NBC Sports Edge Forums

Brandin Cooks 2017 Season Outlook

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Vegemite2 said:

I'm happy with his production and involvement, what is with this thread. People must've had moss-type expectations. He's not as good as Moss.

I don't think it was rational but I understand where these ultra high expectations come from. Cooks may not be Moss but he is one of the most talented WR Brady has gotten and Brady has made a career of turning previously unheralded guys into big time performers. Moss is one of the few data points of Brady getting a guy that was already very good and Brady was able to make the most of him. People thought maybe the same could be true with Cooks and things definitely peaked once Edelman went down leaving a hole in the offense. Rationale thinking and looking at the style of WR Edelman is and the style Cooks is would've suggested that a more slot guy like Amendola or Hogan would've benefitted more from Edelman's injury than Cooks who is more a vertical threat but I think a lot of people got caught up in the opportunity to be the #1/#2 option in Brady's offense for a guy already with arguably more raw talent than Edelman. Brady's aging is something many didn't factor in as well. He doesn't have the same arm strength to consistently take advantage of a vertical threat any longer which is why he relies more on the dink and dunk passes. 

Cooks still has played very well in both PPR and Standard formats and is far from a bust and even not as disappointing as other top WR have been (Cooper is extreme case but even a guy like Julio Jones has done worse). He will lack consistency which is frustrating and won't be the target hog other top WR are which will make owning him frustrating at times but he is still a top weapon in a top offense. Things are still early so there is an outside chance Brady and Cooks get a better connection or they find a better way to use Cooks that still uses his talents and doesn't force Brady to throw long vertical throws as often. However, I think what we see now is about what we can expect from Cooks and he'll have a few mediocre games with the occasional massive day which will overall lead to him still being a backend WR1/ high WR2 from an overall point perspective even though on a weekly basis he'll be a WR3 most weeks and a top 3 WR a few weeks.   

Edited by Jaw1
2 hours ago, Jaw1 said:

I don't think it was rational but I understand where these ultra high expectations come from. Cooks may not be Moss but he is one of the most talented WR Brady has gotten and Brady has made a career of turning previously unheralded guys into big time performers. Moss is one of the few data points of Brady getting a guy that was already very good and Brady was able to make the most of him. People thought maybe the same could be true with Cooks and things definitely peaked once Edelman went down leaving a hole in the offense. Rationale thinking and looking at the style of WR Edelman is and the style Cooks is would've suggested that a more slot guy like Amendola or Hogan would've benefitted more from Edelman's injury than Cooks who is more a vertical threat but I think a lot of people got caught up in the opportunity to be the #1/#2 option in Brady's offense for a guy already with arguably more raw talent than Edelman. Brady's aging is something many didn't factor in as well. He doesn't have the same arm strength to consistently take advantage of a vertical threat any longer which is why he relies more on the dink and dunk passes. 

Cooks still has played very well in both PPR and Standard formats and is far from a bust and even not as disappointing as other top WR have been (Cooper is extreme case but even a guy like Julio Jones has done worse). He will lack consistency which is frustrating and won't be the target hog other top WR are which will make owning him frustrating at times but he is still a top weapon in a top offense. Things are still early so there is an outside chance Brady and Cooks get a better connection or they find a better way to use Cooks that still uses his talents and doesn't force Brady to throw long vertical throws as often. However, I think what we see now is about what we can expect from Cooks and he'll have a few mediocre games with the occasional massive day which will overall lead to him still being a backend WR1/ high WR2 from an overall point perspective even though on a weekly basis he'll be a WR3 most weeks and a top 3 WR a few weeks.   

I think this is actually spot on, aside from the part about Brady's ageing affecting Cooks' value. He is still going deep when necessary and I don't see much loss of strength. The Patriots have always played an in/under offense with lots of crossing routes and this year is no different. Moreover, a lot of Cooks' big catches come from more intermediate catches which he then burns the DB's and turns into big gains/TD's.

Cooks seems to be not too much different from last year and his stats would indicate that. Some of his value is lost in his size because his skill-set doesn't allow him to perform the "Edelman role" but he then doesn't have the size to be a consistent red-zone target.

Did I hope to get a little more out of him? Yeah I did, but am I complaining about his production? No, not at all. He has been solid without completely lighting it up and he will still have those massive games that will win you weeks.  

4 hours ago, Jordan23 said:

Where did you draft him?  He went 2.24 I'm my league.  I got Hogan for free.  If you drafted him in the middle rounds, I guess i'd be content also.  

I drafted him at the end of the 2nd round. Here is some WR's that went after him in the next few rounds: TY Hilton, Hopkins, Crabtree, Baldwin, Cooper, Dem Thomas, Jeffrey.
I don't know about you but the only player I would take over him at this point is maybe Hopkins but he hasn't exactly been shooting out the lights either.

I think Cooks in this thread is a victim of high expectations but the reality is that the WR position is inconsistent. It was also drafted quite high and early this year because of the dip in guaranteed RB talent, so a receiver at the bottom of the 2nd is like the 10th WR to go whereas in years gone past you might be able to pick top 5. 

I would of course prefer a bit more out of him consistently but I am not at all down on him and will continue to roll him out every week.

I'm not sure why anyone thought differently of cooks. He's essentially desean 2.0. Coaches use him to stretch the field and bring a safety with him opening things up for others. BB isn't stupid. He knows this and is using him that way. He's always going to be a roller coaster ride every week just like DeSean Jackson. Always.

Edited by montgrove
8 minutes ago, smash10033 said:

This year has been a disaster for me.   4 boom or bust... Julio,  Diggs, Cooks and Hilton... when I drafted I had such high hopes.     I will be super excited after I go 0-6 when they start exploding !

Yeah, it's hard to win with 4 of those guys. I would look to trade one for some consistency. 

7 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:

I'm disappointed in the production. This guy is JAG on this Pats team. 

On pace for 1200 yards. How is that a disappointing production? He was being drafted somewhere around the 11th-12th WR off the board (late 2nd/early 3rd) after the likes of the Cooper/Dez/Baldwin group. He will likely finish around the low end WR1 group, so basically putting up production equal to where he was drafted. 

11 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:

I'm disappointed in the production. This guy is JAG on this Pats team. 

lol @ JAG. His yardage is there. Could he have another score? Sure but he's still going to finish around 1,200 yards or so. He still has the potential to score 2 TDs in a week and those will come.

4 minutes ago, ponchsox said:

lol @ JAG. His yardage is there. Could he have another score? Sure but he's still going to finish around 1,200 yards or so. He still has the potential to score 2 TDs in a week and those will come.

Just watching the game last night and they love the RBs and Hogan. Cooks get a few here and and a few there. Just not a focus of the offense. In any other offense this guy would be a weekly #1 WR. It's frustrating . I play in a .5 ppr so I'm feeling the burn. He's on pace for 58 catches...

Edited by OrangeCrush
2 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:

Just watching the game last night and they love the RBs and Hogan. Cooks get a few here and and a few there. Just not a focus of the offense. In any other offense this guy would be a weekly #1 WR. It's frustrating . I play in a .5 ppr so I'm feeling the burn. He's on pace for 58 catches...

Hogan is Jordy and Cooks is Davante Adams?

6 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:

Idk..  just not feeling him these days... lol I want the 2015 version of Cooks

You mean the version of cooks that scored one TD in his first 7 games and only went over 80 yards twice in the same stretch?

Again, this is nothing new with Cooks. We thought he would get more opportunities, but he isn't that doesn't make him a bust. He is doing the same stuff, and there is still room for him to improve. I really don't understand the negativity in this thread.

Edited by Vegemite2
6 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:

Idk..  just not feeling him these days... lol I want the 2015 version of Cooks

More like Hogan is a WR 1 like Evans

And cooks is a stretch the field boom or bust WR 2/3 like desean jackson.

Face it if you drafted cooks in the second round , you're going to be frustrated all season.

Let me add before people pounce on me. I'm not implying Hogan is Evans or has his value. I am saying that Winstons primary focus is getting the ball to Evans. Right now Brady's primary focus is to get the ball to Hogan especially in the end zone. Making Hogan the number one receiver on that team.

Cooks is the 3rd option after Gronk. 

Oh yeah and Amendola is there too. Again face reality Cooks again will disappoint in fantasy. You will win weeks with him and lose many more with him.

12 minutes ago, Vegemite2 said:

You mean the version of cooks that scored one TD in in his first 7 games and only went over 80 yards twice in the same stretch?

Again, this is nothing new with Cooks. We thought he would get more opportunities, but he isn't that doesn't make him a bust. He is doing the same stuff, and there is still room for him to improve. I really don't understand the negativity in this thread.

I think he has been a big dissapointment. Personally, after Edelman went down I thought he would be a sure fire locked in top 8 WR. With his ability and Brady I didn't see how he couldn't be a WR1 on a weekly basis. 

Maybe my expectations were too high but clearly they were one shared my many people both on this forums and the taking heads. 

With all that he is barely putting up weekly wr2 numbers in ppr.  Again. Maybe the bust factor comes from us all be too high on him but he is not doing what most people drafted him to do. Plain and simple 

Honestly, if I owned Cooks I would immediately sell him after his next good game. Whenever that may be. This is the Patriots offense this season. It's not like Cooks is going to all the sudden start turning out 20-point days towards the end of the season. Sell him while he still has value. You'll have to take a hit on price

9 minutes ago, montgrove said:

Honestly, if I owned Cooks I would immediately sell him after his next good game. Whenever that may be. This is the Patriots offense this season. It's not like Cooks is going to all the sudden start turning out 20-point days towards the end of the season. Sell him while he still has value. You'll have to take a hit on price

So why sell him when he is putting up production equal to his late 2nd/early 3rd round ADP (WR 10-12 off the board). Why take a "hit" on price, when you are getting what you paid for?