NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jamaal Charles 2017 Season Outlook

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Komfy said:

It's ok to be enthusiastic about Charles being a potential waiver wire gem. Why are people getting butthurt about our enthusiasm for a player? Let's not forget fantasy football is supposed to be fun. 

People worry to much about what others post, if you're pumped for Charles then be pumped... Words on a screen shouldn't affect that. 

i think Knowshown Moreno is a comparable because of where JC is being drafted and thats fine.

But i feel the true comparable is LT when he moved to the Jets. He moved to the Jets in 2010 and the year before he sucked a lot, like really bad. 

In his first season with the Jets, LT produced 1282 total yards, with 52 receptions and 6 TDs(this was in the RB10-14 range in 2010). 

The only question is how much JC has left in his tank. I dont think we will ever see JC of old , he is not going to give you 2000 total yards and 15 TDs. That is likely not happening. But it is well within the realm of possibilities that he gives a performance closer to what LT gave. 

One thing definitely working in favor of JC is the new OC. McCoy in 2015 gave Danny Woodhead 204 touches (98 rushing attempts and 106 targets), which Woodhead took and became the RB5 in PPR leagues. 

There is a possibility that he is used in a similar way to Woodhead. 

Again nothing is certain, but there is plenty of room for optimism here. 

If you want further hype, read the following:

http://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2017/08/30/denver-broncos-highlights-jamaal-charles-great-nfl-preseason-blocks/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/27/jamaal-charles-looks-like-jamaal-charles/

Edited by screaming_vultures
14 hours ago, voxcausa said:

Why is 2016 evidence that CJA may not be very productive in 2017? He averaged 12.4 ppg before he was hurt despite playing on a pretty bad offense. 18 touches/game, 4.0 yards per carry, 8.0 yards per catch, on pace for 11 TDs. Looks to me like 2016 is evidence that CJA should be quite productive this year.

He had issues with consistency and durability. He totalled 47 touches for 238 yards through weeks 1-2, but averaged ~16 touches for 66 yards per game over the next 5 weeks, and then got injured.

Edited by augustine
2 hours ago, Komfy said:

It's ok to be enthusiastic about Charles being a potential waiver wire gem. Why are people getting butthurt about our enthusiasm for a player? Let's not forget fantasy football is supposed to be fun. 

I think it has to do with alot of CJA owners.  Lots of people draft on ADP, lots of people don't and lots of people do both.  I was stuck in one of my drafts where CJA was staring at me in the face and seemed like the pick that made most sense, but I went elsewhere.   I feel like CJA is the guy you picked in your draft and immediately 5 seconds after you selected him, you were like ****.

Edited by KuNiT21

These type of fliers rarely pan out, but when they do it's awesome. 

It's Jamaal Charles, so if he can get and stay healthy after missing most of 2015 (71 carries in 5 games before going down) and practically all of 2016 (12 carries in 3 games before shutting it down), I like his chances of being a solid contributor to my fantasy squad. 

It's really all about health with this guy. He's never not been good when he's been healthy. I think that's important. 

I think it's obvious Denver is hoping to make this a 2-back committee.  It makes sense for both CJA and Charles.  I don't think anyone should even dream about either guy getting 25 carries a game.  Even if Charles is amazing, I think for health reasons he'll always be splitting time.  The same can be said for CJA.  Both can actually be pretty productive in fantasy so long as you don't expect the world. 

Edited by mikeflavaz
22 minutes ago, wendellrott said:

one thing for sure is that the Denver Deep Passing Game ain't going to be setting the woods on fire,

JC should at least be the passing down back and get a few series of his own to be the featured back

Pretty much this.   A series or two as the feature guy and 60%ish of third downs.  A flex candidate in deeper leagues, bye week filler in others.   Will be difficult to predict what weeks he goes off.     But there are some points to be had here 

4 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

Pretty much this.   A series or two as the feature guy and 60%ish of third downs.  A flex candidate in deeper leagues, bye week filler in others.   Will be difficult to predict what weeks he goes off.     But there are some points to be had here 

RB3/Flex

http://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2017/09/01/fantasy-football-jamaal-charles-denver-broncos/

On 9/1/2017 at 7:10 AM, Rizzle630 said:

all you guys all over Charles jock strap will disappear from this thread when he proves to be a shell of himself. getting hyped over a preseason game? good luck..

with that said, I have shares of Charles but I am keeping it realistic.

And you will disappear when he proves he's healthy and on the rebound. 

2 minutes ago, lavaman said:

For real:  what's the over/under on how long he will last? I mean c'mon...I'm sure he will get injured at some point.

The confirmation bias is going to be strong in this thread.

If he gets hurt: "see, everyone knew it was just a matter of time." 

If he stays healthy: "I told you guys he was back!"

He may get hurt, but he's healthy enough to play at the moment. He obviously comes with an injury risk, but ultimately he's another football player who may or may not get hurt. He's not going to be given a heavy workload, so that should help. 

He's never not been good. 2015 he was awesome until the ACL injury. Even last yr vs OAK he looked like the old JC until he got hurt again. 

So far we have nothing in his play that says he's washed up -- only his age, injury, and the decision by KC to cut him. That's not enough to prevent smart owners from taking a shot on him to see if he's still got it. 

1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

He's never not been good. 2015 he was awesome until the ACL injury. Even last yr vs OAK he looked like the old JC until he got hurt again. 

So far we have nothing in his play that says he's washed up -- only his age, injury, and the decision by KC to cut him. That's not enough to prevent smart owners from taking a shot on him to see if he's still got it. 

I'm totally with this. 2015 feels like forever ago but it was just 2 seasons ago and he looked solid until his injury. I think he still makes some waves big time. People are writing him off way to soon, if he gets injured again then it's time to hang it up but unless that happens I think JC can be a focal point once again 

He looked pretty good running last week. The only people who are down  on him are the ones who didnt get him or the people who drafted Anderson. Most of us took him super late so what are we going to lose if he doesnt pan out? NOTHING. 

On 9/2/2017 at 8:56 PM, joshua18 said:

I struggled with taking him in round 14.  It was either him or a young lion who I felt might be the starter soon because the starter is not that special.  So I ended up taking PERINE instead because I think Fat Kelly just doesn't have that wow factor.  As for Charles, I just don't trust those knees. I see him more as a third down back, can't see him full time again.

On 9/2/2017 at 8:56 PM, joshua18 said:

I have owned JC for his entire career in a dynasty league. I am very pro JC. I have to point out, however, that the factors you pointed out--age, injury, and getting cut--as being the "only" factors against him are pretty huge, ESPECIALLY for a RB. That's a bit like saying "only a lack of wings and gravity are keeping pigs from flying." 

Regardless I'm holding JC in a league with small benches. I hope he's able to come back and look like the JC of old, even with limited touches, just because it would really suck for a career like his to end on such a whimper and a down note if he can't, and also because it'd be good for my fantasy team. 

I just want to state for the record that I love Jamaal Charles and think he will get you decent RB2 numbers ALL year kind of like Tevin Coleman

The man is only 30.....more miles on him than a Havanna taxi cab but still got some gas left in the tank.  Word.

On 9/1/2017 at 2:52 PM, Impreza178 said:

Will be difficult to predict what weeks he goes off.     

Assuming he's healthy I'll be starting him against the Chiefs.

18 minutes ago, Hangry Bird said:

I just want to state for the record that I love Jamaal Charles and think he will get you decent RB2 numbers ALL year kind of like Tevin Coleman

The man is only 30.....more miles on him than a Havanna taxi cab but still got some gas left in the tank.  Word.

Not really. 

Matt Forte has over 2700 career touches. Lynch has about 2400. Lesean McCoy has over 2200. Frank Gore has over 3300!

Jamaal Charles has about 1600. 

Hell, DeMarco Murray has more career touches than Jamaal Charles.