NBC Sports Edge Forums

Hunter Henry 2017 Season Outlook

5 hours ago, 96mnc said:

Henry is most definitely a threat.  Didn't like them drafting him in the second round over Chris Jones but he played extremely well for a rookie last year. 

I was impressed as well. He can play all 3 downs and will be a useful piece in the red zone. Between the 20s though, no reason to give it to a horribly and I mean horribly bad athlete when you have Tyrell Williams as a big play waiting to happen.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, CL3VELANDBR0WNS said:

I was impressed as well. He can play all 3 downs and will be a useful piece in the red zone. Between the 20s though, no reason to give it to a horribly and I mean horribly bad athlete when you have Tyrell Williams as a big play waiting to happen.

That's the thing that surprised me...he didn't look like a horribly bad athlete watching him on the field.  Perhaps I should have paid more attention to his breakout age given that he was playing in the SEC and that he was an incredibly young rookie being that he was only 21.

1 hour ago, CL3VELANDBR0WNS said:

You think hunter henry is a horribly bad athlete? What makes him a bad athlete? Consistenly gets open. Able to run block. Moderate speed. Great hands. The guy is an all around tight end. Id say his future looks bright.

7 minutes ago, vikingapocalypse said:

You think hunter henry is a horribly bad athlete? What makes him a bad athlete? Consistenly gets open. Able to run block. Moderate speed. Great hands. The guy is an all around tight end. Id say his future looks bright.

CL3VELANDBR0WNS is contrarian to the extreme for attention. In no way is HH an awful athlete who should only be a RZ option. His hands are incredible, and his ability to get open in the NFL was there from day one. He needs more looks in that offense.

Edited by Ffguy0087
33 minutes ago, vikingapocalypse said:

The underwear olympics tell you all you need to know about a guys raw athleticism. 
He doesn't have it. Many have overcome it by the way you've mentioned and he should be fine. I just don't see him as a threat to Tyrell's role as a big play threat.

20 minutes ago, CL3VELANDBR0WNS said:

The underwear olympics tell you all you need to know about a guys raw athleticism. 
He doesn't have it. Many have overcome it by the way you've mentioned and he should be fine. I just don't see him as a threat to Tyrell's role as a big play threat.

Jason Witten ran the same 40 as Henry. Henry ran a faster 40 than Heath Miller. Being a solid chain move as a tight end doesnt only involve only 'raw athleticism'. 

And you are right. Henry will not be a threat to Tyrell's 'big play threat' role. He's a tight end. 

17 minutes ago, CL3VELANDBR0WNS said:

Underwear olympics? Like his pro day? Cause he did fairly well there as well.

Im just trying to figure out what lead you to believe hes not a good athlete. He tested average or above average in most categories. How can you overcome what you dont have? Chargers showed his versatility using him everywhere on the field. He won jump balls in the endzone and consistently ran himself open. Caught 8 tds, 5th by a rookie all time, while splitting time with antonio gates and being hampered by an ankle late.

I understand not everyone can be jordan reed, or travis kelce, but im not sure how any of that screams bad athlete. Your definition of athleticism must be different then mine

2 minutes ago, vikingapocalypse said:

Underwear olympics? Like his pro day? Cause he did fairly well there as well.

Im just trying to figure out what lead you to believe hes not a good athlete. He tested average or above average in most categories. How can you overcome what you dont have? Chargers showed his versatility using him everywhere on the field. He won jump balls in the endzone and consistently ran himself open. Caught 8 tds, 5th by a rookie all time, while splitting time with antonio gates and being hampered by an ankle late.

I understand not everyone can be jordan reed, or travis kelce, but im not sure how any of that screams bad athlete. Your definition of athleticism must be different then mine

My preferred measurables site: https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/hunter-henry/
His speed is the only thing that is about borderline. 
I do agree though on his touchdown ability, certainly will be useful in the red zone.

7 hours ago, CL3VELANDBR0WNS said:

I see really nothing about that backs the claim that Henry is a horrible athlete. That seems like a reach to me. 

I like Henry in the later rounds. I think he's more of a dynasty/keeper stash and once Gates is out he becomes a top 5 type asset. I'm not ruling out a breakout year but think 2018 and beyond is where he takes the next step 

Henry isn't a great athlete but that doesn't mean he can't be a great NFL tight end. That's what people seem to be getting hung up on. Out of all the "skill positions" tight end is the most forgiving for below average athletes. Henry proved last season has a high chance of becoming a highly productive NFL tight end.

For reference, Henry's SPARQ score puts him in the 10th percentile of tight ends which is well below average

3 hours ago, munde53 said:

Henry isn't a great athlete but that doesn't mean he can't be a great NFL tight end. That's what people seem to be getting hung up on. Out of all the "skill positions" tight end is the most forgiving for below average athletes. Henry proved last season has a high chance of becoming a highly productive NFL tight end.

For reference, Henry's SPARQ score puts him in the 10th percentile of tight ends which is well below average

His actual production on a per pass basis last year was top 5 in the NFL.  That's outstanding for anyone but especially a 21 year old rookie.

22 hours ago, Ffguy0087 said:

CL3VELANDBR0WNS is contrarian to the extreme for attention. In no way is HH an awful athlete who should only be a RZ option. His hands are incredible, and his ability to get open in the NFL was there from day one. He needs more looks in that offense.

Wrong again. 
Nothing extreme about saying a TE will be good, not great in the NFL. 
It's all relative of course but Henry is a below average athlete.
He could be reminiscent of Tyler Eifert in terms of utilization though due to the perimeter threats the team has. 
Double digit TDs with minimal yardage is still enough to be a TE1.

Edited by CL3VELANDBR0WNS
39 minutes ago, CL3VELANDBR0WNS said:

Wrong again. 
Nothing extreme about saying a TE will be good, not great in the NFL. 
It's all relative of course but Henry is a below average athlete.
He could be reminiscent of Tyler Eifert in terms of utilization though due to the perimeter threats the team has. 
Double digit TDs with minimal yardage is still enough to be a TE1.

Just having a conversation here -

While he graded out as a below average athlete at the combine there were some mitigating factors that might have skewed perception of him as a prospect:

- his young age as he was only 21 at the time of the combine.  Athletes that young haven't maxed out yet and can easily add strength  (affecting their Sparq score).

- his 96th percentile breakout age in the SEC is outstanding.  In fact,  I haven't been able to find a better breakout age for a TE in a power five conference.

- his 71st percentile YPR in the SEC at such a young age is also impressive.

Combine the above with what he did on the field last year as a 21 year old rookie,  posting a top 5 production rate, and it appears that his grasp of the nuance of the game (backed by his breakout age) was overlooked entering the NFL.

42 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

While he graded out as a below average athlete at the combine there were some mitigating factors that might have skewed perception of him as a prospect:

- his young age as he was only 21 at the time of the combine.  Athletes that young haven't maxed out yet and can easily add strength  (affecting their Sparq score).

- his 96th percentile breakout age in the SEC is outstanding.  In fact,  I haven't been able to find a better breakout age for a TE in a power five conference.

Combine the above with what he did on the field last year as a 21 year old rookie,  posting a top 5 production rate, and it appears that his grasp of the nuance of the game (backed by his breakout age) was overlooked entering the NFL.

You beat me to it and wrote it out a lot better than I could have. 

50 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

His YPT/YPR has been relatively impressive in college and as a rookie and that bodes well for his value on an offense that has many mouths to feed but I still see him best as a red zone animal. You could say that about a lot of good TEs.

In one dynasty league I might even acquire him as he is on the block. The other owner does tend to be delusional (traded Coleman and AB for late round rookie picks but drives a hard bargain for run of the mill players) but I think I'd be willing to give my RB3/4 for his services right now. (I do have Gronk so it would be mostly a future investment)

Edited by CL3VELANDBR0WNS
13 hours ago, CL3VELANDBR0WNS said:

"His YPT/YPR has been relatively impressive in college and as a rookie and that bodes well for his value on an offense that has many mouths to feed but I still see him best as a red zone animal. You could say that about a lot of good TEs. In one dynasty league I might even acquire him as he is on the block. The other owner does tend to be delusional (traded Coleman and AB for late round rookie picks but drives a hard bargain for run of the mill players) but I think I'd be willing to give my RB3/4 for his services right now. (I do have Gronk so it would be mostly a future investment)"

If I was in a keeper league, I'd get him too. For a guy his size, he runs really well. The vast majority are straight-line long-striders with build up speed. He's not as physical as a lot of starters, but he's going to be a very good receiving TE. The only thing not mentioned in the evaluations is whether he aggressively goes and gets the football, snatches it, plucks it out of the air. Great hands, excellent catch radius. In standard scoring, no other NFL team got the production that the Chargers did from the TE position (Gates/Henry), Washington was second. As mentioned, the only concern is when he assumes the bulk of the volume.      

Edited by markrc99
2 hours ago, markrc99 said:

If I was in a keeper league, I'd get him too. For a guy his size, he runs really well. The vast majority are straight-line long-striders with build up speed. He's not as physical as a lot of starters, but he's going to be a very good receiving TE. The only thing not mentioned in the evaluations is whether he aggressively goes and gets the football, snatches it, plucks it out of the air. Great hands, excellent catch radius. In standard scoring, no other NFL team got the production that the Chargers did from the TE position (Gates/Henry), Washington was second. As mentioned, the only concern is when he assumes the bulk of the volume.      

His catch radius and arm length is actually well below average.
Good set of hands though and Rivers can hit them.

You're right that Henry's arm length isn't that of others, which is relevant to catch radius. But so are a lot of other factors; besides great hands, he has the flexibility to elevate & high point the overthrown ball. Or, lay out and dig it out of the ditch. Excellent at tracking the ball and making the necessary adjustments. Does it in traffic, does it when the reception is contested! You may also want to consider that he was an early entry, high football IQ.  

Edited by markrc99

I like him a lot in keeper/dynasty leagues and as a late round add next season. But I still think Gates is going to be involved as they work to get him the record for TE TD's. After next season, Henry should dominate though. Making him an ideal buy low candidate in keeper/dynasty leagues next season.

On February 28, 2017 at 6:11 PM, CL3VELANDBR0WNS said:

Horribly bad athletes don't make it at skill positions in the NFL.

On March 1, 2017 at 4:26 PM, 96mnc said:

His actual production on a per pass basis last year was top 5 in the NFL.  That's outstanding for anyone but especially a 21 year old rookie.

I enjoyed having him when Gates was out last year, and am grateful for Gates coming back, because it will keep his '17 price down.  I will target him as a high return TE2

2 hours ago, psygolf said:

"I enjoyed having him when Gates was out last year, and am grateful for Gates coming back, because it will keep his '17 price down. I will target him as a high return TE2"

Could you rephrase? I ask because I feel Henry's too high to be rostered as a 2nd TE & his TE1 potential uncertain. Is he your starter? Perhaps you add a Jared Cook late?

2 minutes ago, markrc99 said:

Could you rephrase? I ask because I feel Henry's too high to be rostered as a 2nd TE & his TE1 potential uncertain. Is he your starter? Perhaps you add a Jared Cook late?

You are not asking me to rephrase anything, you are asking me to repeat myself.