NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jamaal Charles 2017 Season Outlook

Unless Brieda gets the start over Hyde I'm using JC in my flex(standard league) tomorrow.Hoping he may get 1-2 Chris Thompson like opportunities against the Raiders.

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/28/2017 at 5:45 AM, eg4190 said:

I picked him up on waivers yesterday as my RB5.  The same day, I decided to propose a trade to the Ertz owner involving Parker.  The Ertz owner rejected that trade, but immediately came back with JC for Ertz.  I almost broke my phone pounding the Accept button.

The moral of the story is, JC is absolutely worth picking up -- because some goober in your league may see the name value and think they're tricking you into giving up a potential RB1.  It's not going to happen, even if CJA and Booker are both hit by a truck tomorrow, but if JC has a few solid games on limited touches, someone will be willing to buy. 

No one in my leagues is going to give me anything for JC unless CJA is injured for season and JC strings several vintage games together.

I guess none of the writers noticed that he got his knee banged up, thus the difference in CJ owning the workload the 2nd half. 

Charles was looking dynamite early on... very impressive.  Then he went airborne and had a helmet directly to the knee.  It was no ACL type of thing, but the helmet hit square... looked painful.  Probably bruised up pretty good.  

There is no other reason for his usage to have declined like it did, he was a stud before that. 

I thought I heard on the broadcast that he was held out because the hit produced a decent cut on his knee, rather than a traditional "injury".  Can anyone confirm/deny?  I've been trying to buy this guy for a couple weeks but if he's actually banged up I will probably fall back a bit.

21 minutes ago, JJ1223 said:

I thought I heard on the broadcast that he was held out because the hit produced a decent cut on his knee, rather than a traditional "injury".  Can anyone confirm/deny?  I've been trying to buy this guy for a couple weeks but if he's actually banged up I will probably fall back a bit.

Yah, not sure why nobody is noting this.  I stated this above.  

His leg was suspended in the air when a defender's helmet hit it pretty squarely.  I don't think I saw much or any of him after that play. 

It was definitely not a twist/tear or anything severe on this play.  

It probably hurt like hell and possible cut him, yes.  He was looking awesome before this play.  

10 minutes ago, SpartanEric said:

Yah, not sure why nobody is noting this.  I stated this above.  

His leg was suspended in the air when a defender's helmet hit it pretty squarely.  I don't think I saw much or any of him after that play. 

It was definitely not a twist/tear or anything severe on this play.  

It probably hurt like hell and possible cut him, yes.  He was looking awesome before this play.  

I'm not sure why this really matters. He is clearly a COP back. CJA is starter unless injured.

9 minutes ago, Jetdog16 said:

I'm not sure why this really matters. He is clearly a COP back. CJA is starter unless injured.

The vast majority of teams utilize RB by committee and Denver is no exception.  Charles has been a model of efficiency with the ball in his hands this season so far (5.3 YPC, 7.0 YPR).  Charles if/when healthy has been one of the most talented and productive backs in the league.  CJA hasn't always been looked on favorably in Denver and even without injury Charles could, or dare I say SHOULD eat even more in to his touches.  Injuries happen often in the NFL and especially to RBs.  RB is arguably the toughest position in fantasy to find production.  Should I keep going?  Unless you're playing in a little boy's 8-team league, there are tons of reason why this "really matters".  If you're not contributing to the discussion, bounce.

Just now, JJ1223 said:

The vast majority of teams utilize RB by committee and Denver is no exception.  Charles has been a model of efficiency with the ball in his hands this season so far (5.3 YPC, 7.0 YPR).  Charles if/when healthy has been one of the most talented and productive backs in the league.  CJA hasn't always been looked on favorably in Denver and even without injury Charles could, or dare I say SHOULD eat even more in to his touches.  Injuries happen often in the NFL and especially to RBs.  RB is arguably the toughest position in fantasy to find production.  Should I keep going?  Unless you're playing in a little boy's 8-team league, there are tons of reason why this "really matters".  If you're not contributing to the discussion, bounce.

I'm contributing to the discussion in a more helpful manner than whatever that was. I was merely asking why it matters that Charles was slightly banged up. He is the COP back and is incredibly injury prone in his own regard. He has scored once in 4 games and has not been useable unless you're in a 16 team league. 

Just now, lolcopter said:

What is your point exactly? Charles will never get a workhorse share of the touches, period.

Exactly. You can riled up in the hypothetical...but the reality is Charles has no value unless an injury pops up. He is worth a stash but there are guys with more upside available. 

@lolcopter do you only roster workhorses then?  I'm assuming the answer is no.

Who is to say that if he doesn't continue to produce efficiently that it doesn't end up in a 50/50 split between he and CJA?  They could both be productive from a fantasy standpoint (see: Freeman and Coleman in ATL as an example).

I'm also curious who you think had more upside that would be available @Jetdog16?

it matters bc Charles got more carries the week before and has been more effective than CJ so far. if he hadn't got hurt, would he have gotten 13 carries? if so, then he becomes very fantasy relevant, so it is a crucial question 

3 minutes ago, JJ1223 said:

I would love to have Charles rostered but I’m not going to sit in his player thread and wax hypotheticals about could be’s and what if’s when the Broncos have VERY CLEARLY outlined his role this season. They are not going to put his and the team’s season long potential at risk so you can feel good about your RB4-5

10 minutes ago, JJ1223 said:

Who is to say that if he doesn't continue to produce efficiently that it doesn't end up in a 50/50 split between he and CJA?  They could both be productive from a fantasy standpoint (see: Freeman and Coleman in ATL as an example).

I'm also curious who you think had more upside that would be available @Jetdog16?

I will be dropping him. I can identify 3-4 players at least with higher upsides on WW. If I had the bench room I would keep him for another 2 weeks or so.

Edited by Jetdog16
12 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

I would love to have Charles rostered but I’m not going to sit in his player thread and wax hypotheticals about could be’s and what if’s when the Broncos have VERY CLEARLY outlined his role this season. They are not going to put his and the team’s season long potential at risk so you can feel good about your RB4-5

Sure, but we weren't sitting in here waxing hypothetical.  We were talking about the severity of a potential injury, when someone interjected asking why it mattered.  So I answered.

You guys are acting like whatever the situation was at the start of the season is what it is and it never changes, when that is almost never the case.  Situations at running back change all the time.

Edited by JJ1223
2 minutes ago, JJ1223 said:

Sure, but we weren't sitting in here waxing hypothetical.  We were talking about the severity of a potential injury, when someone interjected asking why it mattered.  So I answered.

You guys are acting like whatever the situation was at the start of the season is what it is and it never changes, when that is almost never the case.  Situations at running back change all the time.

There’s a reason Booker was active and playing yesterday

spoiler alert: it’s not because JC is equippped and ready to take over lead dog duties in the event of a CJA injury

56 minutes ago, Jetdog16 said:

Exactly. You can riled up in the hypothetical...but the reality is Charles has no value unless an injury pops up. He is worth a stash but there are guys with more upside available. 

I'd like to know exactly who these guys are, and would be willing to wager a hefty amount - that none of them are available in my competitive 12 team leagues. 

Yes, it would likely take an injury... which happens constantly in this league and especially at this position, and CJ has an injury history himself.  

Derrick Henry would take and injury to be significant, does he have no value?  Bilal Powell was someone likely considered of "no value", and with 1 injury he goes for 160 yards and TD the next week.  

Charles may never be a 20+ touch guy, sure.  But he never really was.  If he's getting 15 -18 touches per game (which very well could happen if a CJ injury were to occur), he's going to be a quality starter in 12 team leagues.  

The whole point of this was that the blurbs had been keeping close tabs on the touch counts between CJ and Charles, last week was near even.  This week it appeared that CJ took back his stranglehold of the workhorse role.... And I think that much of that could be due to Charles dinging his knee in this game.  

9 minutes ago, SpartanEric said:

I'd like to know exactly who these guys are, and would be willing to wager a hefty amount - that none of them are available in my competitive 12 team leagues. 

Yes, it would likely take an injury... which happens constantly in this league and especially at this position, and CJ has an injury history himself.  

Derrick Henry would take and injury to be significant, does he have no value?  Bilal Powell was someone likely considered of "no value", and with 1 injury he goes for 160 yards and TD the next week.  

Charles may never be a 20+ touch guy, sure.  But he never really was.  If he's getting 15 -18 touches per game (which very well could happen if a CJ injury were to occur), he's going to be a quality starter in 12 team leagues.  

The whole point of this was that the blurbs had been keeping close tabs on the touch counts between CJ and Charles, last week was near even.  This week it appeared that CJ took back his stranglehold of the workhorse role.... And I think that much of that could be due to Charles dinging his knee in this game.  

dropped for potential murray or ellington add

10 minutes ago, SpartanEric said:

I see more upside in the following:

Latavius Murray (Obviously)

Aaron Jones (Will START for 1-3 weeks and then who knows from there. Ty Mont is a receiver not a runner)

Wayne Gallman (In 1st appearance of season had more PPR points than Charles has produced in a given week this yr)

Thomas Rawls (Available in my league and has clearer path to touches)

I could name a few more. You are confusing talent level with upside. Charles' upside is limited as he is a clear handcuff. The guys I mentioned are all current starters or on the precipitous of becoming one. 

1 hour ago, JJ1223 said:

I'm a CJ owner and JC definitely concerns me. I think they are still managing JCs' touches, not only to let him work his way back, but also because he could be a nice weapon for the final quarter of the season and the playoffs.

8 hours ago, Jetdog16 said:

I see more upside in the following:

Latavius Murray (Obviously)

Aaron Jones (Will START for 1-3 weeks and then who knows from there. Ty Mont is a receiver not a runner)

Wayne Gallman (In 1st appearance of season had more PPR points than Charles has produced in a given week this yr)

Thomas Rawls (Available in my league and has clearer path to touches)

I could name a few more. You are confusing talent level with upside. Charles' upside is limited as he is a clear handcuff. The guys I mentioned are all current starters or on the precipitous of becoming one. 

Ummm, you just named a bunch of guys whose jobs have just been solidified due to injuries that already happened.  Anyone could do that.  Unfortunately you are going to need a Waiver claim or a cash to get them now, if they are available... everyone knows about them.  

The whole point is that we are holding RB's on the bench in anticipation of the starter going down.  So yah, if you already have a starter due to an injury that just happened this week,  that is an obvious preferential add.  

What handcuffs out there have more upside that are still available?  that is the question, because I would honestly drop Charles if I could find one.  I'm looking at guys like Chris Ivory, Charles Sims, McKinnon... (no thank you).  Not even guys like West or Theo Riddick are available.  

3 hours ago, SpartanEric said:

Ummm, you just named a bunch of guys whose jobs have just been solidified due to injuries that already happened.  Anyone could do that.  Unfortunately you are going to need a Waiver claim or a cash to get them now, if they are available... everyone knows about them.  

The whole point is that we are holding RB's on the bench in anticipation of the starter going down.  So yah, if you already have a starter due to an injury that just happened this week,  that is an obvious preferential add.  

What handcuffs out there have more upside that are still available?  that is the question, because I would honestly drop Charles if I could find one.  I'm looking at guys like Chris Ivory, Charles Sims, McKinnon... (no thank you).  Not even guys like West or Theo Riddick are available.  

James Conner.

Of course, Bell's not the injury candidate CJA is.

I'm holding, but uncomfortably. He was my RB5, a luxury. Carson's out, so JC is 4 now. At the moment, there's nobody available that I think is a better - everybody on that list included, except Rawls.

I am intrigued by this Ekeler guy though. Know little to nothing about him.