NBC Sports Edge Forums

David Peralta 2017 Outlook

8 minutes ago, det_tigers said:

Are you guys trying to sell high him?

I have an offer for him but not sure if I should move him or not.

Depends what the offer is, but I'm not. People likely won't give you what he's worth, and he's hitting 2nd in one of the best lineups

7 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

1) Not really, he's out of thenline-up more often v a lefty than not-

2) It really doesn't matter, because he's not likely to hit a lefty anyways, so he's better on the bench and being used late in game as PH

1.) He's not though. He just bats lower in the lineup.

2.) The new manager isn't Chip Hale who seemed to love playing matchups, so Peralta will be playing against them more often than not

Again, he currently is a full time player

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do people think having him sit against lefties is a knock against him?  I actually would prefer if they just bench him against lefties.  

It makes for an easy daily roster decision and keeps his stats up which could help his trade value if someone isn't paying close enough attention to counting stats.  

I guess in weekly leagues it's a downer, but him playing against lefties is going to impact the peripheral categories there anyway.  Let him sit I say! 

4 minutes ago, giggity said:

Why do people think having him sit against lefties is a knock against him?  I actually would prefer if they just bench him against lefties.  

It makes for an easy daily roster decision and keeps his stats up which could help his trade value if someone isn't paying close enough attention to counting stats.  

I guess in weekly leagues it's a downer, but him playing against lefties is going to impact the peripheral categories there anyway.  Let him sit I say! 

Because he hit .250 against them in 2015 which is perfectly fine. And he's currently hitting .287 against them this season.

1 hour ago, street sharks said:

Because he hit .250 against them in 2015 which is perfectly fine. And he's currently hitting .287 against them this season.

Well this season isn't really much to go off of yet.  If he went 0-3 in his next game against a lefty, he's down to .222.  His career splits are much more telling: 

vs R:  .314/.360/.520  in 832 ABs

vs L:  .226/.290/.351  in 208 ABs

Most people rostered Peralta as a 4th of 5th OF option so even if he played everyday against lefties, odds are you have a more capable OF to put in your lineup for days when he's facing a lefty.  

Having him sit makes the decision automatic and helps keep his peripherals up.  

3 minutes ago, giggity said:

Well this season isn't really much to go off of yet.  If he went 0-3 in his next game against a lefty, he's down to .222.  His career splits are much more telling: 

vs R:  .314/.360/.520  in 832 ABs

vs L:  .226/.290/.351  in 208 ABs

Most people rostered Peralta as a 4th of 5th OF option so even if he played everyday against lefties, odds are you have a more capable OF to put in your lineup for days when he's facing a lefty.  

Having him sit makes the decision automatic and helps keep his peripherals up.  

You never want your player to sit to make your decision easier. You should know your player's splits and adjust accordingly. When he sits, you gain nothing and lose flexibility. 

31 minutes ago, Random Dude said:

You never want your player to sit to make your decision easier. You should know your player's splits and adjust accordingly. When he sits, you gain nothing and lose flexibility. 

I dont think it's that definitive to say there's nothing to gain by having him sit occasionally. You could argue that having him sit every 5 or 6 games keeps him fresh.  And if he's not playing, the odds of him getting injured diminishes quickly on those days, almost to zero.  Further, his AVG/OBP/OPS stats won't take a hit because he's not facing a set of pitchers he just stinks against.  

I agree you should know your players splits and adjust accordingly.  I have him and O.Herrera on my team and I bench both against lefties, even though Herrera plays everyday.  I wouldn't mind having him sit against lefties though.  If you have a deep enough OF, you can easily handle a once or twice week DNP.  

11 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Wonder why he's sitting vs a righty today

Gotta be an injury. They had off yesterday, right? And then to sit vs a righty? Also tomorrow is a lefty? Not looking good for this week.

1 hour ago, street sharks said:

Wonder why he's sitting vs a righty today

Maybe because he simply ISN"T AN EVERYDAY PLAYER??

I kid, I kid--very strange ineed.

Not for today, but as stated above he's better off on the bench against lefties anyways. Which matters not so much in roto, but it's a downer in h2h points with weekly lineups. Esp when his div is awfully lefthanded.

1 hour ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Maybe because he simply ISN"T AN EVERYDAY PLAYER??

I kid, I kid--very strange ineed.

Not for today, but as stated above he's better off on the bench against lefties anyways. Which matters not so much in roto, but it's a downer in h2h points with weekly lineups. Esp when his div is awfully lefthanded.

Lol I should have seen this coming

44 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Only tweet I see says "feel better soon" so likely he is sick.  

He is sick. 

Manager Torey Lovullo says Peralta is the latest player to be taken by illness, and the club decided to have him stay at the hotel for at least the early afternoon.

“Peralta unfortunately is a little under the weather right now,” Lovullo said. “It might be a chance to see him later in the game, but we felt like we should give him some time away.”

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/mlb/diamondbacks/2017/05/02/diamondbacks-lineup-dbacks-starter-nationals-tuesday/309200001/?hootPostID=e32abfdfa358344087ecefa9f263d19e

He's definitely scuffling and I have to believe he's still not full physically after his sickness.  He just hit a shot out to the warning track off a lefty, and in that park in a nice lineup I'd really try to hang on...

6 minutes ago, Sun Tzu said:

He's definitely scuffling and I have to believe he's still not full physically after his sickness.  He just hit a shot out to the warning track off a lefty, and in that park in a nice lineup I'd really try to hang on...

agree...the flu zaps strength from you, hes on my bench right now

On 4/27/2017 at 6:02 PM, giggity said:

I dont think it's that definitive to say there's nothing to gain by having him sit occasionally. You could argue that having him sit every 5 or 6 games keeps him fresh.  And if he's not playing, the odds of him getting injured diminishes quickly on those days, almost to zero.  Further, his AVG/OBP/OPS stats won't take a hit because he's not facing a set of pitchers he just stinks against.  

I agree you should know your players splits and adjust accordingly.  I have him and O.Herrera on my team and I bench both against lefties, even though Herrera plays everyday.  I wouldn't mind having him sit against lefties though.  If you have a deep enough OF, you can easily handle a once or twice week DNP.  

Sitting today vs LHP. I have him on my bench but it's going to be tough for him to get back into rhythm if he never plays. 

I think he's the perfect OF 4/5. Expecting anything more was probably wishful thinking due to his inability to hit lefties and his GB rate which has always held him back a bit. When he's facing a RHP in Arizona/Colorado he's a must start. Maybe even facing a RHP period depending on your alternative, but especially when he's in those two ballparks. 

Edited by absknicks
56 minutes ago, absknicks said:

I think he's the perfect OF 4/5. Expecting anything more was probably wishful thinking due to his inability to hit lefties and his GB rate which has always held him back a bit. When he's facing a RHP in Arizona/Colorado he's a must start. Maybe even facing a RHP period depending on your alternative, but especially when he's in those two ballparks. 

I dunno.... He's turned into a complete platoon player. I'm considering dropping in a 10 team league because he's straight up only playing against righties.I'm not sure he's worth hanging on to for those specific matchups.