NBC Sports Edge Forums

Chris Johnson 2017 Season Outlook

The mythical CJ?K intends to keep playing after having sports hernia surgery this past season. Entering free agency and turning 32 in September, will he stay with the Cardinals or land somewhere else?

Free agent Chris Johnson intimated he plans to continue his playing career.
"I definitely know I can still make plays," Johnson said. "I definitely know I still have my speed." Johnson was injured in Week 4 last season and missed the remainder of the season after having sports-hernia surgery. Before going down, Johnson still looked like he can hit the edge with the best of them. Entering his age-32 year, Johnson can still help a team in a bit role.
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, petekrum said:

Has no value.

Thats what I'm thinking too, it'll probably take every other RB on whichever team he's on to go down before he has any significant value.
Or is it possible he can carve out a Darren Sproles type of role and stay relevant this way?

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This Arizona RB situation is going to be absolutely dreadful going forward when I'm seeing names like Kerwynn Williams, Andre Ellington, and now the reanimated corpse of CJ2K.  I know if you've just lost David Johnson you almost have to gamble on one of these guys but I can't see this group even cranking out low-end RB2 production on a regular basis going forward.

FWIW

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20684253/arizona-cardinals-re-sign-chris-johnson-rb-david-johnson-put-ir

Veteran Chris Johnson re-signed with the Cardinals on Tuesday, less than two weeks after the team released him Sept. 1.

Johnson, who spent the previous two years with the Cardinals, likely will assume the featured back role in David Johnson's absence.

David Johnson was placed on injured reserve Tuesday. He is expected to miss two to three months after undergoing surgery to repair a dislocated wrist, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported.

Chris Johnson will likely get most of the carries against the Colts on Sunday in Indianapolis, followed by Kerwynn Williams, Andre Ellington, Elijhaa Penny and D.J. Foster. With each running back having a separate strength, Arizona's rushing game will likely be by committee instead of relying on one player.

From ESPN Nation ARI Cardinals reporter Josh Weinfuss. The two bolded parts confuse me though.

6 minutes ago, NYR Fan 116894 said:

FWIW

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20684253/arizona-cardinals-re-sign-chris-johnson-rb-david-johnson-put-ir

From ESPN Nation ARI Cardinals reporter Josh Weinfuss. The two bolded parts confuse me though.

It's because it's nothing but a pure guess game, nobody knows anything except the team and or Arians. Writers guess, we guess, just a bunch of clueless people who want to think they know what will happen come the game but will most likely be wrong. So who knows. 

3 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

It's because it's nothing but a pure guess game, nobody knows anything except the team and or Arians. Writers guess, we guess, just a bunch of clueless people who want to think they know what will happen come the game but will most likely be wrong. So who knows. 

Elijhaa Penny has the coolest name of the bunch so that's who I'm going with

12 minutes ago, FFCollusion said:

CJ2K is my first choice in this backfield.

Ellington is my second choice.

K.Williams isn't worth a waiver in my opinion.

Not going to debate, discuss, or argue it, just stating it, so my haters have something to quote down the road.

Agree.  How much are you bidding?

This smells like CJ Spiller's situation.  Veteran cut before Week 1 to avoid guaranteeing him his contract for the remainder of the season.  Only David Johnson got injured on Week 1, so now it looks like they're bringing him back because of that, when if DJ hadn't got injured they probably would have resigned him anyway.