NBC Sports EDGE Forums

DeAndre Hopkins 2017 Season Outlook

elite

8 hours ago, dakimbell said:

if only pacman jones hadn't literally tackled him he would have had a monster night. I like what I am seeing, and think Watson will only improve. If they could get any semblance of a running game going it would really help his upside.

That would have been huge. But I am playing against AJ this week so maybe it won't hurt too much.

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, CABLE87 said:

This is the week where id consider sitting him, watson stares him down as the ball snaps, trust me when i say this, the pats are definitely going to take advantage of this and take hopkins out of the game...

i dont disagree with you, but pretty tough to bench the guy who leads the league in targets and the pats defense (although known for taking out the opposing teams best weapon) is not quite as intimidating as in the past.  

My thoughts on this game: I'm apprehensive as a Hopkins owner. Less about Hopkins ability to get his (he's an elite talent, the whole "Pats take away the best option" is a bit overblown: everybody tries to take away the best option, especially when you're playing the Texans and everyone knows they're locking onto Hopkins). I'm concerned about Watson.

The Pats are great at playing mind games and confusing with zone blitzes and coverage looks. Watson is very green a rookie who already looked overmatched passing the ball and didn't go through his progressions against a worse defense last week.  The Texans also know this, so my guess is the try to take the air out of the ball and try to win by running with Miller, Foreman and Watson. Wouldn't be surprised to see some zone-read stuff to keep the Pats on their heels. As someone mentioned above, the Texans defense might actually be good enough to hold off garbage time until late.

If you're playing Hop I think best case scenario is the Texans get down big early, Pats score a defensive TD on a pick 6 or something and by the third quarter they are playing soft and Hopkins can clean up in garbage time. Realistically, I think this is a floor game for Hopkins unless he gets a lucky garbage time score. Granted, his floor is fairly high, something like 5/55, but I'm not expecting a ton more than that. He's not a flat out sit, but he's more of a WR3 for me this week. I'm considering sitting for JJ Nelson. 

5 hours ago, '71 Bucks said:

My thoughts on this game: I'm apprehensive as a Hopkins owner. Less about Hopkins ability to get his (he's an elite talent, the whole "Pats take away the best option" is a bit overblown: everybody tries to take away the best option, especially when you're playing the Texans and everyone knows they're locking onto Hopkins). I'm concerned about Watson.

The Pats are great at playing mind games and confusing with zone blitzes and coverage looks. Watson is very green a rookie who already looked overmatched passing the ball and didn't go through his progressions against a worse defense last week.  The Texans also know this, so my guess is the try to take the air out of the ball and try to win by running with Miller, Foreman and Watson. Wouldn't be surprised to see some zone-read stuff to keep the Pats on their heels. As someone mentioned above, the Texans defense might actually be good enough to hold off garbage time until late.

If you're playing Hop I think best case scenario is the Texans get down big early, Pats score a defensive TD on a pick 6 or something and by the third quarter they are playing soft and Hopkins can clean up in garbage time. Realistically, I think this is a floor game for Hopkins unless he gets a lucky garbage time score. Granted, his floor is fairly high, something like 5/55, but I'm not expecting a ton more than that. He's not a flat out sit, but he's more of a WR3 for me this week. I'm considering sitting for JJ Nelson. 

" Hopkins has averaged just three receptions for 61 yards over three career games against the Patriots, and has yet to score a touchdown. " (http://houston.cbslocal.com/2017/09/22/start-emsit-em-fantasy-advice-for-week-3-2/ ) 

I think that's about what you can expect from him. I don't think hes going to have a great game but its hard to sit him for Jamison Crowder for instance, tough call.

Edited by BananaJoeMontana

It's going to be 90 degrees with very little wind by about 2:00pm Sunday. The Patriots play on synthetic turf. So the temperature on the field will be more than 100 degrees. The heat index could easily exceed 105 degrees. 

Maybe the team from Houston has a slight advantage in this game. Hopefully the Patriots defenders just get tired from chasing Hopkins all day long. Also, I wouldn't be shocked if this is a 'shortened' game and the patriots run Gilly up the gut 30 times. 

Just thinking

12 minutes ago, Kyle87 said:

Trying to get this guy everywhere i can.  QB looks like a huge upgrade this season.  Think we've been looking at his floor so far.

That's the big reason I drafted him...  If you remember 2 seasons ago, he was a stud with 3 below average QB's throwing to him.  Then Brock happened, who is another level of bad.  

I was hoping Watson would get in there sometime around the 3-4th week, having it happen in week 2 was a big plus.  Because he got some growing pains out of the way earlier.  I'll admit I was quite nervous watching that first game against Cincinnati, there was no way locking in on Hopkins 70% of the time was going to continue to work.

But the extra practice time before the Pats game really did him well, he's grown up a lot.  Now with Fuller back (hope he can stay healthy), the option is becoming more complex by the week, it won't be so easy to just double Hopkins all the time.