NBC Sports Edge Forums

Hunter Henry 2017 Season Outlook

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody else firing him up?  Chargers have achieved an 0-4 record partly because they allotted significant snaps, routes run, and targets to Antonio Gates, a man who no longer scares defenses.  Lynn has said they will expand Henry's role.  And the Giants can't seem to cover the TE.  This might be the week...

2 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Anybody else firing him up?  Chargers have achieved an 0-4 record partly because they allotted significant snaps, routes run, and targets to Antonio Gates, a man who no longer scares defenses.  Lynn has said they will expand Henry's role.  And the Giants can't seem to cover the TE.  This might be the week...

He flashed with that one handed grab last week, Gates has been terrible, and he has a favorable schedule ROS. Moreover, the Chargers need to mix things up a bit to jumpstart their season. It's time to pick up Henry if he's been dropped, as well as play him if you have him.

36 minutes ago, Anteater99 said:

Does anyone have snap %'s over the first 4 weeks, gates and henry? Trying to find out if there is a trend we can ascertain.

Almost identical last 3 weeks. First week Gates was significantly higher trying to get the record. 

Gates: 39,32,40,36

Henry: 23,33,41,35

Might be a year too early on Henry. I don’t see them going away from Gates as long as they are mathematically in the playoff race. Rivers loves him. Even then Gates will still see some snaps if he is healthy. Not to mention Kennan Allen being back is certainly hurting Henry’s value. 

Edited by alleyce
55 minutes ago, Anteater99 said:

Does anyone have snap %'s over the first 4 weeks, gates and henry? Trying to find out if there is a trend we can ascertain.

Snap Percentages:

Gates: 66%, 55%, 55%, 63%

Henry: 39%, 57%, 56%, 61%

Target Percentages:

Gates: 12%

Henry: 15%

Touch Percentages:

Gates: 6%

Henry: 13%

While Gates is getting a small percent more snaps, Henry is getting more targets and touches.

Just now, Kilo said:

Snap Percentages:

Gates: 66%, 55%, 55%, 63%

Henry: 39%, 57%, 56%, 61%

Target Percentages:

Gates: 12%

Henry: 15%

Touch Percentages:

Gates: 6%

Henry: 13%

While Gates is getting a small percent more snaps, Henry is getting more targets and touches.

Great stats, thanks.  Do you have the red zone stats too? 

2 minutes ago, Kilo said:

Red Zone Targets per week:

Gates: 0,2,0,1

Henry: 0,1,0,1

Thanks.  Well, I guarantee both get RZ targets this week against Gmen. If I didn't have Ertz I would pick up either SD TE and play one of them. Men STINK against TE, period. 

Henry's 11 targets total for 4 games really is upsetting. The guy is a beast. 

Edited by TennisMenace
1 minute ago, TennisMenace said:

Thanks.  Well, I guarantee both get RZ targets this week against Gmen. If I didn't have Ertz I would pick up either SD TE and play one of them. Men STINK against TE, period. 

I hope so.  My TE position has been my weak point this year.  I would really like to see Henry take over.

Hunter Henry is definitely the one with the most upside, as he can rack up yardage, as well as touchdowns, whereas Antonio Gates is a touchdown-or-bust player at this stage in his career. Henry played a season-high 61 percent of snaps in Week 4, so maybe we’re seeing a change of the guard?

Week 5 Primer

There isn’t a better matchup for tight ends, but figuring out which Bolts tight end will capitalize is a weekly conundrum. My bet is on Henry, who ran a season-high 25 routes in last week’s loss. Gates is entirely touchdown-or-bust with zero games above 30 yards.

Week 5 Matchups

Edited by Red Dog
1 hour ago, Swinger said:

Henry played 76% of the snaps in week 5

Gates played 53% of the snaps in week 5

Is see a trend

8 targets in week 5 for Henry...very nice.

I just picked him up after engram's zero last week...he was the last decent TE left on waivers, so thought I was better off having some insurance with the way Giants players are dropping like flies. I'd be confident to start him most weeks

I am ALL in on this guy. Fading chargers have no choice but to start evaluting future talent like HH and let gates take a back seat. 

Hunter Henry, LAC, TE – Sitting at 0-4 to start the season, it’s high time the Chargers started looking to the future, moving Henry to the forefront in the TE platoon with Antonio Gates. By snap count measurements, I guess you could say the transition has already begun – after trailing in combined snap count over the first two games by a tally of 71-56, Henry has played even time with Gates the past two games (76 to 76).  If the trend continues in that direction, Henry is going to see a healthy workload over the next four weeks against the NY Giants, Denver, Oakland and New England, teams ranked among the nine most generous to the TE position – they have combined to allow 12 TE touchdowns thus far.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/74827/530/gurley-all-or-nothing?pg=2

Edited by dannyz6969