NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Jamaal Charles 2017 Season Outlook

elite

10 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Not the same.   You can't blast Charles through the line 20 times a game like u need CJ for-  and to a lesser extent Books.  

If Charles is right he could be a useful weapon in space but never the primary guy.  

Wasn't this the knock on him coming out of UT?  Not big enough to pound?  Didn't stop him from having the highest YPC of all time.  You can't keep a weapon like that off the field just because you want to deliver a blow to a linebacker.

And Charles never got 20 carries per game.  In 2015 he was only getting like 14 carries a game.  13 a game in 2014.  His highest ever is like 17 per game.

Again this is all assuming the knees are 100%.  If they are, the CS would be fools to give CJA more snaps than one of the most explosive talents of the last 15 years.  Let Booker marinate and learn for another year.  Give Charles 12 carries and 5 catches a game and let CJA play the COP.

Edited by Lord_Varys

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

Wasn't this the knock on him coming out of UT?  Not big enough to pound?  Didn't stop him from having the highest YPC of all time.  You can't keep a weapon like that off the field just because you want to deliver a blow to a linebacker.

And Charles never got 20 carries per game.  In 2015 he was only getting like 14 carries a game.  13 a game in 2014.  His highest ever is like 17 per game.

Again this is all assuming the knees are 100%.  If they are, the CS would be fools to give CJA more snaps than one of the most explosive talents of the last 15 years.  Let Booker marinate and learn for another year.  Give Charles 12 carries and 5 catches a game and let CJA play the COP.

It's a romantic notion LV.  There's a decent chance he doesn't make the team.      If he does all indicators are exactly what I told u.    But I wish u luck. 

4 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

It's a romantic notion LV.  There's a decent chance he doesn't make the team.      If he does all indicators are exactly what I told u.    But I wish u luck. 

This is one of those unique situations where two opposing viewpoints are actually equally valid.

Person A can say Jamaal Charles is one of the most dynamic and explosive running backs this league has ever seen. If he's healthy, there's no way that friggin CJ Anderson and Booker are keeping him off the field. He'll be a steal. 

Person B can say that Charles is a mere shell of himself after both of his knees broke down, and he's a long shot to even make the 53 man roster. Don't waste a draft pick on him. 

Both of those positions have credibility and can be effectively argued. 

Someone is going to end up being spot on, and someone is going to be dead wrong. 

5 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

Not the same.   You can't blast Charles through the line 20 times a game like u need CJ for-  and to a lesser extent Books.  

If Charles is right he could be a useful weapon in space but never the primary guy.  

You are hoping he can break a long one- but in this offense you already have two excellent receiving backs and one of the best WRs on bubble screens.   

5/78/1 is best case for JC.  Maybe a few times this year-  guessing the right week is the trouble. 

How can you say he's not back. Just watch how he dominates this bouncy yoga core thingy.

28 minutes ago, pikerbkb said:

How can you say he's not back. Just watch how he dominates this bouncy yoga core thingy.

I dunno why but I thought this video was hilarious ..he actually limps off at .43 or at least it looks like he does 

Edited by JSA2422

23 minutes ago, JSA2422 said:

I dunno why but I thought this video was hilarious ..he actually limps off at .43 or at least it looks like he does 

It looks pretty pathetic, but it's also unfair since it was probably shot in February/March and he was in the middle of his recovery from surgery/surgeries.

He could very well beat the odds and have a nice comeback story, but I would not bet on him coming all the way back to a lead role. Co-lead in a committee is probably best case scenario, which would make him a nice flex candidate, but an increasingly fragile one.

http://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/jamaal-charles/233

Edited by pikerbkb

Preza made a good point ...  Maybe the knees are 100%.  You can still limit his touches and let CJA be the main guy, in an effort to make sure that Charles doesn't hurt himself again.  Let him be an X factor all year long instead of trying to ride him and risking something happening.  I could buy into that.

This is all conjecture until August when we know if he's on the team and whether or not the knees are 100pc.  Should just defer the discussion till then I guess.

At this point I'd take Charles around the time I'm thinking about kickers.  Reminds me of Arian trying to squeeze another season out last year.  

One of the best the league has seen and by all accounts a good guy, hopefully it works out for him but he's a solid DND for me.  

9 hours ago, Mad_Jens said:

At this point I'd take Charles around the time I'm thinking about kickers.  Reminds me of Arian trying to squeeze another season out last year.  

One of the best the league has seen and by all accounts a good guy, hopefully it works out for him but he's a solid DND for me.  

Yea, I really wanted to forget about Charles so I could keep my butt firmly planted on the CJA train (I like the player), but reports continue to suggest that no one is throwing dirt on Charles in Denver just yet.  If it turns out Charles has some life left, who would want any share of that backfield, even at a bargain price?  The trifecta of CJA, Charles and Booker could redefine the term RBBC.    

9 hours ago, Mad_Jens said:

Difference is, Arian's head wasn't in it. He showed up for one last pay-day.

Charles actually looks like he wants to play.

I'm staying away though. Crappy offensive line, no real improvement at QB, and too many question-marks surrounding a player that happens to be well past his prime.

Honestly, i still think the best back there is CJ Anderson. He looked phenomenal at the start of last season. Unfortunately for him, his body never holds up.

I'm surprise this thread has so much positive to say about him.  In a keeper league do you think it is worth trading Jaquizz Rodgers for him?  Quiz will likely just be a 4 game rental at the beginning of the year until Martin gets back right.  If it's a swing and miss on Charles can just cut bait.

On 6/29/2017 at 10:15 AM, Lord_Varys said:

Maybe 13 carries is the limit, at 14, he blew out his knee in a matter of weeks

48 minutes ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

I miss the days in fantasy when you could just draft the rbs in Denver that weren't at a first round adp and hit on a lottery ticket

CJA 5th

JC 9th

Booker super late 

that's pretty cheap.   

Edited by Impreza178

On Friday, June 30, 2017 at 5:07 AM, Lord_Varys said:

Preza made a good point ...  Maybe the knees are 100%.  You can still limit his touches and let CJA be the main guy, in an effort to make sure that Charles doesn't hurt himself again.  Let him be an X factor all year long instead of trying to ride him and risking something happening.  I could buy into that.

This is all conjecture until August when we know if he's on the team and whether or not the knees are 100pc.  Should just defer the discussion till then I guess.

Assuming he's 100% if I'm Denver Charles gets all 3rd down work and another 5 to 8 so so touches per game in an effort to keep him healthy.   Something like 25 snaps and 13 or so touches max per game.

11 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

CJA 5th

JC 9th

Booker super late 

that's pretty cheap.   

Maybe I'm too much of a tight wad, but CJA in the 5th is too rich for me, and I love the player.  If all 3 of these RBs are going to get meaningful touches in this so-so offense, there are many more options I like in the 5th.

2 hours ago, Rolling Thunder said:

Maybe I'm too much of a tight wad, but CJA in the 5th is too rich for me, and I love the player.  If all 3 of these RBs are going to get meaningful touches in this so-so offense, there are many more options I like in the 5th.

Are they really all going to get meaningful touches. There is a very good chance Charles is done. 

1 hour ago, cyberwatty said:

Are they really all going to get meaningful touches. There is a very good chance Charles is done. 

Nothing I can dig up reliably projects that yet.  If you hitch your wagon to CJA now, you're flying blind.   Guess right, and the 5th round investment in CJA looks pretty good. Guess wrong and he won't be worth a whole lot, especially if that offense continues to struggle.

6 hours ago, Rolling Thunder said:

Nothing I can dig up reliably projects that yet.  If you hitch your wagon to CJA now, you're flying blind.   Guess right, and the 5th round investment in CJA looks pretty good. Guess wrong and he won't be worth a whole lot, especially if that offense continues to struggle.

it is hard to get anything concrete but from listening to the local radio guys they seem to think that anderson will be the main banger. some write off charles as nothing more than a backup but i have heard plenty of talk of the offense incorporating rbs in the passing game a whole lot more. that's where charles and henderson come in i think. atm i see anderson as the early down back with booker his primary backup while charles and henderson as the third down backs. the 3rd down backs may receive a bunch of targets this year as the offense looks to get faster and incorporate more designed plays to involve rbs (and tes) in the passing game. speed is what is is desired. if charles still has it i expect he has a significant role but not a full-on feature role.

i don't think they want any single back to be have such a big workload. it's looking like a rbbc with clearly defined roles for the backs. anderson seems to be the favorite to lead a power rushing attack with booker being his primary cuff. if charles has anything left he will assume the 3rd down work and will have other plays designed for him. henderson ideally develops behind him as the next in line for the role. anderson is the best back to play both roles at the same time but i think they would rather him not in hopes he holds up all year. if henderson is not ready then i think you could see booker getting more early down action with charles and anderson taking a lot of 3rd down/pass designed plays. if charles isn't right and henderson isn't ready then booker becomes a lot more interesting to me

18 hours ago, 96mnc said:

Assuming he's 100% if I'm Denver Charles gets all 3rd down work and another 5 to 8 so so touches per game in an effort to keep him healthy.   Something like 25 snaps and 13 or so touches max per game.

Agree, limited workload with a long term view.  The knees are a ticking time bomb.  80% of his already diminished explosiveness does them little good.    10-12 touches would be optimal.    But disagree with "all 3rd down work."   CJ will get plenty of that too and goalline duty.   Im rostering him and his cuff Booker because they'll get most of the work behind an improved line, and both are good receivers out of the backfield.  

If @Packdog prediction is accurate that would be awesome for Denver-  but I just don't see JC having anything more than an occasional splash play.   Take everything JC says in an interview with a HUGE grain of salt.  It was the same thing last season and we saw how that turned out.   

Edited by Impreza178

20 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

CJA 5th

JC 9th

Booker super late 

that's pretty cheap.   

I might take a shot on Charles in the 9th or 10th rd.

Even if charles doesnt play the first few games his upside would be tremendous if he were healthy and cj suffered an injury. I dont mind lottery tickets in round 10 some times and Charles has shown what he can do when healthy.

9 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

Agree, limited workload with a long term view.  The knees are a ticking time bomb.  80% of his already diminished explosiveness does them little good.    10-12 touches would be optimal.    But disagree with "all 3rd down work."   CJ will get plenty of that too and goalline duty.   Im rostering him and his cuff Booker because they'll get most of the work behind an improved line, and both are good receivers out of the backfield.  

If @Packdog prediction is accurate that would be awesome for Denver-  but I just don't see JC having anything more than an occasional splash play.   Take everything JC says in an interview with a HUGE grain of salt.  It was the same thing last season and we saw how that turned out.   

Why do you think CJA should get any 3rd down work if Charles is healthy?

20 hours ago, 96mnc said:

Why do you think CJA should get any 3rd down work if Charles is healthy?

CJ the most versatile back on the team.  He's good pass blocker, can get tough yards through middle, great slide step on draw plays, good receiver,  and really smart adapting to audibles.  

He's not coming off the field every third down.   JC is will be in specific packages and it would not surprise to see him in motion or split out close to the line with CJ or Books in the backfield on passing plays.   McCoy is a creative playcaller.