NBC Sports Edge Forums

Hunter Henry 2017 Season Outlook

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been watching this thread....Currently have Henry in my 14 team league.  We don't start TE's though....Just 3 WR/TE....So TE's aren't a hot commodity at all in my league.  Basically, Henry's production last year was the equivalent of about the #60 overall WR....Guys like R Cobb, Terrance Williams, Travis Benjamin, etc...

I think Henry is talented and is a guy that could blow up if given the opportunity.  I mean, look at the TE position in SD over the years with Gates...Always productive.  Look at last year...If you combine Gates and Henry you would have a Gronk like TE.

I guess the key is really Gates.  If he's playing, it probably limits Henry's upside.  It also doesn't help that K Allen is back running those underneath routes.  My guess is that if Gates and Allen stay healthy, Henry probably has a similar season to last year.

However, if 37 year old Gates is out of the lineup for nay reason, Henry becomes at top 5 TE IMO.

I've been debating if I want to carry Henry....Thinking about guys like E Engram or C Kupp....But I haven't convinced myself to drop him yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder how well will do in the opening game against Den. He did quite well in his 1st game last year and nothing in the 2nd. New HC and DC for Den this yr. Here is an interesting article on DEN's safeties ....

https://www.milehighreport.com/2017/9/2/16246490/film-study-why-the-broncos-defense-will-be-fine-without-tj-ward

I've explained this before in the tight end sleeper thread but he's the backup receiving option to Gates at the TE position. What do you expect? They have Keenan Tyrell and Benjamin all healthy. That leaves room for only Gates to play outside. Henry's a great blocker so he stays in and blocks. Henry was the most overrated TE going into this year. Once Gates is gone wheels up. Gates looked slow though. 

Just now, FantasyGOAT said:

My only TE can't be having these kind of weeks, droppable?

Well you certainly can't start him again until he proves otherwise.  At this point it's all about how full your bench is.  You may have to drop him. 

2 minutes ago, boltup15 said:

I've explained this before in the tight end sleeper thread but he's the backup receiving option to Gates at the TE position. What do you expect? They have Keenan Tyrell and Benjamin all healthy. That leaves room for only Gates to play outside. Henry's a great blocker so he stays in and blocks. Henry was the most overrated TE going into this year. Once Gates is gone wheels up. Gates looked slow though. 

Well judging by how efficient he was last year in the redzone and how the guy runs nice routes and has great hands a lot of people figured he'd outplay his way ahead of Gates. 

Just now, Pigskingpin said:

Well judging by how efficient he was last year in the redzone and how the guy runs nice routes and has great hands a lot of people figured he'd outplay his way ahead of Gates. 

That would be applying logic vs. the world of head coaching correct?

I have no shares of Henry. Avoided him for the simple fact that Gates was still in the picture. I didn't understand the high optimism given what we have seen historically with both Henry and Green. With that said, I am stunned that this guy did not receive a single target. I completely forgot he existed until midway through the fourth quarter when he randomly popped in my head and I went to check the box score to see if he did anything.

2 minutes ago, Pigskingpin said:

How could he? Gates is one of the best tight ends of all time. At best he's splitting snaps out wide. But Henry lines up with the o-line because Lynn loves to run. You guys were betting on another extremely efficient year... 

5 minutes ago, boltup15 said:

Pretty much it.  It's not all about Gates.  Philip has alot of options...Allen, Williams, Gordon, Benjamin..then TEs after from what it looks like.  I suppose he is a drop after all. 

Just absolutely stunning.

Henry was my target if Rudolph/Eifert/Walker/Ertz were all gone late. Luckily one of them was always available, but I feel for Henry owners right now.

He showed so much last year you had to think his role would grow more, even with Keenan coming back.

On 3/7/2017 at 7:09 AM, jmausen said:

http://www.espn.com/fantasy/football/story/_/id/18836137/fantasy-football-matthew-berry-10-things-learned-nfl-combine-2017-season

Per Matthew Berry regarding the combine:

" Finally, I spoke with another Chargers' offensive assistant who said Hunter Henry could have had 10 to 12 touchdowns last year (he finished with 8). He mentioned there was a deliberate effort to get Antonio Gates the record (for touchdowns by a tight end). He ended up tying it, but the coach said this year, there will be no such effort. Gates will break it when he breaks it. In the meantime, the sky is the limit for Henry. They love him there and so does Rivers. "

On 5/31/2017 at 5:59 AM, joshua18 said:

Most overvalued TE in fantasy right now. Especially in dynasty. 

Gates isn't dead yet...