.

Those were the only two seasons that we have seen Anderson play at least half of the season. Anderson was RB14 during that stretch, and we've seen nothing to suggest that he can't sustain that level of production when given the lead role (12 rushing touchdowns and 4.7 yards per carry in his 11 career regular-season games with 15-plus carries). New offensive coordinator Mike McCoy was the Chargers' head coach from 2013-16 ... and his Chargers ranked second in time of possession over that stretch. Denver is going to run the ball often. Anderson just needs to stay healthy.

16 minutes ago, IHateFFButCantStop said:

• Player A averaged 4.76 yards per carry (2.05 yards after first contact), ran for 11 touchdowns and gained five-plus yards on 36.2 percent of his carries.

• Player B averaged 4.74 yards per carry (2.08 yards after first contact), ran for 13 touchdowns and gained five-plus yards on 37.2 percent of his carries.

Those were the only two seasons that we have seen Anderson play at least half of the season. Anderson was RB14 during that stretch, and we've seen nothing to suggest that he can't sustain that level of production when given the lead role (12 rushing touchdowns and 4.7 yards per carry in his 11 career regular-season games with 15-plus carries). New offensive coordinator Mike McCoy was the Chargers' head coach from 2013-16 ... and his Chargers ranked second in time of possession over that stretch. Denver is going to run the ball often. Anderson just needs to stay healthy.

Wait, CJA has only played in 11 football games?

17 minutes ago, IHateFFButCantStop said:

Such a stud. Comparable to Leveon Bell?

Wonder why he has been fighting off the Juwan Thompsons of the world when he has that kind of talent?

24 minutes ago, IHateFFButCantStop said:

Those were the only two seasons that we have seen Anderson play at least half of the season. Anderson was RB14 during that stretch, and we've seen nothing to suggest that he can't sustain that level of production when given the lead role (12 rushing touchdowns and 4.7 yards per carry in his 11 career regular-season games with 15-plus carries).

Why are you throwing out what he did in 2016? In fact, 2016 is evidence that he may not be very productive in 2017 and could have difficulty holding off, say, Charles and Henderson.

1 hour ago, augustine said:

Why are you throwing out what he did in 2016? In fact, 2016 is evidence that he may not be very productive in 2017 and could have difficulty holding off, say, Charles and Henderson.

Why is 2016 evidence that CJA may not be very productive in 2017? He averaged 12.4 ppg before he was hurt despite playing on a pretty bad offense. 18 touches/game, 4.0 yards per carry, 8.0 yards per catch, on pace for 11 TDs. Looks to me like 2016 is evidence that CJA should be quite productive this year.

But let's just take this vantage point, is it that far fetched if Charles returns to form, to absolutely steal this show and give the Broncos a run game that they haven't had in awhile? Why do i feel like Charles could be the talk of the season? 

On 8/28/2017 at 1:45 AM, Savatage79 said:

Definitely would be cool if he was one of the biggest steals in people's drafts if he took over that role. I know it's a stretch but never know, even if it's short lived it could happen 

It would be,  but several years ago I took a washed up Knowshon Moreno with the last pick of my draft.  I took Jordan Howard with my 2nd to last pick last year.  I took JC with my very last pick this year.  You just never know... 

16 minutes ago, SpartanEric said:

It would be,  but several years ago I took a washed up Knowshon Moreno with the last pick of my draft.  I took Jordan Howard with my 2nd to last pick last year.  I took JC with my very last pick this year.  You just never know... 

Same here, anything can happen. Look at what Justin forsett did for a short time and even tho it was a little different he still became relevant out of the blue. JC I think still has the drive and determination, so maybe he will push ahead. 

Jamaal Charles is a Hall of Fame talent.  He's worth rostering for that reason alone, and even coming off some injury-plagued seasons, Charles looked excellent last preseason game.  Sure, it's just the preseason, but with JC, the only concern has been health.  If he's healthy, he's the DEN back to own, at least in PPR leagues.  He's a great pass catching back, and just as importantly, he's a great blocker.

Charles may be the steal of the season.

That Matthew Berry bit was from a bold predictions article.  In the same article he says Kendall Wright will finish top 10 in receptions and a fullback (Kyle Juszczyk) will be a top 30 running back.  It also seems to exclude last year where he was pretty mediocre in 5 of his 7 games.  

There is zero reason not to draft Charles, we all know how talented he is and he is going so late in drafts he is basically a low risk/high reward guy.  Even if he doesn't do anything all season he's cheap enough where he's not going to hurt your team in any way.

all you guys all over Charles jock strap will disappear from this thread when he proves to be a shell of himself. getting hyped over a preseason game? good luck..

with that said, I have shares of Charles but I am keeping it realistic.

Edited by Rizzle630

Wild optimism for a 30 year-old back who hasn't done anything productive in two years.

At least he isn't going to cost much, but talk of him returning to form and taking over a job after 6 preseason touches... well whatever. I think if Booker was healthy, JC wouldn't have made the 53 man roster.

2 hours ago, Rizzle630 said:

all you guys all over Charles jock strap will disappear from this thread when he proves to be a shell of himself. getting hyped over a preseason game? good luck..

with that said, I have shares of Charles but I am keeping it realistic.

Why?

Easy drop as a last 2 fantasy pick

Although if he hits big the crybabies will be insufferable for not seeing it coming.