Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Carlos Hyde 2017 Season Outlook


Recommended Posts

According to a yahoo note: Advice: He also played 4-of-5 third-down snaps. Hyde didn't look like a natural running between the tackles in Kyle Shanahan's zone scheme, however, and he now has just 26 yards on ten carries this preseason. Nevertheless, as a current every-down back in a Shanahan offense, Hyde has value-pick appeal in the fifth round.

 

Can Hyde adapt and run in this scheme? If he starts the season slow and doesnt look "natural" running in KS's scheme.. do they start handing it off to Joe Williams?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the 2nd preseason game. A new coach came in and installed a completely new blocking scheme. What we've seen so far is not a finished product, but a work in progress. It's natural that there's growing pains, and the preseason is precisely the time to suffer them. 

 

Don't forget that Atlanta looked like utter dog s--- in the preseason last year under Shanny. Real football starts and, guess what, the kiddie gloves came off. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Mahomet said:

It's the 2nd preseason game. A new coach came in and installed a completely new blocking scheme. What we've seen so far is not a finished product, but a work in progress. It's natural that there's growing pains, and the preseason is precisely the time to suffer them. 

 

Don't forget that Atlanta looked like utter dog s--- in the preseason last year under Shanny. Real football starts and, guess what, the kiddie gloves came off. 

Don't forget- the Atlanta team we saw last season was a couple years in the making.   Complicated zone systems take time and the right personnel to blossom.  It's not an instant win button- although we will hopefully see some signs of progress throughout the season.       

 

Hyde just needs volume and a role- whether that's running or receiving- regardless of score and he will be a good bet for rb1. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cardinals front 4 on D overrated this year IMO. losing a tree in the middle that anchors everything is a pretty big deal. 

 

I think the cards have a pretty sick secondary though and linebackers that can cover TEs. 

 

I'm not a head coach creating game plans or anything, but on paper to me it looks like the easiest way to attack this defense is going to be on the ground. Insert Carlos Hyde 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The exchanges below are from Shanahan's presser this morning.  I view the statements in italics as the take-away: 

 

I know it’s a small sample size, but RB Carlos Hyde is averaging 2.6 yards per carry through two preseason games. What’s your level of concern and how do you diagnose what the issues have been with that first unit and the running game?

 

“I just look at what happened on the runs he had. Off the top of my head I think there’s one run in particular that I thought the O-Line blocked it for about a four-yard gain and he got about one yard. Just trying to do too much on one play, which happens a lot with a running back. There was one play I think he left about three yards on the field. After that, his other looks I didn’t think were very good. We’ve got to do better with all 11 guys to give him a chance to improve that yards per carry.”

 

When you say his looks weren’t good, do you mean blocking-wise?

 

“Yeah, it truly takes 11 guys to run the ball. He had a great opportunity on the first play of the game, we were just a hair off, for a couple of reasons. Had an opportunity to get a big one, and I think he ended up getting one yard. It wasn’t until play 19 we got the exact same look and the next time we were just a little bit more on and he got seven yards versus the same look. It wasn’t much of a difference. It was one step by one player. So, that’s what football is that not everyone realizes about. It takes 11 guys to execute a play. Usually the guy who has the ball in his hand is the one who’s rewarded or blamed, but I’ve been happy with Carlos’ reps in the preseason. I definitely want to do better. I want to score every time we call a play, so I’m usually disappointed if it doesn’t end in a touchdown. But, he’s done a good job for us.”

 

What did you see from Hyde during his three quality runs at the end of the first half against Denver? He has a six-yarder, a seven-yarder and then a seven-yarder. What did you see from him during those three runs?

 

“We blocked well and he got to the right hole. When contact hit him at five yards he fell for two more. I thought he got exactly what we blocked for and got a little bit more after it.”

 

Edited by Rolling Thunder
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

What u mean? 

 He has a TD and mucho involvement 

 

Was checking his rushing stats for tonight. Box score showed 7 for 19 yards, just got home and watching the second half. Just thought he would have been more than that on the ground. I am happy to see he had some burn in the passing game. That is a great sign.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

 

Was checking his rushing stats for tonight. Box score showed 7 for 19 yards, just got home and watching the second half. Just thought he would have been more than that on the ground. I am happy to see he had some burn in the passing game. That is a great sign.

Yeah he was workhorse status tonight.  

Good show from niners 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, burninglegs said:

 

Was checking his rushing stats for tonight. Box score showed 7 for 19 yards, just got home and watching the second half. Just thought he would have been more than that on the ground. I am happy to see he had some burn in the passing game. That is a great sign.

 

Just want to put a couple notes on about last night

1) Staley left after 1 series due knee precaution. Staley has a 83 Madden rating, John Theus has about 22. 

2) LG Beadles will be replaced by 1st round pick Josh Garnett in about 1-3 weeks due to a knee scooe. On last night's telecast, Collinsworth's PFF had Beadles as the 2nd worst G in the league.

3) Vikings are always tough to run on.

4) As the front page of RotoW says, Breida is the cuff for Hyde. This has been hinted at by beat writers since spring camp. Important with Hyde's running style (boom stick baby!).

Edited by bbythepier
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think with Shanahan there, Hyde could easily double his receptions or at least approach 50.

 

It was pretty evident in the pre season game yesterday what the plan is and if it is anything close, Hyde may be a PPR RB1 for a few years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, dlionsfan901 said:

In a 12 man PPR what round do you guys think Hyde would need to be taken?

 

I'm comfortable taking him in 4th rd depending on how my draft starts out but could see scenarios where i would reach for him in 3rd, say like the 3rd/4th wrap around

Edited by dashoe
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, dlionsfan901 said:

In a 12 man PPR what round do you guys think Hyde would need to be taken?

Had my draft last night, took Hyde at 39 overall, 4.03. He was the 18th RB off the board.12-man PPR. In the mocks I had been doing I wasn't able to get him at 34 even, so definitely a pleasant surprise. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I ended up taking him 26 overall (top of 3rd round).

 

A view Hyde as one of the last valuable RBs. Once you get to guys like TY, CMC, Mixon, CJA, and etc things become a little difficult. Since I wouldn't pick again until 47 I was in no way comfortable with any of those guys as my RB2 especially in standard. Allen Robinson for instance as WR 2 >>>>>>>> CJA as RB2.

 

That being said, while 26 is a reach in a sense Hyde is a great RB2. He is a talented guy and if he can stay healthy he is a very very good bet for RB1. 16 game pace last year was RB13. @Rolling Thunder most likely knows a lot more about the situation but I think his situation this year is far improved than last year. My biggest question is the line.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

I ended up taking him 26 overall (top of 3rd round).

 

A view Hyde as one of the last valuable RBs. Once you get to guys like TY, CMC, Mixon, CJA, and etc things become a little difficult. Since I wouldn't pick again until 47 I was in no way comfortable with any of those guys as my RB2 especially in standard. Allen Robinson for instance as WR 2 >>>>>>>> CJA as RB2.

 

That being said, while 26 is a reach in a sense Hyde is a great RB2. He is a talented guy and if he can stay healthy he is a very very good bet for RB1. 16 game pace last year was RB13. @Rolling Thunder most likely knows a lot more about the situation but I think his situation this year is far improved than last year. My biggest question is the line.

 

I have Hyde ranked top 3rd round in 12 team PPR, ahead of all the guys you mention, except maybe CMC (whose floor and likely consistency may be too good to pass up).  

 

Hyde's usage in the pass game will be what you saw against Minny.  Hyde has always had soft hands, and there is no pass specialist (like Riddick or Thompson) to deprive Hyde of his targets.  Heck, there isn't even someone like Coleman, who may have looked more attractive to Shanahan on pass downs than Freeman.  It is even possible that Hyde gets targeted some large percentage of the total that Freeman and Coleman were targeted combined.  What a bonanza that would be, especially in PPR?

 

I'm guessing that the O-line ends up better than middle of the pack this season in pass pro, but worse than middle of the pack in run blocking.  LT Staley, C Kilgore, and RT Brown will be decent in both phases.  The guards, whoever they end up being, will be replacement level in pass pro, but suck in the run game.  The guard play might improve a bit with the pending return of Josh Garnett, but that is not something to bank on.  Sure, Garnett was a first rounder who Baalke traded up to acquire, but he's done nothing yet to prove that he's more than replacement level.  By contrast, Cody Whitehair, the guy Baalke could have drafted much later (and without paying a premium to move up to get), has already proven to be an excellent pro.

   

Edited by Rolling Thunder
Link to post
Share on other sites

It is stunning (to me at least) that SF is rostering only 2 legit RBs at the moment, if we exclude FB Juice and special teams maven Mostert as RBs.  Just Hyde and  Breida, an UDFA who hails from tiny Georgia Southern?  

 

My posts promoting Breida date back to draft day, so I am not shocked he won a roster spot.  But he is a raw rookie from a fringe FBS program.  The competition Breida faced in the Sun Belt didn't prepare him for the NFL.

 

I defended Hyde when the entire media wanted us to believe he was on the way out in SF.  I have had Hyde ranked as my #11 RB for months (PPR).  But even this development has me SMH.  Unless there are plans in place to add real depth, Hyde has the look of a guy who is facing usage (in a potentially productive offense) far beyond what any of us envisioned when Shanahan famously pounded the table in April for Williams.

 

Edited by Rolling Thunder
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rolling Thunder said:

It is stunning (to me at least) that SF is rostering only 2 legit RBs at the moment, if we exclude FB Juice and special teams maven Mostert as RBs.  Just Hyde and  Breida, an UDFA who hails from tiny Georgia Southern?  

 

My posts promoting Breida date back to draft day, so I am not shocked he won a roster spot.  But he is a raw rookie from a fringe FBS program.  The competition Breida faced in the Sun Belt didn't prepare him for the NFL.

 

I defended Hyde when the entire media wanted us to believe he was on the way out in SF.  I have had Hyde ranked as my #11 RB for months (PPR).  But even this development has me SMH.  Unless there are plans in place to add real depth, Hyde has the look of a guy who is facing usage (in a potentially productive offense) far beyond what any of us envisioned when Shanahan famously pounded the table in April for Williams.

 

 

 

Lots of rb's on the market  for depth and I think Hyde is criminally undervalued in ppr because he will get VOLUME. He is a proven talented runner from a fantasy prospective and the team on paper is better than it was last year.  I get how sexy rookie rb's look and  get all of the write ups but taking fournette with all of the question marks (injury-qb-ivory/yeldon vulturing) has me scratching my head. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We've seen him do good things, he's got Shannaha, he's got little threat behind him, I think he's going later than he should be and I've been enjoying grabbing him fairly late after people use their 2nd and 3rd round picks on these rookies.  I've never seen people be so high on rookie rb's before this season.  In fact I feel they used to shy away from them until Elliot bursted out last season and suddenly everyone is all about them.  I'll take Hyde over the rookies every time when I'm drafting.

Edited by Kyle87
Link to post
Share on other sites

Anybody worried about negative game script with Hyde?  Niners will be down in plenty of games, taking the ball out of his hands.  Or do we think that he'll make up for that in catches given that Hightower is no longer around?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CooL said:

Anybody worried about negative game script with Hyde?  Niners will be down in plenty of games, taking the ball out of his hands.  Or do we think that he'll make up for that in catches given that Hightower is no longer around?

 

Yeah, in PPR leagues he will be fine with his pass catching. He is solid at that. His issue is staying healthy. Past history shows he has to contend with that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

To echo what Rolling is saying, Hyde looks to have moved into that game script immune 'offense flows through me' area of Gurley/Fournette. They simply don't have the roster to take him off the field unless they're seeing a ton of upside in Mostert, who did look like a Shannahan player (speed kills). In pos scripts, which should happen in 5-9 games a year, he's a 3 down volume back behind a middle of the road to bad offensive line. Early returns from Hoyer look encouraging, and the worst you can say is that Hyde faced a similar if not worse situation last year under Chip. 

 

In negative scripts, Shanny's already shown a strong passing usage for Hyde, who seems a natural fit, and there's literally no one else on the team (maybe Mostert) to take him off the field. Honestly, the offense looks like it'll seriously move if they treat every possession like a 2 minute drill and just have hyde run routes. 

 

I took Carlos as a value pick expecting ~250 carries and ~35 receptions. It's not crazy to think that after the roster cuts/IR moves he's moved up into that 280-320 carry range with 50-60 receptions per game script. His efficiency and yards after contact may dip a little, but that's a solid early round pick now, bad team and all. Those are Gurley-esque numbers, right?

 

Edited by Mahomet
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/29/2017 at 10:42 AM, Gohawks said:

I ended up taking him 26 overall (top of 3rd round).

 

A view Hyde as one of the last valuable RBs. Once you get to guys like TY, CMC, Mixon, CJA, and etc things become a little difficult. Since I wouldn't pick again until 47 I was in no way comfortable with any of those guys as my RB2 especially in standard. Allen Robinson for instance as WR 2 >>>>>>>> CJA as RB2.

 

That being said, while 26 is a reach in a sense Hyde is a great RB2. He is a talented guy and if he can stay healthy he is a very very good bet for RB1. 16 game pace last year was RB13. @Rolling Thunder most likely knows a lot more about the situation but I think his situation this year is far improved than last year. My biggest question is the line.

 

I am of the exact same opinion when it comes to your take on RB2 do I am curious to hear your take on how you would view Doug Martin once he comes back compared to Hyde and the other RB2s you mentioned. Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...