NBC Sports Edge Forums

Hunter Henry 2017 Season Outlook

4 minutes ago, jtbgator said:

Wanted to hold HH but dumped him for Clay. Can't wait around. Gimme the 9 targets with Clay. LAC WR's are all healthy. Think I swung and missed on HH.

I did the same but ended up with Brate instead. As much as it might backfire down the line, I just can't afford to wait and see while he gets me 0's and Gates being there will always be an issue.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, NBatum88 said:

For what it's worth, I'm holding him for one more week

Same. An n of 1 may be the start of a pattern or it may be an aberration. I'm concerned but its hard to react from just one game. I' had another year where my week 1 TE was Jared Cook and he went wild with big yards and a TD in week 1 and then never showed up again. Maybe Hunter Henry does a reverse Jared Cook :-)

Once again - Gates had 17 yards. I'm failing to see the difference other than 17 yards. 17 yards indicates a general lack of interest in using the TE position for anything other than blocking.

I did learn that neither TE is worth a damn v DEN.

4 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

Once again - Gates had 17 yards. I'm failing to see the difference other than 17 yards. 17 yards indicates a general lack of interest in using the TE position for anything other than blocking.

I did learn that neither TE is worth a damn v DEN.

I could be wrong, but isn't Denver generally pretty good at defending TEs? The Chargers offense overall struggled. I'm going to just write this week off and give Henry at least one more chance. He was excellent last year.

Actually Broncos have holes up the middle but regardless people that drafted Henry knew it was going to be a waiting game so no big deal.  Only rookie (FFB) or shallow leaguers think TE are all the same.  Most people rostering Henry should be rostering 2 TE's anyway and of course play in larger leagues.  We drafted him to wait for Gates to do his thing.  If you think that's nuts then your probably in a shallow (smaller)league where you don't have to worry about the position in the first place. 

To not even be targeted once is completely unacceptable.  Can't have that happen to your starting TE.  Dropped him for Brate.  No more byes and I can't see a game where  Winston doesn't look his way once.

Good luck to those that hold.  You're better men than me.

45 minutes ago, Biw said:

To not even be targeted once is completely unacceptable.  Can't have that happen to your starting TE.  Dropped him for Brate.  No more byes and I can't see a game where  Winston doesn't look his way once.

Good luck to those that hold.  You're better men than me.

Not trying to just single you out, but I've seen a couple in this thread mention they dropped Henry for Brate - isn't that just getting into another TE timeshare situation with OJ Howard?  Brate 2016 had all the passing downs to himself, but I feel like 2017 we're going to see some games where Brate eats, and others where Howard is targeted more often.  Could be wrong of course though.

On Henry, I'm with some of the last posters in that I'm holding another week.  I have other options and didn't start his donut last week, so I'm probably a bit less salty than some, but I'd rather hold another week and see if this was just a game planning aberration vs. DEN, or the new norm.  If he has another week with very few (or no) targets then it's safe to say the new coaching staff will be throwing much less to the TE's.  But on the other hand, all it would take is one big week from Henry and he could make himself a go-to option in the passing game / RZ.  

I'm chalking HH 0 as a stud Denver defense issue. I didn't draft HH but if anyone watched the game LAC were struggling until the 4 Qtr. I watched closely b/c my opponent had Melvin Gordon. To make a decision to cut any player after 1 week is premature. Now after this week and week 3, then I can see dropping. We all see the talent in HH, just have to see where he fits in the offense with e1 healthy.

1 hour ago, handyandy86 said:

Not trying to just single you out, but I've seen a couple in this thread mention they dropped Henry for Brate - isn't that just getting into another TE timeshare situation with OJ Howard?  Brate 2016 had all the passing downs to himself, but I feel like 2017 we're going to see some games where Brate eats, and others where Howard is targeted more often.  Could be wrong of course though.

On Henry, I'm with some of the last posters in that I'm holding another week.  I have other options and didn't start his donut last week, so I'm probably a bit less salty than some, but I'd rather hold another week and see if this was just a game planning aberration vs. DEN, or the new norm.  If he has another week with very few (or no) targets then it's safe to say the new coaching staff will be throwing much less to the TE's.  But on the other hand, all it would take is one big week from Henry and he could make himself a go-to option in the passing game / RZ.  

I just don't think Howard in his rookie season is a big threat on Brate's looks.  And even if he is, there's less mouths to feed in TB.  Between Allen, Williams, Bejamin, Gordon, and Gates, I can see more games where Henry gets no looks.  He also doesn't have the rapport with Rivers that Brate and Winston has.  

8 minutes ago, boltup15 said:

I just don't understand why anyone would draft a backup tight end in fantasy...

Tied for most TD's by a TE last season, on a team that threw 15 TD's to their TE's, and is in a timeshare with a dinosaur of a TE that logically should be on the pine.  

In a nutshell, upside.  

5 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

Tied for most TD's by a TE last season, on a team that threw 15 TD's to their TE's, and is in a timeshare with a dinosaur of a TE that logically should be on the pine.  

In a nutshell, upside.  

So you expected extreme efficiency again and hopefully more than 36 receptions for 476 yards in a redraft league before players like Jason Witten, Gates himself, Charles Clay, etc. 

1 minute ago, boltup15 said:

So you expected extreme efficiency again and hopefully more than 36 receptions for 476 yards in a redraft league before players like Jason Witten, Gates himself, Charles Clay, etc. 

Oh come on no one is expecting Top 3 TE production and I don't think it is outlandish to believe a second year player moves forward in progression with his usage, understanding of the NFL to progress him forward after a suitable first year. 

If no one believe that players improved or regressed every fantasy draft would be the same every year. 

1 minute ago, Pooskay said:

Gates will get phased out once SD loses more games. They'll realize a 37-year old TE is not doing them any good.

Speed and youth wins in today's league.

Rivers loves his guys.

He will keep vouching for Gates, atleast until he break every TE record.

I drafted HH this year, since he was one of the darling preseason upside TE's. But after watching MNF, for the first time in a long time it seems Rivers has healthy pass catchers. Keenan, Tyrell, Benjamin all looked crisp. Throw in a very undervalued and underrated Gordon (he looked great last week) I think HH takes a backseat this year on this offense. I'm questioning whether or not I made the right move in dropping him but such is FF life. Best of luck to those that are holding.

8 minutes ago, boltup15 said:

I expected Henry to eat into Gates' target share more this year than last year, yes.  I also expected to see some improvement in a second year player over regression from walking corpses like Gates and Witten, yes.  And his "extreme efficiency" came primarily because he was targeted a lot in the RZ - this isn't a fluke, it's part of the game plan.

If I was drafting an "all safe" team then I would have drafted Witten and been happy with my 5-10 pts per week.  At the point in the draft where HH went, I was shooting for the upside of someone that could do more than that.  I won't be shocked if he doesn't work out, but I'd still rather take that shot than settle for the mediocrity of a Gates or Witten.

19 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

In a nutshell, upside.  

I dont disagree, I owned him on the cheap in a keeper auction league, but I was honestly never that excited about it.  Why?  In part because of Gates, its just the classic well respected Vet hanging around (alligator blood) muddling up the picture, add to that the return of their No.1 WR, who has been a pretty decent TD producer, so there go some of those red-zone looks AND they use a top 10 pick on another WR, who I realize is hurt now, but at some point will be there to cloudy the picture.  So when someone asked for him in a deal, I was not all that reluctant to toss him in. 

Mike McCoy is gone and so is his offense and strategies on attacking Denver's D.  Agree with those who say Hunter should have a larger role in the future.  I think Gates eats again this week to break Gonzales record, and after that is limited mostly to a red zone role, which unfortunately caps Hunter's potential until Gates gets hobbled.

Edited by Red Dog
23 minutes ago, parrothead said:

I dont disagree, I owned him on the cheap in a keeper auction league, but I was honestly never that excited about it.  Why?  In part because of Gates, its just the classic well respected Vet hanging around (alligator blood) muddling up the picture, add to that the return of their No.1 WR, who has been a pretty decent TD producer, so there go some of those red-zone looks AND they use a top 10 pick on another WR, who I realize is hurt now, but at some point will be there to cloudy the picture.  So when someone asked for him in a deal, I was not all that reluctant to toss him in. 

I completely agree - I'm not and have never been super excited about HH, but when you're sitting in the 12th or 13th round of a draft and your choices are between upside plays like Henry or the poopoo platter of Witten, Gates, Fleener, etc. I prefer the upside.  I was just responding to the comment about "who would draft a backup TE?"

Gates will get phased out once SD loses more games. They'll realize a 37-year old TE is not doing them any good.

I expect Gates to start getting phased out once he gets the TD record.  I believe they will feed him till then.

Edited by Dr. Dumas
22 minutes ago, Dr. Dumas said:

I expect Gates to start getting phased out once he gets the TD record.  I believe they will feed him till then.

You would think that would be the case.  The fact is though, Henry played just 23 snaps to Gates' 39 in week 1.  We'll assume that a shift will begin after Gates gets his record, or irregardless. But even then, Henry owners have to endure what looks to be a terribly slow start in hopes that a shift will even occur.  At the very least, Henry is unstartable. 

Why do the "experts" fall for this crap year after year?  And why do we buy in, too?

its like they just wish away Gates when they do their rankings bc they love yet another "star in the making."  

Even now it's "don't panic, don't drop, hold hold hold!"

Gimme a break. Fool me once, twice, thrice...ugh.