NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jamaal Charles 2017 Season Outlook

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, kball09 said:

Almost definitely sitting him, and that's in my 14 teamer. Starting Woodhead, Murray, and one of Landry/Watkins over him, to give you an idea.

Seems like the wise decision. Lol...most of his owners are going to sit him to see what he does, and he'll end up turning a screen pass into a 75yd TD and gaining 125 total yards with 5 receptions. 

3 hours ago, ajs723 said:

Not really. 

Matt Forte has over 2700 career touches. Lynch has about 2400. Lesean McCoy has over 2200. Frank Gore has over 3300!

Jamaal Charles has about 1600. 

Hell, DeMarco Murray has more career touches than Jamaal Charles. 

Agreed.  His injuries notwithstanding, the Chiefs limited his usage a little bit and gave significant carries to his backfield mates.  There was always another guy or two there who got decent play, although Jamaal did get a lot of touches he was rarely overused, much to his owners chagrin at the time ?.  He did obv miss a ton of time with injuries which ironically also limited the beating he took.

Like a dude above said, I've also owned him in a dynasty for years through all the good times and the bad, and am rooting for him to look like vintage Jamaal all year (and contribute a bit to my fantasy team). I also agree though that I'm not expecting very much, even if he does look like the old Jamaal AND stays healthy all year the Broncos are going to seriously limit his action. Or so they should.

If I am running this team and he is vintage looking jamaal Charles, and doctors say he's healed up and has nothing holding him back I'm not going to limit his action if there's no need to do so

Edited by Savatage79
56 minutes ago, jahmon4 said:

Agreed.  His injuries notwithstanding, the Chiefs limited his usage a little bit and gave significant carries to his backfield mates.  There was always another guy or two there who got decent play, although Jamaal did get a lot of touches he was rarely overused, much to his owners chagrin at the time ?.  He did obv miss a ton of time with injuries which ironically also limited the beating he took.

Like a dude above said, I've also owned him in a dynasty for years through all the good times and the bad, and am rooting for him to look like vintage Jamaal all year (and contribute a bit to my fantasy team). I also agree though that I'm not expecting very much, even if he does look like the old Jamaal AND stays healthy all year the Broncos are going to seriously limit his action. Or so they should.

I think this is the plan. I just wonder how long that will remain the plan if JC continues to outplay CJ as badly as he did in Green Bay. 

If it comes down to JC outplaying CJ, my money is on JC. From what i can tell, he looked good and it might take a few weeks but JC is going to outplay CJ.  (i mentioned this earlier, even 80% of JC is better than CJ, JC is a HOF back and has carried offenses on his back in the past, now he gets to play in an offense with 2 stud WRs. You check when was the last time that happen?)

The question will be, how long can JC keep it going ? As it stands he is better for their whole offense, he will protect Semian and do a lot with dump offs. 

Edited by screaming_vultures
7 minutes ago, screaming_vultures said:

If it comes down to JC outplaying CJ, my money is on JC. From what i can tell, he looked good and it might take a few weeks but JC is going to outplay CJ.  (i mentioned this earlier, even 80% of JC is better than CJ, JC is a HOF back and has carried offenses on his back in the past, now he gets to play in an offense with 2 stud WRs. You check when was the last time that happen?)

The question will be, how long can JC keep it going ? As it stands he is better for their whole offense, he will protect Semian and do a lot with dump offs. 

And when you think about CJ vs JC consider the fact that CJ was in a neck and neck battle with Ronnie Hillman for the starter gig. CJ didn't exactly run away with it and Ronnie Hillman is not currently on an NFL roster. 

I'm not sold on JC taking over the backfield. He is overly injury prone and I have a feeling he will be what Victor Cruz  was last year, alot of excitement and hope, a glimpse of the past but end result was he lost too much to be en effective every game NFL player.  

3 hours ago, FreakFries said:

And when you think about CJ vs JC consider the fact that CJ was in a neck and neck battle with Ronnie Hillman for the starter gig. CJ didn't exactly run away with it and Ronnie Hillman is not currently on an NFL roster. 

Revisionist history.   CJA was battling injury(like usual) and Hillman was a good speed back who was thought to have a bright future.  Considering he was picked up by other teams even into this year-  Denver wasn't the only team who thought that.  

Even in JC's prime he typically had another back to take most of the punishment up the middle.  Thomas Jones and Larry Johnson the most notables.  Now that he's had multiple knee surgeries and is 30 years of age is it reasonable to expect an increase from the 15 or so touches/game?  

8-12 touches a game for JC is what I'm hearing a lot.    You want him available all season if possible.  

CJ will get the lions share of the work.    Most series, 30-40% of third downs, and all the GL work.  

On 9/4/2017 at 11:23 PM, wendellrott said:

best RB in pass protection...best pass catching RB...best RB?

Charles Highlights from "dress rehearsal"  - he lays a couple sick blocks out up in there ... fantastic in pass pro, and looks to be gaining his spryness back - i'd say he looks close to shaking off all the rust.

IN.  

48 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

Charles Highlights from "dress rehearsal"  - he lays a couple sick blocks out up in there ... fantastic in pass pro, and looks to be gaining his spryness back - i'd say he looks close to shaking off all the rust.

IN.  

That 2nd and 5 play was vintage Charles. I'm in, as well.

He's 30 but he barely ran the last 2 years so the age isn't the biggest concern in my opinion. CJA is no match for JC. Only thing he's got on JC is power. JC might not have the power but everything is off the chart. He never relied on his speed to outrun defenders, he's always been great at running between the tackles and his speed extended some of 10+ yards in 70 and 80 lol How much top speed he's lost is yet to be seen but from what I saw the acceleration was still there. 

He was cut without being given a chance, on one year deal, and Denver should be in to compete deeply into playoffs as defense isn't getting younger. I think (wish, hope, believe etc) Denver would ride him hard after a few big plays from him this season or until his knees give up. 

On 9/4/2017 at 2:30 PM, Flyman75 said:

Seems like the wise decision. Lol...most of his owners are going to sit him to see what he does, and he'll end up turning a screen pass into a 75yd TD and gaining 125 total yards with 5 receptions. 

And he'll tear his meniscus on the way to the bench after scoring the 75 yard TD

22 minutes ago, Ripster85 said:

Jamaal will be primary pass catching back! If he is not injured, he will cross cj soon!! Last i read he is expected have 14-15 touches

I think there is a very good chance this happens given how much better he looked than CJ in preseason