NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jamaal Charles 2017 Season Outlook

I actually have to start him in a 10-team league due to owning the entire TB Bucs offense... sigh...

But I will say that watching that preseason clip, he looks good.  IF he can stay healthy, he should take over a significant share of this backfield

Edited by JJ1223
  • Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12-15 touches is plenty for him to be usable in fantasy. Should help keep him healthy as well.

I think he has gotten hurt from the massive loads (?) he has had in recent years.

Edited by Deadpool
10 minutes ago, Deadpool said:

12-15 touches is plenty for him to be usable in fantasy. Should help keep him healthy as well.

I think he has gotten hurt from the massive loads (?) he has had in recent years.

he was probably the least leaned on "feature back" in the league, actually. he was never really saddled with gargantuan workloads, and his injuries (as was mentioned earlier) tend to be on the flukey side, and less to do with the wear and tear that someone like AP (same age) endured. 

his first big knee mishap occurred while he was skitting out of bounds in Detroit - he slipped on the synthetic turf as he was avoiding a first down marker stick.  totally fluked up. 

I'd say he looks to be 80% right now ... that cut he made on the surgically repaired knee was not exactly on a dime, but he emerged unscathed.  he's working back, and i could see him being 100% by week 4. 

Edited by pastorofmuppets2
1 hour ago, Deadpool said:

Are there any guesses from insiders (e.g. beat writers) as to what the touch and snap distributions will be? I haven't found anything thus far.

I'm concerned that JC's usage may not creep up to the 12-15 touch range until CJA gets hurt. While ~10 touches per game could work for PPR folks, it's not great for standard leaguers, not if his work is going to be primarily between the 20s.

24 minutes ago, augustine said:

Are there any guesses from insiders (e.g. beat writers) as to what the touch and snap distributions will be? I haven't found anything thus far.

I'm concerned that JC's usage may not creep up to the 12-15 touch range until CJA gets hurt. While ~10 touches per game could work for PPR folks, it's not great for standard leaguers, not if his work is going to be primarily between the 20s.

Listening to beat writers is a great way to lose a fantasy league.

17 hours ago, disasterisk said:

Listening to beat writers is a great way to lose a fantasy league.

If I recall correctly, Cecil Lammey has a pretty good track record when it comes to predicting what happens in the Den backfield (McGahee usurping Moreno, Moreno outplaying Ball, CJA eventually becoming the workhorse, etc.). However, he's been pretty quiet on the CJA/ JC stuff. I was just wondering if anyone heard stuff from guys like him.

? excited for tonight ?

think ol' #25 (now #28 for Denver) has enough left in the tank to be a steady ppr flex consideration , if not an outright rb2 if his touches click up.  

would expect a dozen or so touches tonight .... say 8/9 carries, 4/5 recs, totalling in the range of 75-80 yds. 

25% shot at a TD. 

12 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

? excited for tonight ?

think ol' #25 (now #28 for Denver) has enough left in the tank to be a steady ppr flex consideration , if not an outright rb2 if his touches click up.  

would expect a dozen or so touches tonight .... say 8/9 carries, 4/5 recs, totalling in the range of 75-80 yds. 

25% shot at a TD. 

hope JC can show us something tonight...not expecting it but hey ya never know!

28 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

? excited for tonight ?

25% shot at a TD. 

Agreed.   SD has a stout line and good linebackers- although losing perryman is a big blow to their depth.   They also have a good secondary.    

Pretty much perfect storm for the short passing game to be successful.    

Fire up Jamaal tonight. 

4 hours ago, omnom1337 said:

Wouldn't start him unless it was a 14-teamer or as a desperation play. JC is low-risk, SUPER HIGH reward lottery ticket.

If CJA goes down and Jamaal stays healthy? Baby you've got a stew goin'

Liked, mostly for the Carl Weathers quote. 

6 hours ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

I don't see any value here. He's going to be efficient with his touches but this offense is not that good. I'm imagining him averaging about 40-60 YFS a game. Sprinkle in a TD here and there. FLEX value perhaps.

How did you feel about what Cohen did yesterday?  If Charles is healthy he'll produce. 

7 hours ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

I don't see any value here. He's going to be efficient with his touches but this offense is not that good. I'm imagining him averaging about 40-60 YFS a game. Sprinkle in a TD here and there. FLEX value perhaps.

Oh, really?

Averaging 40-60 rushing yards per game would be 50 per game. That is 800 rushing yards on the season. Do you know how many RBs had 800 or more rushing yards during the 2016 season? 20.

10 hours ago, jonasdash said:

Prediction: 7 touches,  32 yards.  Ho hum

6 hours ago, ajs723 said:

Prediction: 11 touches. 5 catches, 35 yards. 6 carries for 50 yards. 13.5 PPR points without a TD. Far from ho hum. 

Final line for Jamaal - 10 carries, 40 yards, 0 catches, 0 touchdowns, 1 fumble lost.  2 points in PPR - extremely ho hum.

Stats don't look good but I liked what I saw tonight though. 

Didn't really expect to see him inside 5 or close to end zone.  

Ran routes on passing plays and when he carried the ball he looked good. 

Kinda hope he'll get more touches when Denver is trailing but from the looks of it, CJA and JC would rotate regardless of the situation. 

I'd gladly hold on to him.